PCIE 4.0 GPU on PCIE 5.0 Mobo = any extra % of GPU Grunt/Power?

Hello

This would be for a 12700k system, 16/32GB, Win 10/11

Would a PCIE 4.0 GPU perform any better on a PCIE 5.0 motherboard ? Even a little?

Also, I assume PCIE- 5.0 GPU's don't really exist on the market yet?

Thank you for your time

Would a PCIE 4.0 GPU perform any better on a PCIE 5.0 motherboard ? Even a little?
No, cause its only PCIe4. It can't do better than its max speed. Its unlikely to be even near its max speed as we don't even cap out PCIe 3.0 on GPU yet

I don't know what the rush to PCIe 5 is, what actually shows a benefit?
NVME are fast enough now at 3, 4 doesn't add that much and they already onto 5? most people don't even have nvme yet
same with wifi 6, slow down already...
Does it offer more channels for CPU? whats point?
what actually needs PCIe 5 speeds now? Progress is nice but does it have to be so explosive?

Reactions: Brian Boru
No, cause its only PCIe4. It can't do better than its max speed. Its unlikely to be even near its max speed as we don't even cap out PCIe 3.0 on GPU yet

I know there are often losses of power/data etc in systems... so I wondered with all the extra headroom maybe it might be a very small improvement. That was my thinking anyway

cheers

Things like our graphics cards don't really need the obscene amounts of bandwidth PCIe 5.0 delivers, at least not right now. After all, not even the biggest and most powerful from NVIDIA's current lineup, the RTX 3090, manages to saturate a PCIe 4.0 x16 connection fully. However, there are many use cases where PCIe 5.0 might come in handy, both for consumer use cases and more professional ones. Devices that can benefit from having more bandwidth will be able to make use of it properly, while others that don't really need more speed can instead work more efficiently using fewer lanes.
most of the benefits mentioned are for storage

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS