Question PC gamer being plagiarised?

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
So, for a little bit of context and because I don´t exaclty know where to post this, I live in Argentina and have been reading this site for quite a couple of years (can´t remember exactly when) and two articles in particular got my attention.

First of, this one where it talks about GPU prices being lowered " As the GPU supply crisis eases it's budget PC gamers who could suffer | PC Gamer ", this being the supposed copycat " A medida que la escasez de tarjetas graficas se calma, los jugadores de PC de bajo presupuesto podrían sufrir (hd-tecnologia.com) ". Same text structure and all.

Looking deeper into this I came across similar articles being copied from this site, like so " Gabe Newell expects Steam Deck to sell 'millions of units' but the pricing was 'painful' to pick | PC Gamer " with " Gabe Newell: Establecer el precio de la Steam Deck fue 'difícil', espero vendamos 'millones de unidades' (hd-tecnologia.com) "

Now, I really don´t know how to reach the PC gamer team, but if someone was stealing my stuff I would like to know at the very least, and being regular reader I supposed I would let you guys know and decide witch course of action is best. Both of the articles from my country are from the same author and everything.

Kind regards and keep writing.

All I know is it is by FAR the most spam post attacked of the forums I surf anymore. They use the same forum software as Tom's Hardware does, but likely cannot manage the size of staff and features that site has enabled. Tom's get's it's spam threads too, but not nearly as many, and considering it's a MUCH larger forum with far more members, that's saying a lot.

I wouldn't want to be a mod here. God knows they are trying to do their best to keep it all under control, but it's like swimming upstream in a river of crap!

WE get a lot of copy/pasted articles in here that are normally found and removed, so I guess it makes sense someone uses us as a source without showing where they got info.

There is a spam problem here? Really, I never see any on the forums :)

We will let the people know who can at least ask them to stop copying our info. I don't work for Future, I am just a moderator here.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Sen.56

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Kind regards and keep writing.

Thanks for calling this out. I'm sharing it with the team so we can follow up.

All I know is it is by FAR the most spam post attacked of the forums I surf anymore. They use the same forum software as Tom's Hardware does, but likely cannot manage the size of staff and features that site has enabled. Tom's get's it's spam threads too, but not nearly as many, and considering it's a MUCH larger forum with far more members, that's saying a lot.

I wouldn't want to be a mod here. God knows they are trying to do their best to keep it all under control, but it's like swimming upstream in a river of crap!

We definitely appreciate folks using the Report option for spam. This helps the Moderators find posts quickly. We do our best to spot spam as it pops up, but having the eyes of our readers calling it out just makes everything go a bit faster.

There is a spam problem here? Really, I never see any on the forums :)
I'm specifically talking about posts from usually new "members", that reek of anything from YT channel spamming to corporate bot click bait, and yeah, it happens a lot. So much so that I regularly see certain mods letting me know via posts or PMs that the post I responded to was likely a spam post. It's typically such posts will not be revisited by it's "author".

To be honest, it kinda seems to come in waves, but there are definitely mods keeping an eye on it and doing their best to keep up on them. Case in point, there's a what game are you playing thread that was locked for such reasons over 2 and a half months ago, but I still get tons of likes for a post I made in it. I'm sure those likes are not coming from actual or legit members.

Last edited:
Yes, lots of our users seem to only know how to use the like button. My total shouldn't be as high as it is, but nothing I can do about that (although I have tried).

Likes are about only thing you will see on here, if we are doing our job. There are some things that can slip through, as we can't block everything. We try :)

Reactions: Brian Boru
Personally, it feels like the spam-type posts have decreased the past few months, compared to Feb-March of this year when it seemed like they were just over-running the forum. There are still daily postings from first-time posters, sometimes with links, but I never click on a link or video from someone that I don't recognize.

One of the positive things about this forum, is that there are no "trollish-type" posts, or posts that "flame" other members. That kind of thing just runs rampant on the Steam forums. A lot of helpful information can be found there, but you have to weed through all those posts of players just arguing with each other or even posting personal attacks on each other. None of that BS here. Any disagreement is posted in a respectful manner. As far as gaming forums go, I think the PCG forum is pretty tightly run.

January posts are interesting to look at. That is for sure. I did feel sorry for the moderators who were here then... i would have helped if they had waved me down.. but I didn't notice the situation until May.

People have to survive and become regulars before trolling starts I feel. Most of our regulars have been here since 2020, and seem nice people so maybe we just don't have enough of you. Steam forums tied direct to client, I can imagine the quality of the people who answer some game sections. Can't paint all steam users with same brush, some games might not attract those types of people. Here you have to go out of way to find forums and join just to comment. Might be slightly more relaxed by time you explode onto forums.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Sen.56
Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
January posts are interesting to look at. That is for sure. I did feel sorry for the moderators who were here then... i would have helped if they had waved me down.. but I didn't notice the situation until May.

People have to survive and become regulars before trolling starts I feel. Most of our regulars have been here since 2020, and seem nice people so maybe we just don't have enough of you. Steam forums tied direct to client, I can imagine the quality of the people who answer some game sections. Can't paint all steam users with same brush, some games might not attract those types of people. Here you have to go out of way to find forums and join just to comment. Might be slightly more relaxed by time you explode onto forums.
Oh the steam forums are absolute hell most of the time, for what I read here it is pretty chill tbh. I have only been a reader for the last 2 years or so, never actually commenting. I created the account because I really dont like copy/pasted bs.

Sorry if my post was spam, didn´t really know where to go with this info.

TRENDING THREADS