PC Gamer Reader Awards - tell us about the laptops you love!

PCG Dave

Staff member
Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
yj02GRV.jpg

What's the PC gaming gear that you've fallen in love with? It doesn't matter whether it's the latest Nvidia graphics card, a 2000-series AMD CPU, or that grinty gaming mouse you picked up a few years back but now can't bear to be without. Whatever it is, we want to know about it.

And we're not necessarily talking about what you think your most powerful superstar component is, or your most expensive purchase, we'd like you to tell us about the different parts of your gaming setup that mean the most to you. If you're regularly gaming with it today, and it sparks joy, then we want you to tell us just why that particular slice of PC gaming has found a place in your heart.

Over the next two weeks we're going to find out just what our PC Gamer readers are gaming with and why you love the kit you do. So each day there will be a new category of gear and we'd love you to get involved and tell us which products speak to you and why. Then we will gather all the entries together, come up with a shortlist for each of the following categories, and you will then have the chance to vote on which products should get the coveted PC Gamer Readers' Award.
Today we're asking about your beloved laptop. Is there a chunky Asus ROG machine still warming your lap, is there an old XPS in your life that simply can't be beat, or will you defend to the hilt the Clevo chassis of the laptop your favourite system builder created for you? Tell us in the thread below, without quoting the original post, first with the name of the product in question, and then just a line or two about why it means so much to you.

And who knows... you might even find yourself featured on the site in our Readers' Awards coverage too.

My wife has this unhealthy obsession with builders/crafters/management sims. Airport management? Check. Prison Warden hijinks? 100% completion. Obscure Loony Carnival Sims? She probably is busy putting together High Efficiency mods for them. Frankly, she terrifies me.

I got her an Asus 17,3" TUF Gaming FX705DT last year and that thing is an absolute beast for the price. Now I have more time to torture myself in Desperados III on my main rig :D

Jul 14, 2020
Visit site
I bought myself an Alienware Area 51m last year for my birthday. It's clunky, heavy, and inconvenient (with 2 power adapters). But I have to say it looks awesome, has amazing performance, and I still can't believe it packs a i9 9990 + desktop grade RTX 2080 in a laptop.

It's my favorite thing right now, and it should be, since I spent $6,500!

Reactions: The Zapper
Jul 14, 2020
Visit site
I probably shouldn't post this considering I don't have one, but figured if PC Gamer wants to know what we like for gaming hardware, I'd post what I've been dreaming of as I've been spending tons of time in a hospital recently due to a cancer diagnosis, and a gaming laptop would be so sweet.

What I will add is that the key for me would be a solid screen with low GTG Response time (4ms and under) and at least 60Hz 1440p or 120Hz/144Hz if 1080p. I think asking for G-Sync on a laptop is a bit much, being as I'm not looking for a desktop killer.

Decent CPU, doesn't need to be top of the line, just decent enough to run games at 1080p/1440p without being a serious bottleneck.

GPU I'd ask for at least a GTX 1660Ti. RTX is really unnecessary for a laptop, so I'd say 1660Ti is the base and see if I can squeeze a 2070 only if it didn't bump the price up too high.

At least 16GB Ram, minimum 2666MHZ. And a small Nvme like 256GB just for Windows and a 1TB SSD for games. The only other requirement would be a keyboard that has a backlight. That's proven useful in the past on airflights more than I expected it would.

Ideally, I would love to find a laptop with those specs that doesn't break $2,000. Not sure if that's possible or not. Also if I could upgrade the Storage myself that would be better as I can deal with whatever comes stock and upgrade in time.

Anyways that's my ideal gaming laptop. If anyone has one like this that already exists please let me know. I'd definitely be interested.

Thanks everyone and have a great day!

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
That would be my Logitech G600 MMO mouse.

It's simply the best mouse ever made, for gaming, text editing, and whatever other tasks you throw at it really. It's the only existing 12-thumb-button mouse that has a genius G-Shift button in the ring finger rest for an insane amount of macros, not to mention the 4 different scroll wheel functions, a combination that you won't find in any comparable MMO mice.

Even with its slightly outdated (albeit still great) sensor and dying switches that have long-outlived their promised 20-million-click lifespan, I stubbornly keep going with it since nothing else compares. I'm sad they stopped producing it and never released an updated model, but I'm hoping to find an unused replacement someday soon.

Jul 16, 2020
Visit site
About 3 years ago, parents started getting sick due to old age. Every time I have to come home and stay for a couple of days (I live in a different city), I always missed gaming on my PC. So eventually I decided to buy a gaming laptop.

I currently use MSI GS75. Their GS is light enough to carry around, but powerful enough to play most games at 60+ FPS on Ultra. Not only can I now game at my parents' home & at the hospital, but practically anywhere which is useful given work requires me to travel a lot.

TRENDING THREADS