Power supply question

May 22, 2023
Visit site
Every time I researched about a PSU brand(thermaltake,cooler master,corsair,gamemax) I saw people complaining about it and I can't really tell what's a good brand anymore

I'm planning on getting this one for my 5700xt + r5 5600
MWE 650 BRONZE - V2

Since 650w Is more than enough and it gives me room for further upgrades later.

What makes this PSU bad though "cooler master" is known to be a reliable PSU brand.

May 22, 2023
Visit site
Hi, Its not really about the brand its about the exact model in question and the price you pay. Corsair has some not great PSU's as does Seasonic and EVGA for example.

That one seems to be a pretty good budget option.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwgqP9C31U0

I'm very limited to the options, this one is the best value I can find where I live since Corsair's VS650 is 20$ more expensive here.

I usually undervolt my parts for better power usage, I plan to get a 4070 in the future maybe for 2k gaming

It should be pretty much enough?

May 22, 2023
Visit site
Thanks guys for responding. I ended up requesting a cooler master 650w mwe v2

I'll be running it on a r5 5600 & rx5700xt

I'll leave my experience here once I receive it (I had a 350w one from CM that did great for 5 years but had an annoying coil whine)

I hope I don't get to hear that coil whine again.

Reactions: Brian Boru
May 22, 2023
Visit site
hey I got the power supply

It's insanely loud when gaming though my cpu only consumes 50w & my gpu takes 110w (i have both undervolted)

Is that normal for a 650w mwe v2???

Sounds like either you have a faulty on or youre sensitive to noise. If it bothers you, you should probably return it.

If you want a recommendation based on quality and silence, you'd need to post what country you're in and your maximum budget.

If you dont want to do that, here is a basic tier list of PSU quality.

Its not exhaustive or perfect but it does have a lot of units included. Tier C as an absolute minimum for gaming. The FSP Hexa you looked at earlier is in Tier C (budget) with a speculative position. Basically means they cant find anywhere that tested it properly but someone has seen pictures of the internals and it seems OK for a budget option.

Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS