Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
Hey,

I've got a Lenovo Y720 gaming laptop, it comes with a basic 8gb samsung RAM.
I'm looking at upgrading and have looked into what I want to get and am looking at Corsair Vengeance RAM.

The question I have is, I want to upgrade to 16gb, should I get 2x 8gb Corsair Vengeance RAM and replace the RAM I already have?
Or would I be alright to get 1x 8gb and use the new RAM alongside what is standard in the laptop?

Thanks

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
Hey,

I've got a Lenovo Y720 gaming laptop, it comes with a basic 8gb samsung RAM.
I'm looking at upgrading and have looked into what I want to get and am looking at Corsair Vengeance RAM.

The question I have is, I want to upgrade to 16gb, should I get 2x 8gb Corsair Vengeance RAM and replace the RAM I already have?
Or would I be alright to get 1x 8gb and use the new RAM alongside what is standard in the laptop?

Thanks

Assuming your laptop has 1 x 8gb and not 2 x 4gb, you should be able to add an extra stick of RAM.

You can use CPU-Z's SPD tab to see exactly what you have installed RAM-wise - specifically the timings and even the part number - to let you buy the same.

NB: it is very occasionally the case that RAM that has the same timings and even the same part number doesn't play nice with existing RAM, but you're very likely to be fine.

Apr 8, 2020
Visit site
RAM performs significantly better when the sticks are in matching pairs. The 8GB RAM that's already in your laptop is almost certainly two sticks of 4GB each.

EDIT: Apparently you never said how much RAM you have. Oopsie. The advice still stands though, even if the GB numbers are different.

If your laptop has four RAM slots, you could get two more 4GB sticks of RAM -- make sure it's the same DDR level (3 or 4) and the same speed (number of MHz) as the sticks you've already got. It's significantly preferable to buy the exact same model as what's already in there.

If you're stuck with only two RAM slots, you'll have to replace everything you have with a kit of two 8GB sticks. You'll be less restricted in the type of RAM you can buy, but there are still very important things you need to know first!

BE CERTAIN to look up what type of RAM your EXACT model of laptop can use! Different motherboards & PC's have different types of RAM they can accept. The max amount in GB and the max speed in MHz are important, as is the DDR level it uses.

The DDR level of your laptop is strict and is not compatible with higher or lower levels. You won't even be able to physically put the wrong type in your laptop because the slots are different.

Laptop and desktop RAM are different. You cannot use desktop RAM in a laptop, or vice-versa -- again because the slots are different.

It's possible (but very unlikely) your laptop won't even be able to accept more than 8GB of RAM. Again, look up your model before buying.

Lastly, the highest MHz number that your laptop can accept is what you should aim for. Lower numbers are acceptable if your budget is limited.

EDIT II: Your operating system needs to be 64-bit in order to use more than 4GB of RAM. 32-bit OS's are getting rarer and rarer, but you'll still need to make sure your Windows (or Linux if that's what you've got) is 64-bit.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
Sorry I should of made it clearer.

I've looked into what I have and what is compatible with my laptop. It takes DDR4.
I have 1 x 8gb (Samsung) that came standard,
I have 2 slots, so 1 currently free for more RAM,
My laptop can take upto 32gb but I don't need that much.
My laptop is limited to 2400mh.

I was looking at getting the Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400mhz.

The question was really aimed at would be alright to keep the basic Samsung 8gb RAM that is already in the laptop and just top it up with a Corsair Vengeance 8gb to make it up to 16gb

Or would that be alright or would it potentially lead to the Samsung RAM struggling because of the better RAM I install or visa versa where the Corsair is doing everything because it's the better RAM and it wear it out quicker.
I could get 2x Corsair and replace the Samsung already installed but if I could save myself that extra money then that would be ideal.

It's just to get more computer minded people's opinion on if I should just replace what I have or if topping up my RAM with better and different branded RAM would be alright.

The question was really aimed at would be alright to keep the basic Samsung 8gb RAM that is already in the laptop and just top it up with a Corsair Vengeance 8gb to make it up to 16gb
See my post - the answer I gave there is almost certainly yes. :)

There is no meaningful advantage to Brand A RAM vs Brand B for your purposes.

You do want whatever you buy to be the same frequency and timings as your current RAM.

I would probably try to buy RAM with the same part number (i.e. another Samsung piece with the same model number as your current RAM), in preference to Corsair Vengeance.

You could also use something like Crucial's tool which 'scans' your system and offers to sell you RAM they guarantee will be compatible:
The tool has always been very good when I've used it, though I would also check that the frequency and timings of what they propose you buy match what you have.

As above, use CPU-Z and its SPD tab to check exactly what the timings and part number of your current RAM is.

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
See my post - the answer I gave there is almost certainly yes.

There is no meaningful advantage to Brand A RAM vs Brand B for your purposes.

You do want whatever you buy to be the same frequency and timings as your current RAM.

I would probably try to buy RAM with the same part number (i.e. another Samsung piece with the same model number as your current RAM), in preference to Corsair Vengeance.

You could also use something like Crucial's tool which 'scans' your system and offers to sell you RAM they guarantee will be compatible:
The tool has always been very good when I've used it, though I would also check that the frequency and timings of what they propose you buy match what you have.

As above, use CPU-Z and its SPD tab to check exactly what the timings and part number of your current RAM is.

Yeah I have used Crucials tool, that's where I started. The Corsair I know will fit because I've checked everything with a mate of mine who is more computer savvy than me.

So yeah I would need to get either the same Samsung RAM I currently have or replace it and get 2x 8gb if I wanted to swap to Corsair Vengeance.

Cheers for your help.

You can buy 1 x 8 gb of any brand of RAM you like.

Ideally, I would try to buy the same model number as what you already have

But as long as it has the same frequency and timings, you can buy what you like. e.g. if you can't get that Samsung RAM, but Crucial or Corsair sell RAM that has the same frequency and timings, that should be fine to just add 1 x 8gb of that. And it is likely to be fine. Crucial apparently guarantee it will be if bought via their scanner, so if it doesn't play nice with what you have, you'd be covered.

You are unlikely to need to replace the existing RAM.

Reactions: MattyPH

TRENDING THREADS