Random Software topics

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
lets add another layer on top of the already complicated system to make it easier... Its just all shortcuts to things that exist already. Nothing new here.

"PC Boost" will display the current memory usage and the number of "Temporary files," and clicking the "Boost" button will terminate unnecessary background processes to free up resources from memory and delete temporary files that should help enhance the system performance without restarting the computer.
Cleaning temp files on storage is an odd way to clear ram. Its the phone mentality again, everything on your PC isn't always loaded... deleting files that aren't running in storage won't help. Won't it just make new temp files? Its a great way to increase internet usage. Constantly deleting info PC uses.

As for clearing ram, they now introduce a function that works against how windows memory management has been dealing with data from applications you may have used today - it compresses it into ram as its easier to uncompress data there than to load from storage. I have words for them that I can't say here :)

If you constantly out of ram, buy more. Its better than running off page file, and faster.

Unless you actually getting out of memory errors, windows can manage the memory in a way you don't notice how much memory you have. Old true statement - Empty ram is wasted ram. (ignores fact he has 19gb free). Let the OS do it, stop messing with it. You can make PC slower in process.

"Health check" lists temporary files that can be deleted and the apps that can be disabled at startup to improve the overall performance.
temp files again. The startup thing might be useful. It won't ever suggest closing Microsoft programs and well, I block Defender, Edge, Teams & To Do from loading with windows. It would probably re enable those...

Protection tab just runs Defender... and lets you check Windows update and set default apps (strange place for that choice).

The "Taskbar repair" option includes settings to restore the Taskbar to its default configuration and turn off toolbars if enabled.
Depends on if any files actually repaired in process and not just defaults reset, it might be okay. As for toolbars, you can't set them up in Win 11 now so this is just a stupid statement.

The "Storage" page automatically scans and makes it easier to free up drive space with a single click.
As does storage sense now

The "Manage large files" option is a simple shortcut to search large files on File Explorer, and there's a direct shortcut to the Storage sense settings.
Maybe useful sometimes if you want to clear space.

App management - A dumbed down version of Task Manager - Can they bring back BOB or Clippy? I guess CO Pilot is it now. Shame it only shows you how to do things but can't actually just do them.

Toolbox - Windows tools... exists now...

One reason for it to exist is to maybe let some people know they don't have to buy Symantic applications or ccleaner to do this sort of thing now, The tools were always in windows. 3rd party tools would charge you for the interface. Less money wasted on useless applications, the better. Parasites.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
@Colif @CParsons & other Firefox users:

Giving FF another shot, but stymied at one of first settings:

XVkFvkK.png

The tick box is greyed out. Tried a couple of suggestions from searches, incl History…

cq2NH0o.png

…but that's greyed too :(
Another suggestion I'm not interested in is using the menu to close the browser—this function is too basic to justify working around.

Is there a magic handshake I'm missing?

• Love
YouTube search filters

Does anyone know of a way to get YouTube search filters to 'stick', ie to remain 'on' for the next search?

HyxmFTA.png

Eg I have 3 filters selected above:
This month
Video
4-20 minutes

I would like to avoid having to re-enter these filters for the next search.

that would be too easy... i wish I could sort my recommended but why give people ability to control what they see? Choice is bad, lets have the AI guess... lets make a headphones choice and fill it with everything else...

I would think you probably need an add on to do that sort of thing, but I can't find any that do that. Most just let you set keywords but the when and how long don't seem to have controls.

we have dumbed down search engines. I did a library course, I know what is possible but no... that would confuse people and let them find what they actually want without us being able to sell them things... bad idea. Controlling info is how publishers survive.

wonder if any applications that still exist that do the searches for you

started PC today and noticed a weather widget on my lock screen at startup... I don't normally see the lock screen at all at start so that was one thing, but weather widget is even newer

Fun fact is its not just win 11 that gets it, everyone on win 10 does as well starting this month

some people with slower PC might like it but it slows down my startup process

If you don’t want to see this experience, you can navigate to Settings > Personalization > Lock screen > Lock screen status and select None.

I killed it as my PC normally starts on the logon screen, I don't want to hit an extra key just to achieve same thing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts