Please help with first time PC build

Mar 12, 2020
Visit site
Hey! I’ve just completed the research for my first ever PC build. Long time gamer, first time customer builder. So, I’m hoping that some people can help me double check this build for my own sanity sake. I’ve looked at these specs over and over, to the point of going cross eyed. Every time I look, I think there’s something else I can tweak. Please tell me if there’s any part of this build that doesn’t fit with the rest. Or please share any alternatives you think would fit better.

I’m in gaming for the stunning visual detail and immersion. I do play single and multiplayer games, but don’t care so much to get the upper refresh rate on others in fast paced games. As long as it’s built to be stable, I want the focus on visual quality.

Thanks for your time and input!

Case: Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
CPU: Intel core i7-9700
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super
Memory: Corsair vengeance RBG PRO 1
Storage: Samsung 860 Eva 1 TB
PSU: Corsair RM550x
Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG27A
Cooling: mounted on the side, Cooler Master’s MasterLiquid ML240R RGB.
Fans: top – 2 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM. Bottom – 3 x Noctua NF-A PWM

*I’ve edited this build to update my cooling/fan build, thanks to the helpful comments so far.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020
Visit site
Just to clarify, i7 9700 or i7 9700k?

And are you getting the case with fans included or one with no fans included? If the latter, what fans are you buying for it?
Im not sure the 9700k is worth the upgrade if I’m not interested in overclocking. Do you think it’s worth the extra money with that in mind?

the case doesn’t come with fans. Is that AIO cooler package enough? Maybe I also need the main intake and outtake fans? If so, I want to go with the largest size possible to reduce sound and increase efficiency.

Mar 12, 2020
Visit site
What is your total system budget?

Overall this build looks well though-out. To clarify, how much memory are you going with? I'm assuming 16GB?

total system budget is $3,000, but that also includes a few hundred for a basic chair and desk. So, I have about $200 more I can add to this build if need be.
I’m definitely planning on 16GB of RAM.

Zoid

Community Contributor
the case doesn’t come with fans. Is that AIO cooler package enough? Maybe I also need the main intake and outtake fans? If so, I want to go with the largest size possible to reduce sound and increase efficiency.
That AIO cooler only comes with the two fans attached to the radiator and is not enough to cool the entire case. You should purchase additional fans for whole-case airflow. I would recommend having positive case air pressure (having more air coming in than going out) since that is helpful in keeping things dust free. It looks like your case supports 120mm fans on the side and bottom and 140mm fans on the top.

Reactions: Oussebon
Mar 12, 2020
Visit site
That AIO cooler only comes with the two fans attached to the radiator and is not enough to cool the entire case. You should purchase additional fans for whole-case airflow. I would recommend having positive case air pressure (having more air coming in than going out) since that is helpful in keeping things dust free. It looks like your case supports 120mm fans on the side and bottom and 140mm fans on the top.
I see my error now with the entire cooling system. I’ve updated the main post to reflect my updates with your suggestions in mind. Here’s what I’ve updated:
Cooling: mounted on the side, Cooler Master’s MasterLiquid ML240R RGB.
Fans: top – 2 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM. Bottom – 3 x Noctua NF-A PWM

Thanks for your help so far!

Reactions: Zoid
Just a small note, instead of editing your initial post, might as well just post as a followup so people can follow through your train of thought. It helps when people can see what has changed from objective 1 to objective 10, when minor changes take place.

;)

Mar 12, 2020
Visit site
Just a small note, instead of editing your initial post, might as well just post as a followup so people can follow through your train of thought. It helps when people can see what has changed from objective 1 to objective 10, when minor changes take place.
Thanks for that advice, I can definitely see how that would help people to continue down the evolution of my build with me. I"ll definitely keep that in mind as I make any future changes. I appreciate you help!

Reactions: Lutfij

TRENDING THREADS