PC Gamer Reviews

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Proving once again that I have questionable taste, colony sim Against the Storm gets a 91. I've tried over and over to play this game, starting probably 6 new games, and it just doesn't click with me.

I've decided to resurrect this thread for reviews I'm interested in rather than every single review, which was what I was trying to do before. Obviously, everyone is welcome to add reviews they want to discuss.

Against the Storm

"A roguelike city builder"
Oh for suck face, is nothing sacred? Where can we be safe from rogues?

Scardew Volley—roguelike farming community, grow 'em 'til you mow 'em… unless you get ploughed under :devilish:

Hey ho, a chance to be 'that guy':
"Maslowe's hierarchy"—bad typo, bold author :(

93 on Metacritic—so yeah Zed, it is in fact you.

"incremental progress, assuring me that my next expedition will always be just a bit better equipped than my last"

Is that a really interesting motivational mechanic, or just a deceptive camouflage for unending grind? When I replay a game, each replay naturally improves my performance via experience anyway, until I reach my Peter Principle plateau.

Against the Storm

"A roguelike city builder"
Oh for suck face, is nothing sacred? Where can we be safe from rogues?

Scardew Volley—roguelike farming community, grow 'em 'til you mow 'em… unless you get ploughed under :devilish:

Hey ho, a chance to be 'that guy':
"Maslowe's hierarchy"—bad typo, bold author :(

93 on Metacritic—so yeah Zed, it is in fact you.

"incremental progress, assuring me that my next expedition will always be just a bit better equipped than my last"

Is that a really interesting motivational mechanic, or just a deceptive camouflage for unending grind? When I replay a game, each replay naturally improves my performance via experience anyway, until I reach my Peter principle plateau.
The problem for me is that I tend to pick what I think is an optimal strategy and only vary it slightly according to circumstances. I don't mind trying different approaches in a second playthrough, but when I'm all about winning that first playthrough, a roguelike strategy game just becomes me doing exactly the same things over and over.

TRENDING THREADS