Planescape setting is back! For real!

Sarafan

Community Contributor
It's a fantastic information for every table-top D&D fan: https://www.pcgamer.com/dandds-next...torment-videogame-will-see-all-sorts-of-nods/. After years of ignoring fans, Wizards of the Coast finally made a decision to bring the setting back to life. This means one more thing: a computer adaptation of Planescape is now possible!

inXile couldn't get permission to use the setting before the actual development of Torment: Tides of Numenera started. WotC was arguing that Planescape setting is dead and it doesn't want to resurrect it. Now it's actually possible to develop Planescape: Torment 2! And I don't have to tell you who is the best candidate fit enough for making the game... ;)

I've already sent the idea to Larian. I believe it's one of the few companies that's capable of delivering a quality Planescape game. It doesn't have to be Torment 2 though. I'd be happy with any computer RPG that uses this license. The more people want it, the higher the possibility that it'll become a reality, so if you have some free time, please contact Larian about the matter: https://larian.com/contact. ;) Given that BG3 is in their portfolio, there shouldn't be any problem in getting license from WotC.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
And I don't have to tell you who is the best candidate fit enough for making the game... ;)
Harebrained Schemes! They did great with the turn-based, wordy Shadowrun games.
I've already sent the idea to Larian.
What? Nnoooo! They need to do Divinity not-original-sin 3!! It's been over 12 years since I played Divinity 2, and you know I didn't play it when it first came out! Though going to a dimension full of were-sheep would be sweet....

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
I personally don't think Larian is the best studio to make a new Planescape game. Planscape torment was a wall of text and wouldn't fit Larians style at all imo. Obsidian might be a better choise, or some Indie studio with a good author.

Just my two cents but I never liked Planescape Torment, to much reading for my taste.
I respect your opinion, but I think Larian Studios could bring a fresh perspective to a new Planescape game, even if it differs from the original.

Reactions: Sarafan
Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
It's a fantastic information for every table-top D&D fan: https://www.pcgamer.com/dandds-next...torment-videogame-will-see-all-sorts-of-nods/. After years of ignoring fans, Wizards of the Coast finally made a decision to bring the setting back to life. This means one more thing: a computer adaptation of Planescape is now possible!

inXile couldn't get permission to use the setting before the actual development of Torment: Tides of Numenera started. WotC was arguing that Planescape setting is dead and it doesn't want to resurrect it. Now it's actually possible to develop Planescape: Torment 2! And I don't have to tell you who is the best candidate fit enough for making the game... ;)

I've already sent the idea to Larian. I believe it's one of the few companies that's capable of delivering a quality Planescape game. It doesn't have to be Torment 2 though. I'd be happy with any computer RPG that uses this license. The more people want it, the higher the possibility that it'll become a reality, so if you have some free time, please contact Larian about the matter: https://larian.com/contact. ;) Given that BG3 is in their portfolio, there shouldn't be any problem in getting license from WotC.
Great news for D&D fans! Wizards of the Coast is finally bringing back the Planescape setting, opening the door for a potential Planescape: Torment 2 or other Planescape computer RPGs.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
I respect your opinion, but I think Larian Studios could bring a fresh perspective to a new Planescape game, even if it differs from the original.
They probably could no doubht about it, I persoanally don't think they would be best suited for it though. Obsidian would be a better choise in my opinion because they have a writing style more suited to a game like planescape torment. But that's my opinion :)

However, Obsidian would maybe not be able to make the game due to the finanses. Planescape torment was never that well selling despite being well liked by both players and critics and Obsidian dosn't have the same lure as Larian does, that dosn't mean Larian would be able to pull it off either though even if the odds would be higher.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts