Pick my next Obsidian cRPG...Pillars 2 or Tyranny

Which cRPG should I play next?

• Pillars of Eternity 2

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Tyranny

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
I love cRPG's, but have never played either of these two games. Kind of ready for it now, but I can't decide which one to play. I loved the first Pillars game, but Tyranny sounds pretty good, also. I'm not sure I can force myself to role-play an evil character in Tyranny, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Reactions: Krud
I haven't played Pillars 2 yet, because I keep telling myself I'll finish Pillars one some day. Tried to get there twice but stopped at some point each time. had fun but its a massive game, and my current situation means I fall off of longer games sometimes when other interesting things come along.

Tyranny I thought was great. The choices it gives you reminded me a bit of the first Witcher game. In a way that sometimes there are no good options but you still have to decide. I found that aspect more interesting then the first Pillars and the story and characters pulled me all the way to the end, almost twice. Its a bit shorter too so maybe it just didnt outstay its welcome like Pillars did for me.

Reactions: Krud and ZedClampet

Zloth

Community Contributor
I didn't like Pillars 2 very much. The main story was interesting but I didn't get to see it much.

I think the killer for me was I couldn't get into any of the factions. All of the factions have good and bad morality, to the point where I don't have any interest in backing any of them AND I have no particular interest in fighting them, either. I played that game for a long time, trying to find a story I could get into, before just giving up.

I never played Tyranny - there always seems to be other things to play, though it definitely sounds interesting.

It's not like those are the only isometrics out there, though. Here's some others to consider:

Getting released tomorrow

And, if you haven't played it yet

I didn't like Pillars 2 very much. The main story was interesting but I didn't get to see it much.

I think the killer for me was I couldn't get into any of the factions. All of the factions have good and bad morality, to the point where I don't have any interest in backing any of them AND I have no particular interest in fighting them, either. I played that game for a long time, trying to find a story I could get into, before just giving up.

I never played Tyranny - there always seems to be other things to play, though it definitely sounds interesting.

It's not like those are the only isometrics out there, though. Here's some others to consider:

Getting released tomorrow

And, if you haven't played it yet

Thanks for the suggestions, but I already own Tyranny and Pillars 2, so I'm going to play one of those before getting a new game.

Reactions: Krud and Zloth
I haven't played (or purchased) Tyranny yet, which is unusual for me because I love most of Obsidian's RPGs & cRPGs. I think it was the thing about playing on the evil side that put me off (although I have read that there are multiple ways to approach that).

I have played through and loved both Pillars of Eternity games twice now, while I still give the edge to POE1's main story line, there are a host of improvements in Deadfire. There are a few things that I wished they had done differently (and I won't list them here for spoiler reasons), but it's still an excellent cRPG. Textures, lighting, and combat have been greatly improved, and you can even walk & fight in standing water which is something I've rarely (if ever) seen in a cRPG. Plus, they've added a turn based mode, though I've never used it (and I think that's what you prefer?). I still recommend real time w/pause, but that's just me.

qtZWtYh.jpg

5NPDL1L.jpg

xZdhiDW.jpg

uHSktJ7.jpg

Reactions: ZedClampet
I didn't love PoE (as much as I wanted to), and I can only assume PoE2 is more of the same, but I haven't actually played it yet.

Meanwhile I'm really enjoying Tyranny (have owned it for ages but only just recently started playing.) It's a different enough spin on things that I don't feel any sort of deja vu that I sometimes get with these sorts of games. It's also the only time I've ever played a ruthless character in an RPG. (Unless you count [redacted for spoilers].)

Reactions: ZedClampet
I haven't played Pillars 2 yet, because I keep telling myself I'll finish Pillars one some day. Tried to get there twice but stopped at some point each time.

I still need to play The White Marches expansions.

I "accidentally" finished PoE1 -- I didn't realize at the time that I was on a fast track to the ending. (They give a text warning that you're entering a "one way" locale, but I failed to grok the significance of said warning. I had just thought it was like in other games I'd played where you're unable to leave a certain mission area for a while.) And because of this, a lot of my followers' questlines were unfulfilled, so I need to go back and do those as well.

I "accidentally" finished PoE1 -- I didn't realize at the time that I was on a fast track to the ending. (They give a text warning that you're entering a "one way" locale, but I failed to grok the significance of said warning. I had just thought it was like in other games I'd played where you're unable to leave a certain mission area for a while.) And because of this, a lot of my followers' questlines were unfulfilled, so I need to go back and do those as well.

Oops! That's why I try to keep a decent sized list of saves in RPG's. Always nice to go back if you need to, dont always remember though.

I finished the dungeon below the castle you get and did a lot of other side quests up to a point I think I went to the White March, got destroyed and fell off the first time I played it. Its been 2 years since I loaded the game, although that might have been another false start. Apparently I've spent 120 hours in there over two attempts so had my fun with it for sure.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
I would recommend, go for Tyranny.

Why?
First, it's much shorter than PoE 2. And different

Second, it's different. A breath of fresh air.

Third, it's similar in mechanics, but adds a little bit here and there.

It's not as vast as PoE, but it has some replayability, some cool ideas for the world (I mean, how often you're playing on evil side? That has WON and conquered the world?).

After that, switching to PoE 2 shouldn't be an issue.

PoE 2 is much bigger than Tyranny and keeps much closer to the traditional cRPGs. It's improved in many areas over the first Pillars, but also it lacks the "something". That little thing that made me replay PoE1 few times, but never Deadfire.

It's improved in many areas over the first Pillars, but also it lacks the "something". That little thing that made me replay PoE1 few times, but never Deadfire.

That's pretty much how I feel about POE2, even though I loved the experience and improvements, there were certain "things" that felt lacking, rushed, incomplete, or maybe just not developed as far as they could have been. I can't really go into detail on what I felt those "things" were because of spoilers to those who haven't played. But I definitely agree with your assessment.

Those 2 White March expansions are 2 of the best DLCs Obsidian has developed. They can be brutal if you try to go there at too low a level, but the story line and game play are excellent. Well worth playing POE again just to experience them.

Sep 14, 2021
Visit site
I love cRPGs, but have never played either of these two games. Kinda ready for it now, but I can't decide which one to play. I loved the first Pillars game

Reactions: Zloth

TRENDING THREADS