PC Controls

Which variation of controls do you prefer?

• Total voters
Jun 27, 2023
Visit site
Hello there,

I've recently started tackling my back catalogue of games, I have picked up Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY for my first one. Usually I would play these type of games with a controller but found myself using mouse and keyboard with it not being much more difficult. It caused me to wonder how everyone else plays their games and what's their preferred style of choice?

Jun 27, 2023
Visit site
I picked other because it depends on the game. Anything with shooting mouse and keyboard is better, melee fighting then controller. Driving also better with controller.

I played Uncharted 4 earlier this year, used controller to run around and do the climbing parts, then switched to the mouse for the shooting gallery parts to pick off headshots.
I had a similar experience with Gears of War. It plays really well for the most part during combat, but transitions over terrain take getting used to. Similar to my Batman experience really.

I had a similar experience with Gears of War. It plays really well for the most part during combat, but transitions over terrain take getting used to. Similar to my Batman experience really.
I played Arkham City on M+K many years ago and it worked just fine. I remember the Witcher 2 was a bit difficult for me, and since around that time I've used a controller with those types of games and found it much more natural. I grew up with both PC and consoles though, and used to have very specific ideas of what games were best on what. Strategy of any kind or FPS was always PC, pretty much anything else on console.

Both, but mainly mouse and keyboard. Some games are just meant to be played on a controller, like racing games or Vampire Survivors. Other times it’s certain sections in a game that are better suited for controllers, like driving in GTA. I just keep my Xbox controller on my desk ready to go whenever, it’s Bluetooth so I just turn it on and it connects automatically.

I did try to use one of those weird left hand only keyboards. Mine wasn’t the Razer one with a joystick, though that would probably have been a better experience. It’s weird having this tiny half keyboard for your left hand only and my brain couldn’t comprehend it well enough so it eventually got thrown in the junk electronics box.

In my 20's and early 30's I used the arrows mainly. Now with games having so many buttons and crap I just use wasd. I'm not gonna waste time rebinding game controls, let alone where to bind all these other ones some games have.

I guess maybe some at first find it awkward navigating with left hand. I found it more natural to do the aiming, shooting, melee, etc on mouse with right hand, and navigating with left. It's sort of like in a car when I steer with my left hand while shifting with my right.

ideally WSAD, back in 1999 when i was still using cursor keys i was kinda skeptical why everyone wanted to play with WASD. I mean, the chances of you pressing other buttons is quite high and felt like a mine field.

One game of UT and that changed my opinion. The only problems now is when i have to reach for keys under neath WASD or pressing f or g by mistake. its bloody annoying sometimes. also anything from, 7,u,j,m are difficult to press without my hand letting go. Kinda annoying and i leave those to menu buttons. of course FPS games with 8 or 9 weapons is difficult to switch to. I hate using scroll wheel as i zoom past the weapons.

The only problems now is when i have to reach for keys under neath WASD or pressing f or g by mistake. its bloody annoying sometimes.

This is I think one of the main reasons some gaming keyboards come with WASD keycaps you can swap in that have a sort of silicone feel to them. It helps you feel where the WASD keys are. Mine came with extra WASD keycaps, as well as extra RFEG caps, but I don't use them because the tops feel too similar to the stock keys.

Last edited:
Hello there,

I've recently started tackling my back catalogue of games, I have picked up Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY for my first one. Usually I would play these type of games with a controller but found myself using mouse and keyboard with it not being much more difficult. It caused me to wonder how everyone else plays their games and what's their preferred style of choice?
I use a controller for driving, flying and sports games. I use keyboard/mouse for everything else. For me, keyboard and mouse are better even in 3rd person melee games.

I don't bother with games like that, they just don't interest me.
I figured that would be pretty common, just wondering if anyone can play a 2D platformer on a keyboard better than a controller.

I know there were old school PC Platform games before controller support was easy, like Commander Keen. I just figured that it was a matter of necessity rather than preference.

UT = Unreal Tournament? Or did Utah's governor write a persuasive letter to you? ;)

yeah Unreal tournament, would have been quite something to have the governor explain why WASD was superior to cursor keys.

Whilst PCGUK raved and championed Quake 3, i found more fun with Unreal tournament. The graphics looked nicer, the weapons felt more satisfying and the maps we felt were far better. hell, whilst Q3 was pure deathmatch, UT gave us assault, CTF, domination, TDM and deathmatch. I played the demo like crazy. Ok granted, not all of Unreal tournament maps were great, but i would get more bang for my buck. Quake 3 never got a look in.

Note to self: play Q3 and Q3 team arena.

This is I think one of the main reasons some gaming keyboards come with WASD keycaps you can swap in that have a sort of silicone feel to them. It helps you feel where the WASD keys are. Mine came with extra WASD keycaps, as well as extra RFEG caps, but I don't use them because the tops feel too similar to the stock keys.

I don't think i have any problems with finding the WASD keys. if seems... intuitive to put my left hand on the wasd keys and could always find it. The other keys, yeah that's where i struggle. Especially when Prone is involved. Christ i hate prone. Can't find a proper key for it, its awkward to press. There are those dedicated command keyboard things, but its a bit over kill for casual gaming. Outside of gaming its practically useless.

old school PC Platform games before controller support … a matter of necessity rather than preference
Yeah, that would be me. There were a load of 2D platformers back then like CK, I played a lot of 'em with M&K.

My fav was Gods by the Bitmap Brothers. So I was delighted when a remaster surfaced 2-3 years ago, and gave it a whirl. Got hammered! I'm just not a platformer any more :)

Yeah, that would be me. There were a load of 2D platformers back then like CK, I played a lot of 'em with M&K.

My fav was Gods by the Bitmap Brothers. So I was delighted when a remaster surfaced 2-3 years ago, and gave it a whirl. Got hammered! I'm just not a platformer any more :)
I remember Gods! Maybe a lot of those old games were common across Amiga/Atari ST and PC. Used to play them using a joystick as thats all I knew from my previous old Spectrum, also probably why I hardly finished any of them.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I guess maybe some at first find it awkward navigating with left hand. I found it more natural to do the aiming, shooting, melee, etc on mouse with right hand, and navigating with left. It's sort of like in a car when I steer with my left hand while shifting with my right.

My cousin had the weirdest setup. Forward was left click, right click was backward, ctrl was shoot, space was jump. He said he found by having the ctrl as the shoot button he was less likely to move his crosshair off a guy like he would when left clicking to shoot.

Was so weird, but dude was awesome with it, I however was terribadible with it.

Jun 27, 2023
Visit site
I haven't really considered playing platform games with the mouse & keyboard, though the closest I have ever got to it was when your internet dies and you have the dinosaur on the Google home page jumping across cactus plants.

I did used to attend a LAN Centre near to where I live (unfortunately it has closed now), and a certain individual was using the middle of the keyboard as their WASD, which seemed awkward as hell.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts