Post your Movie Reviews

Here is a place for posting your movie reviews with the community. Short to the point or lengthy is up to you. I will start with the latest I have seen and that I would like to recommend:

Jojo Rabbit [2019] - IMBD
Director: Taika Waititi​
Writers: Taika Waititi (screenplay) & Christine Leunens (novel)​
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL4McUzXfFI

The story
Set in the last chapter of WWWII this at times satirical story follows a German boy named Jojo. He goes to a Hitler youth camp with his good friend, Yorki. Jojo is having some problems adapting to the military, but thankfully he got an imaginary friend, Adolf Hitler, who is always there to cheer him up and advise him. All is not good though. While Joji is trying his best to become a soldier, his mother has been hiding a Jewish teenager in the attic. Eventually, they meet each other and Jojo finds himself in quite the predicament and so the embarking journey of self-realizing and destruction unfolds in an over the top world filled with crazy characters, dark moments and puns.

The Acting
For most parts, it is good. Let's start with the smaller roles first: Sam Rockwell plays Captain Klenzendorf, the one in charge of the youth camp. He manages to blend the at times goofy character with a lemon twist of propagandistic sincerity. Rebel Wilson plays Raulein Rahm, another leading figure at the youth camp. Wilsons role, unfortunately, does not fit the satirical world because of the at times insane overacting. Yes, this movie brings an exaggeration, but it is mostly done with fingerspitzengefuhl, while Wilson's role is not. Gestapo officers Deertz is played by Stephen Merchant. Deertz is the socially awkward, but painstakingly meticulous officer, you do not want creeping around in your apartment.

The bigger roles: Joji, played by Roman Griffin Davis is the leading character in this movie. Davis does an incredibly good job of balancing the different emotions you would expect from a young kid who is having an identity crisis, all while having to cope with the Jewish girl, his imaginary friend and the trauma of war. His friend, Yorki, is played by Archie Yates and the most charming character of them all. While not having many parts in the movie, he sure leaves a good footprint as the childish, clumsy, naive, but also at times wise character. He could easily have had the leading role. The last acting child in the movie is the Jewish teenager, Elsa, played by Thomasin McKenzie. A good specter of emotions which give us the authenticity of a teenager in sorrow, while also taking Joji under the wings as 'big sister'.

The last two roles are Rosie, Jojo's mother played by Scarlett Johansson and Jojo's imaginary friend Adolf Hitler, played by Taika Waititi. Johansson did a solid role in showing motherly qualities, all while trying to dampen the incredibly dangerous situations they are living in. Taika Waititi gives a good interpretation of Adolf Hitler. He is stupidly dangerous and naive as only a dictator could be, all while having the vampiric charm we remember him from in his role as Viggo in What We Do in The Shadows (2014).

The Conclusion

While being a satirical movie, it is also hard-hitting at times. You will laugh, but you will also cry. The moments when that happens is so well made and cleverly built, that you sit back in awe for the appreciation of a well-directed scene. For this particular movie, it is the dialogue that is what makes it so good. The music, sound effects, sets, lighting & costumes are mainly there to push the dialogue to greater heights. The one negative side of the movie that stands out at times is that while it is for the most part quite satirical, the comedic effects are not always satirical, even if it does mix common types of satire. Overall, I had a great time and left the cinema being content.

8/10

Last edited:
Here is a place for posting your movie reviews with the community. Short to the point or lengthy is up to you. I will start with the latest I have seen and that I would like to recommend:

Jojo Rabbit [2019] - IMBD
Director: Taika Waititi​
Writers: Taika Waititi (screenplay) & Christine Leunens (novel)​
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL4McUzXfFI

The story
Set in the last chapter of WWWII this at times satirical story follows a German boy named Jojo. He goes to a Hitler youth camp with his good friend, Yorki. Jojo is having some problems adapting to the military, but thankfully he got an imaginary friend, Adolf Hitler, who is always there to cheer him up and advise him. All is not good though. While Joji is trying his best to become a soldier, his mother has been hiding a Jewish teenager in the attic. Eventually, they meet each other and Jojo finds himself in quite the predicament and so the embarking journey of self-realizing and destruction unfolds in an over the top world filled with crazy characters, dark moments and puns.

The Acting
For most parts, it is good. Let's start with the smaller roles first: Sam Rockwell plays Captain Klenzendorf, the one in charge of the youth camp. He manages to blend the at times goofy character with a lemon twist of propagandistic sincerity. Rebel Wilson plays Raulein Rahm, another leading figure at the youth camp. Wilsons role, unfortunately, does not fit the satirical world because of the at times insane overacting. Yes, this movie brings an exaggeration, but it is mostly done with fingerspitzengefuhl, while Wilson's role is not. Gestapo officers Deertz is played by Stephen Merchant. Deertz is the socially awkward, but painstakingly meticulous officer, you do not want creeping around in your apartment.

The bigger roles: Joji, played by Roman Griffin Davis is the leading character in this movie. Davis does an incredibly good job of balancing the different emotions you would expect from a young kid who is having an identity crisis, all while having to cope with the Jewish girl, his imaginary friend and the trauma of war. His friend, Yorki, is played by Archie Yates and the most charming character of them all. While not having many parts in the movie, he sure leaves a good footprint as the childish, clumsy, naive, but also at times wise character. He could easily have had the leading role. The last acting child in the movie is the Jewish teenager, Elsa, played by Thomasin McKenzie. A good specter of emotions which give us the authenticity of a teenager in sorrow, while also taking Joji under the wings as 'big sister'.

The last two roles are Rosie, Jojo's mother played by Scarlett Johansson and Jojo's imaginary friend Adolf Hitler, played by Taika Waititi. Johansson did a solid role in showing motherly qualities, all while trying to dampen the incredibly dangerous situations they are living in. Taika Waititi gives a good interpretation of Adolf Hitler. He is stupidly dangerous and naive as only a dictator could be, all while having the vampiric charm we remember him from in his role as Viggo in What We Do in The Shadows (2014).

The Conclusion

While being a satirical movie, it is also hard-hitting at times. You will laugh, but you will also cry. The moments when that happens is so well made and cleverly built, that you sit back in awe for the appreciation of a well-directed scene. For this particular movie, it is the dialogue that is what makes it so good. The music, sound effects, sets, lighting & costumes are mainly there to push the dialogue to greater heights. The one negative side of the movie that stands out at times is that while it is for the most part quite satirical, the comedic effects are not always satirical, even if it does mix common types of satire. Overall, I had a great time and left the cinema being content.

8/10
Nice review thanks for sharing it. I'll throw my hat into the ring and add a review the next time i see a movie on the big screen.

These days the only type of movie review I like are CinemaSins and commentary on how 99.99% the fan theories thrown out there are wrong, especially if it includes openly mocking the people that came up with the fan theory in the first place.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I only go to the big screen about once a decade, but I can post about some fun movies none the less.

Red Cliff

This is what "epic" means. If you've been playing Three Kingdoms, you'll recognize some of the characters. The battles are a mix of hard core tactics and fantastical skills. The music is great, the characters are great, it's just all around good stuff! It's also over 4.5 hours long and subtitled, so you're going to need some real time to watch it. The movie is definitely easier to watch the second time, so buying it is a good thing IMHO.

I laughed, I cried, and I wondered if I could build a bomb out of my fish oil pills...

Watched 'Parasite' recently, and although I haven't actually seen any of the films it beat out for best picture I think it's probably deserved. I've loved all of Bong Joon-Ho's prior films for their uniqueness and absurdism and this was no exception. The best I've heard it described is as a more perfect version of Snowpiercer. Highly recommended.

Reactions: Winter Aster
@Mazer I was actually going to write a review for that movie, but I totally forgot about it. I really liked the first half of the movie, but after that, it got a bit stale. It had the potential to be very, very creepy and for some time I did not know what was really going on and was waiting for that real punch in the face. Unfortunately, the whole basement thing did not work at all for me, and what could have been a real gem, withered away to become something of a mediocre movie. Perhaps I thought this would be a much darker movie based on the first half.

Reactions: Mazer
Aug 15, 2020
Visit site
Watched Huner x Hunter: Phantom Rouge. It's been recommended to me several times, so I decided to give it a shot. I usually don't like anime movies, but this one has a great plot. Amazing set of characters, not whole action-packed, but the action scenes are good. For anime, especially Hunter x Hunter fans, I highly recommend watching the movie.

TRENDING THREADS