Please update Tekken 8 review to include the added predatory monetization

Mar 30, 2024
Visit site
Tekken 8 already launched at an insane 95$ CAD, with the added price of the character pass coming out soon. Now they have announced that after the reviews are all in and the refund window has passed, they are adding a battle pass! The customisation option was already lacking compared to Tekken 7 and the overall experience was worse, as mentioned in the original review, but they are now also saying the options that were free in Tekken 7 are now part of a premium battlepass!

As a consumer and a longtime Tekken fan, I feel cheated. I shouldn't have to shell out 200-250$ (CAD) for every game I play to be able to enjoy the game to its fullest! I'm starting to feel like I'm being priced out of my hobby...

Maybe this is nostalgia talking but I miss the pre-Horse Armor DLC era of gaming. Sure there were times where games came out with expansions and they were garbage but it still felt like they weren't nickle and diming players.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Unfortunately mtx's are here to stay. Any gamer that remembers life before DLC feel the same way as you but newer gamer generations are growing up on it, older generations have jobs etc. and, as gamers, will always continue to buy no matter the backlash. It only stops if it becomes unprofitable.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Tekken 8 already launched at an insane 95$ CAD, with the added price of the character pass coming out soon. Now they have announced that after the reviews are all in and the refund window has passed, they are adding a battle pass! The customisation option was already lacking compared to Tekken 7 and the overall experience was worse, as mentioned in the original review, but they are now also saying the options that were free in Tekken 7 are now part of a premium battlepass!
Refund windows!? What are you talking about? Is that a console thing? As soon as you play for more than two hours, you're past the refund limit on Steam.

The price seems too high to me, too, but that's easy to solve: don't buy it. Wait until it goes on sale. The 'deluxe upgrade pass' seems even dumber. Eddy Gordo plus "other" fighters? They won't even tell you how many!? NO chance I'm buying that.

What is this premium battlepass? There's no mention of it on Steam.

As a consumer and a longtime Tekken fan, I feel cheated. I shouldn't have to shell out 200-250$ (CAD) for every game I play to be able to enjoy the game to its fullest! I'm starting to feel like I'm being priced out of my hobby...
You haven't been cheated. You knew the characters that were in the game going in and you thought it was worth buying. The fact that more can be bought later, at whatever price, isn't really relevant, is it? You got what you paid for. (Assuming you bought it. If you haven't bought it yet, you obviously haven't been cheated.)

Any gamer that remembers life before DLC feel the same way as you....
Excuse me!? You don't represent all gamers, DXCHASE.

Let me point you all at Dead or Alive 5.

First, the base game is flat out free. You get the full game, but only three (?) fighters. These fighters are NOT gimped and are, in fact, quite popular. If you want more fighters, you can buy them individually or get nearly all of them for a flat fee. There are also outfits... many MANY outfits, costing quite a bit.

So, you can get the game for free and try it out. (Something I strongly recommend, because they did an exceptionally poor job porting the game to PC - it just flat out won't work for some controllers.) If you kinda like it, you'll have a dozen or two hours of fun with the free characters, just like getting a demo and not being sold on the game.

If you do like it, you might buy two or three fighters that interest you. You're fighting against all characters in the base game, so you'll have a good idea how they fight from the free play. If you like the game quite a bit, you can get the package deal for nearly all the characters. If you're crazy into the game, you can pay for some outfits.

The end result being that people who don't like the game all that much pay nothing, people that are kinda into it only pay a little, and only people that really enjoy the game are paying full price. That seems like a great model to me!

I think Dead or Alive 6 did the same thing, but it lets you buy individual outfits, which means it has 463 DLC items! You practically need a search tool to find what you want, but it looks like you can still get individual fighters for a good price and the core game for free.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts