Quake 1 RTX has become a reality!

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I waited for this moment for a very long time! Fully ray traced Quake has become a fact. It doesn't look as good as Quake 2 RTX, but it looks awesome nonetheless. It's a work of one person, the same which brought us Serious Sam and Doom with ray tracing effects. This one has a cool feature though. You can change renderers on the fly with the "f" key, so it's easy to compare the standard version with RTX.

The modded game runs great. I haven't noticed any fps drops with DLSS set on Quality with RTX 2070 Super. Generally the game looks better than the RTX mod for Doom. I'm wondering what miracles will be possible with Nvidia Remix. This should make the game look even better! Here are the necessary files and installation guide:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYziPapZWDw&t=1s

Last edited:

Sarafan

Community Contributor
That does look nice for Quake 1. Man, Quake was beautiful when it came out. I think it might have been the first game I had ever seen with moving clouds. But it's very outdated now. I'm surprised at how good this makes it look.

I wouldn't say it's outdated if you treat it as a retro shooter. ;) Of course we can't compare it to modern shooters for obvious reasons. And I agree that it looks lovely with ray tracing. My only issue is that some parts look a little too bright which has influence on the dark and gloomy atmosphere of the game. But it gives it a new style, that's for sure. :)

TRENDING THREADS