Over clocking package on a custom build.

May 4, 2020
Visit site
So I am having a custom PC built and have a i9 9900k. Do I need to get the over clocking package that they charge for or can it be done without it?

Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
Howdy. So...
1) All you need to overclock your fine piece of Intel tech is an above average cooler and a Z390 motherboard with decent, possibly actively cooled VRMs (Voltage Regulator Modules) to endure the extra current and hence extra power draw/heat.
2) Perhaps that's what "they" are trying to sell you. Do share the individual parts so people with more expertise than me or you can help :)
3) Even without overclocking you'll be more than happy with that monster for the foreseeable pandemic and post-pandemic future. Assuming that's for gaming only.

Reactions: Oussebon and Zoid
May 4, 2020
Visit site
Would I need to pay an additional $100 for 30% over clocking or can I do it without that package?

Config: i9 9900k, ASUS TUF Z390-Plus Gaming, 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory corsair vengeance, EVGA GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 11GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready], 1,000 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Power Supply .

Zoid

Community Contributor
Would I need to pay an additional $100 for 30% over clocking or can I do it without that package?

Config: i9 9900k, ASUS TUF Z390-Plus Gaming, 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory corsair vengeance, EVGA GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 11GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready], 1,000 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Power Supply .
It sounds like you are buying a pre-built machine. What retailer are you buying from, and what exactly is this "overclocking package"? What do they mean by "30% over clocking"? 30% over base clock on all cores?

Whether or not this mysterious package is worth $100 or not depends on what's included in it, but the short answer is no. You should not buy an overclocking package. You would almost certainly get better results by buying OCing yourself.

Besides that, I wouldn't even worry about OCing your i9-9900K. At stock clocks and boost levels it will be plenty for any games you play.

If you link to the site you are looking to buy this off, it may help judge it better.

But a 30% overclock is almost certainly a (deliberately) misleading number. It won't be 30% extra performance, as it won't be 30% over the CPU's own boost. In fact, 30% more than the 9900k's 3.6GHz base clocks is 4.7GHz... which is what the CPU will boost itself to on many motherboards anyway even under 8-core load. $100 to turn on / not switch off 'MCE' is absolutely outrageous!

Moreover, even if it was an overclock, you don't need to have someone else overclock your PC, you can DIY it, relatively straightforwardly. You just want an really good CPU cooler, and a better motherboard than an Asus TUF. Or, as above, leave it at stock frequencies.

BUT Before you drop $500 on an i9 9900k, note that Intel are about to release new CPUs including the i7 10700k, which will be better than the 9900k, $100 cheaper, and come with better motherboards.

if it's not urgent, wait a few weeks and buy the newer CPU and Z490 mobo releasing with it.

May 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for that info. Yeah I seen that on jayz2cents about the new i9 10900x/k and the i7 10700 a little better then the i9 9900k for the $100 less.
Do you know if any of the custom pc builders will have that soon? I know Xidax has the i9 10900 to 10980 but they are x,xe chips, I haven't seen the K"s yet. Plus Xidax is crazy expensive and I have a healthy budget and was surprised the difference. I am not super impatient but if it is going to be months and I am just using this for gaming, I think what I want to get will be plenty of horsepower to play at high settings..yes?

Custom builders and component retailers tend to have them on sale the instant the parts are launched for sale. I'm not sure if Intel have said when the sales embargo lifts, but this month or maybe June is expected last I checked.

The 10900x (and any Intel CPU with an -X in its name) is an 'HEDT' CPU, on a different motherboard family and with a different socket to the 'normal' consumer desktop parts. So that'll be part of why you can find them but they are so expensive. Different product with a different audience :)

Reactions: Zoid
May 4, 2020
Visit site
About the OC and the mobo I am thinking of getting it says it is OC compliant, and not a cheap model, but what would you recommend?

Sorry, what's the question? You are thinking of paying $100 for the overclock? Don't, it's borderline a scam.

They're charging you $100 for something the CPU will more or less do anyway - if it's as you said above, $100 for a 30% 'overclock' on a 9900k.

Even if they did do an actual overclock it still wouldn't be worth close to $100 in performance.

Without the exact context I can't say for sure what "OC Compliant" is meant to mean, but it sounds like they're just talking about -K CPUs (any Intel CPU with a -K in the name) which means the CPU's 'multiplier' is unlocked which allows the CPU to be overclocked.

Edit: I'm in the UK so can't comment from experience on US stores. In the UK I'd say anything with a competitive price, offering me decent components (e.g.motherboard with decent VRM), at a decent price. With good Trustpilot scores (preferably 9 out of 10 or better). I assume the same can be said for US builders too. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MangoPop

MangoPop

BANNED
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
I would have built my own AMD CPU / NVIDIA GPU PC, not pay someone who wants to rip me off for a so-called $100 Overclock package LOL ... unbelievable

X299 is for workstaions, and in many cases is also poor value.

Z390 is the one you are after.

However, I really do suggest waiting for the new CPUs and Z490 motherboards. They have a lot of advantages, besides being cheaper and faster CPUs.

May 4, 2020
Visit site
What do you think about the Asus
I would have built my own AMD CPU / NVIDIA GPU PC, not pay someone who wants to rip me off for a so-called $100 Overclock package LOL ... unbelievable
I don't want to take the chance of an issue or damaging a product. The OC thing was an option they had that you could get, just click if you wanted 10%, 20% or 30% OC. It was not being forced or suggested but was an option. I didnt know if I had to get it or I could do it myself is all. Sorry if I make it sound different.

What Asus? The Asus TUF you mentioned earlier?

I wouldn't buy it, I'd aim for something like the Gigabyte AORUS Pro or better or the Asus Z390-E if buying Asus and buying a 9900k.

But seriously - don't buy these, wait a few weeks for the new stuff.

I don't want to take the chance of an issue or damaging a product. The OC thing was an option they had that you could get, just click if you wanted 10%, 20% or 30% OC. It was not being forced or suggested but was an option. I didnt know if I had to get it or I could do it myself is all. Sorry if I make it sound different.

1) don't pay for an overclock. From what you say it's bad value at best.

2) Don't worry about overclocking yourself. The performance in most games you'd get would be minuscule.

Intel's modern CPUs boost themselves so highly there's relatively little room for conventional overclocking anyway - which is a good thing because it means you get as much of the CPU performance as possible out of the box without needing to change settings (overclock) yourself.

If it's easier, forget overclocking exists. You're not missing out :)

May 4, 2020
Visit site
What do you think about the asus ROG z390 maximus xi HERO?
Is the only big difference from the asus TUF z390 plus gaming, just the dual gpu, SLI/crossfire.

May 4, 2020
Visit site
Which of these gpu would you choose?

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB GDDR6 - EVGA XC GAMING (VR-Ready)More Options

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB GDDR6 - GIGABYTE GAMING OC (VR-Ready)

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB GDDR6 - MSI GAMING X TRIO (VR-Ready)
EVGA GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 11GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready]

Don't buy the Hero motherboard. It has a lot of features that are geared to users with very specific needs. It's a waste of money for you.

Why not wait a few weeks for the new generation of CPUs and mobos that will all just be better than the current stuff and in some cases cheaper too?

TRENDING THREADS