PC turns on, then immediately cuts power

Jun 7, 2023
Visit site
Context: I am building my dad a PC with old parts that I have laying around. All of these parts I have used in the past so I know that they worked before I upgraded my own rig and switched these parts out.

PC Parts:
CPU - AMD FX-8320
Motherboard - GA-970A-DS3P
GPU - 1050
Ram - Two sticks of DDR3 2133 MHZ
PSU (New) - Thermaltake 500W

Things I have tried:
- Reseating ram sticks
- Removing CMOS battery
- Replacing CMOS battery
- Used the PSU that I know works because it powers my current rig
- Only using one ram stick

On two separate occasions, the PC did not immediately cut power after being turned on. Both times were after I cleared the CMOS, by removing the battery for 30+ minutes. The first time was with my rigs PSU, I turned the PC off and then plugged in the GPU and tried to power on the PC, but was back to the same problem. The second time was with the new PSU, I plugged in the GPU, but as soon it touched the PCIE slot it cut power.

Jun 9, 2023
Visit site
it seems like there may be an issue with the graphics card or the PCIE slot on the motherboard. The fact that the computer immediately cuts power when attempting to plug in the GPU suggests that there may be a short circuit occurring.

One thing you can try is testing the graphics card in another system to see if it works properly. Alternatively, you can also try using a different graphics card in the problematic system to isolate whether the issue is with the GPU or not.

If neither of these solutions works, it’s possible that there is an issue with the PCIE slot on your motherboard. In this case, you may need to replace your motherboard to get your system up and running properly.

It’s important to note that while reseating RAM sticks and replacing CMOS batteries are good troubleshooting steps, they are unlikely to be causing this particular issue.

The second time was with the new PSU, I plugged in the GPU, but as soon it touched the PCIE slot it cut power.
This part makes it sound like you tried to plug in the GPU while the system was powered on? That wouldnt be advisable and probably would cause damage to both/either the motherboard or GPU.

You have double checked all cables and connections?

Tried booting with only one stick of RAM in different slots.

Those parts are pretty old and that motherboard has pretty low end power delivery for a CPU that uses a fair bit of power, I'd be suspecting the motherboard unfortunately. Of course its worth checking everything else possible before coming to that conclusion if you dont have a spare one available to try.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS