PC Gamer CDs: 1998

exo

May 11, 2023
Visit site
Hello!
I have recently gone back and gotten every PC Gamer CD from the first one in 1994 through 1998 and gotten them running through emulation. I used MS-DOS up until January of 1996. In February of 1996 I began using win 3.1 through June of 1998. In July of 1998, the menu system changed and was designed for Win 95\98. However, I can not actually get the July 98 or Aug 98 disks running, both give page faults in win95 and win98. However, Sept 98-Dec98 all work fine in my emulated win98 environment.

The specific error is:
This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

When I click "details", I get:
PCGAMER caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0137:bff9a28c.

Followed by the exact registers.

For what it's worth, i have tried emulating 95 and 98 in both various dosbox environments and PCem. I get the same error in both, which leads me to believe it is not an emulation issue.

I have tried googling the error, and nothing I've seen has been helpful so far. I figured my last chance would be to ask here and see if anyone else has dealt with this or not. I would love to have all of the demo disks running properly. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 19, 2023
Visit site
Hello!
I have recently gone back and gotten every PC Gamer CD from the first one in 1994 through 1998 and gotten them running through emulation. I used MS-DOS up until January of 1996. In February of 1996 I began using win 3.1 through June of 1998. In July of 1998, the menu system changed and was designed for Win 95\98. However, I can not actually get the July 98 or Aug 98 disks running, both give page faults in win95 and win98. However, Sept 98-Dec98 all work fine in my emulated win98 environment.

The specific error is:
This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

When I click "details", I get:
PCGAMER caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0137:bff9a28c.

Followed by the exact registers.

For what it's worth, i have tried emulating 95 and 98 in both various dosbox environments and PCem. I get the same error in both, which leads me to believe it is not an emulation issue.

I have tried googling the error, and nothing I've seen has been helpful so far. I figured my last chance would be to ask here and see if anyone else has dealt with this or not. I would love to have all of the demo disks running properly. Thanks!

Do you still need help? I am waiting for your reply and till then I will visit https://studyclerk.com/research-paper-for-sale here because I am looking for a site online where I can find research papers for sale and I found that website with good reviews. When I am done with my research after that I will come back here.
Do you still need help?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022
Visit site
I am running into this same error. It is very weird.

There is this guy on Penny Arcade that got it working with 86Box. So, I will try to get Win98 SE setup on that.

It has to be some bizarre emulation bug. 86Box is still updated, so maybe they squashed that bug.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jun 21, 2022
Visit site
Yeah. I just ran the CD I was having the problem with in win98 in 86Box and it worked.
I got it set to a 133Mhz Pentium II with a Voodoo 3 card.
I was running the 4.1a disc. So, PCem has some kind a page fault bug running the application.

Are isos of all the discs out on the internet?

I would like to get a hold of the very last PC Gamer disc.

The only thing I can think of is that the later Macromedia PC Gamer apps are doing something really unique with the hardware and windows that the people making the emulators do not know about.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts