Popular Music with Attitude.

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Zloth

Community Contributor
Thanks Zloth didn't know that band:).
They popped up on MTV's 120 Minutes from time to time or I never would have heard of them. The two guys on guitar joined Looking Glass studios when it was starting up, as did the gal on keyboard. She stuck with Looking Glass and Arkane to do some writing as well some voice acting, including a rather recognizable one.

I've had that song on the repeat list in my car for decades and never realized I was hearing SHODAN!

(I love that Sandstorm cover, only just discovered that).
Yes putting Nina with Leonard's lyrics is special. I've always thought that great singers convey emotion, and she does that with power, plus you can hear her history and the history of her people in her voice. Billie Holiday was the same and Charlie Parker through his sax. And representing Spain, Paco de Lucia, the power and expression through his playing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oyhlad64-s&ab_channel=KayoooS

One of the guys from Balkan Beat Box used to be in Gogol Bordello.

That would be madness live!
It's interesting when you listen to bands like Balkan Beat Box, you can hear the range of influences. I have some friends who tend to only listen to music within a few genres and that means they are limiting themselves in what they hear, but also what they're open to.

I realised that with the Loituma track above, I'm so used to vocal harmonies like African choirs(which Paul Simon popularised) to the Beach Boys, it takes a sort of shift to accept something new.

This is the Charlie Parker track I was thinking of. I believe Billie Holiday styled her vocal patterns on the sax(generally).
And the story goes that Bird hated this version so much he threw his sax through the studio window.

Of course it became a classic.

Bird-Lover Man

Reactions: Brian Boru

Zloth

Community Contributor
Yes I like Sade, that whole album and there was one track dedicated to the Salvation Army, Sally.(even after she became famous she would be seen pushing to bump start her old car just off King's road).

I knew the Camper van Beethoven and the Peaches track. It's hard to pinpoint why some tracks like that are so good. In the same way>

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr1znArj0cQ&ab_channel=Savonnette

Reactions: ipman and Alm
Hide the Hyde?

5TeUreD.png

TRENDING THREADS