Poor customer service Alienware/Dell, M17 R4. Any ideas?

May 4, 2021
Visit site
Sorry if this is the wrong forum. It seemed to fit best here.

So, I have been having issues with Dell since day 1. I originally ordered a G7 7700, but it was throttling really badly all the time, so I returned it and thought an Alienware would be better. So, here is the brief recounting of everything so far: Note: I owned an Alienware 17 R2 in the past and LOVED it.

I ordered an Alienware m17 r4 on March 18th and received it on April 7th. The laptop had touchpad issues with delays or not registering clicks, the backlight bleed is intrusive, and the hotkeys don't function properly half the time. There is also a small scuff around one of the screw holes that exposes the metal from when I got it. Basically, the quality for something I paid $3500+ for is not the best. I do like the laptop and the portability is great for the power but I just want something without issues.

I spoke with their customer service and they told me they would build a new m17 r4 for me and ship it to me and upon receipt, return the old laptop since I needed a laptop (my previous laptop died suddenly after almost 6 years). The agent told me my laptop would be expedited since it was needed immediately so I should have it within April. The delivery date passed (April 19th) without an updated delivery time. I contacted support and they said "I would like to inform you that your order is in production and estimated to be delivered on 05/07/2021."

So, yesterday (May 3rd), I checked the tool and found no updates so I contacted Dell again and the agent told me that "my laptop is unable to be built and cannot be delivered because manufacturing said a part was discontinued." I was not previously contacted about this by Dell at all, which really pissed me off. The customer care team told me the only thing they can do is refund me. The agent refused to let me speak to anyone else and told me there is no resolution beyond this because they don't make that laptop any more. Eventually, he told me I could speak to a manager who would call me back within 2 hours. But it has been over 24 hours and nobody has tried to contact me by phone or e-mail. I wrote to the Alienware support online on Facebook yesterday and they said they can't help with order issues so I have to contact customer care again on the phone.

The agent told me they cannot tell me any more details nor help me further. Nor can they create me a new replacement.

How is it possible for a company to hate getting money this much? I want the laptop, I like it, I just want to stop going through this ridiculous fight of BS to get a quality product.

I know the m17 r4 is probably discontinued but surely they would treat customers with current orders better and let them know instead of just acting this way. Has anyone ever dealt with this?

The specs:

m17 r4
i7-10870h
32 gb ram
144 hz screen
3080 16 gb

First may i ask how did you pay for this , did you use a credit card , if so you are onto a winner , contact the credit card company and explain what is happening. They should contact the company and say the machine is quote " not fit for purpose " and should also refuse to allow the item to be paid for until the case is resolved.

With regards to a part been no longer available ... thats their problem not yours.

A few years ago i nearly bought a bell , then i read their customer forums.
Noisy fans , overheating and crashes that new even bells remote access engineers could fix

Reactions: PCB_EE
May 4, 2021
Visit site
First may i ask how did you pay for this , did you use a credit card , if so you are onto a winner , contact the credit card company and explain what is happening. They should contact the company and say the machine is quote " not fit for purpose " and should also refuse to allow the item to be paid for until the case is resolved.

With regards to a part been no longer available ... thats their problem not yours.

A few years ago i nearly bought a bell , then i read their customer forums.
Noisy fans , overheating and crashes that new even bells remote access engineers could fix
I'm not worried about them taking my money and running. All is good there.

I ended up having to escalate to the executive resolution team through an exec. I just want to say, when you get a good computer from Dell/Alienware, it really is great and best on the market IMO. But their QC and customer service is really bad. I had an alienware laptop for almost 6 years as my daily driver. It sucked to deal with Dell to get it but tbh it was worth it because it was near perfect.

TRENDING THREADS