Question Please help my OCD...OR make it worse(but please don't)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello PC hardware lovers

Ill be frank...Ive built my new rig at the beginning of the year and I am really happy with it! My last build before this was in 2014. It was a top of the range PC and was really happy with it too until I had to let it go. So before my latest build I have fallen out with PCs and components for a few years.

Generally before building a PC I go into a ritual for about 2 months in researching PC parts and deciding on the look of the PC that I want to go for. This part of PC building has always been exciting to me.

Now getting to my OCD part... Ill shortly list my current PC specs and describe what has been bugging me ever since I built it.

PC Specs
Intel core i7 9700K
Asus TUF Z390-Plus gaming (Wifi) motherboard
Asus RTX 2080Ti OC
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 2 x 8GB RAM
Noctua NH-D15 cooler
Samsung Evo 860 256GB and 500GB drives for OS and games
Seasonic Prime Ultra 850 Titanium PSU
Housed in a Corsair Crystal series 570X RGB tower with a Corsair Commander Pro

Since the machine has been built I've had 0 issues with it. I usually stress about CPU temps and this machine keeps mid 50s in stress tests and during most games. I generally do not overclock manually so right now keeping 4.6 GHz on all cores.

Heres the kicker... I keep stressing about the motherboard I have chosen... I keep thinking it does not do the rest of the components justice and my OCD has been stressing me out.

So here is the question...Is my overall build fine as it is? Have I gotten a MB thats not on par with the rest of the system? Will a more expensive board give me more performance? Am I overthinking this???

And on a last note...what parts have you ever doubted and stressed about? I hope I am not the only one that ahs experienced this.

Jan 6, 2020
Visit site
You're in great shape with that build, including the motherboard. I mean, there are higher end options, but outside of overclocking bells and whistles and/or more connectivity options (like more USB ports and/or USB-C), there's not a whole to be gained. Certainly not much in the way of stock performance. It's been a bit since I've reviewed a motherboard, but generally speaking, you might see a very small gain in one board from another that uses the same chipset, and that's usually because one is configured to run the CPU just a tad faster at stock.

Agree with PCGPaul, there really is no performance to be gained with a "better" motherboard unless you are a hardcore overclocker or there is some killer feature on the higher end board that you really need. TBH Most of those high end boards (the the ASUS Maximus for example) for most people are just a waste of money.

You did fine.

James

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Your build is fine, but since your specifically mentioning how the MOBO is stressing you out, i'm almost wiling to bet it's because it's black and yellow themed, which doesn't necessarily mesh with the rest of your RGB setup. Though it could if you made all your RGBs a yellow hue, then you'd have a nice yellow and black theme, and that might make you feel it's a better fit.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
The Asus TUF mobo easily keeps up with the rest of your build. In fact, you can overclock that 9700k on that board if you wanted to. The only thing missing are the more extreme overclocking options which you don't need for modest OC. And if you do run at factory limits, that TUF is more than enough to handle that chip. You can relax.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Thank you guys for the replies. I feel more at ease now. Ive had a blast with this machine and now my only concern has been laid to rest. Only things ill change in the futute will probably be replacement of the fans for Corsair LL120s. But dont see any other upgrades regarding performance for awhile. You guys Rock!

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
The build looks good to me, motherboards are kind of buy as you need affairs, and it sounds like this one suits your needs!

Now if we can stop the appropriation of OCD as being "particular" instead of an actual disability, that would be a great step forward.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
The build looks good to me, motherboards are kind of buy as you need affairs, and it sounds like this one suits your needs!

Now if we can stop the appropriation of OCD as being "particular" instead of an actual disability, that would be a great step forward.

Thank you for the reply and I understand what you are saying. While my case of OCD is not chronic (and I have experience with this as my partner is diagnosed) I do feel that I have been compulsive regarding constantly thinking about the motherboard. And I know it might be silly to think its such a non issue and there are more important things in life to think about. To give you more insight that I have not used the term lightly I currently have been struggling with a gallbladder issue that will hopefully be resolved in next month with an operation so I have not been sleeping well for over 5 months due to pain and discomfort...and every night I lay awake theres only one thing on my mind and I can not shake it. Maybe with some great advice from you and the other people I will get some rest...or just move to another thing who knows.

What helped me overcome my hardware psychosis in the past, was remembering WHY I wanted the hardware in the first place.

I just wanted to play good games in Ultra settings. When Control came out, I*needed* to play it in 4K/Ultra/RTX/DLSS. I obsessed over it for weeks until I finally gave in and traded my 1080 for a 2080 Super. Case closed.

In general, look to the end goal to soothe your mind. Unless you are earning money by bench-marking motherboards, I don't see any reasons for you to fret :)

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
That depends on your use case doesn’t it? Everything I care about is already saved online automagically, so local backups aren’t especially important.

Hmm! I've always been a bit hesitant to online backups. Maybe I'm a control freak and just need everything locally in my hands. Restores are faster and don't need online connections, especially after a catastrophic hardware failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS