Opinion on PC build

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys, building my own gaming PC and was wanting some help on what I've chosen as I'm not the greatest with hardware. Just help with anything that could save me a bit of money or if something doesn't look right. Also am building this through PCCaseGear so any opinions on them or somewhere better would be great, also take into account I'm from rural Australia so don't wanna spend heaps on p&h.

Anyway heres my components that I have currently got:
CPU: Intel Core i5 9500F Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B365M Gaming HD Motherboard
Memory Card: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 32000MHz CL16 DDR4
Graphics card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5500 XT Gaming OC 8GB
SSD: Kingston A400 2.5in SATA SSD 240GB

Thanks.

Last edited:
An AMD R5 3600 + B450 platform would be a better bet.

In that it's a similar price, but:
- is more futureproof thanks to having extra 'threads' on the CPU
- gives similar or better performance in today's games too
- supports faster RAM speeds on the motherboard (B360/365 only does 2666MHz max)

The 5500 XT is often not very good value versus alternatives.

Can you link to the exact web page you're configuring this PC on?
Will make it easier to see prices and suggest alternatives?

Would you be open to self-building?

Reactions: Zoid

Zoid

Community Contributor

- supports faster RAM speeds on the motherboard (B360/365 only does 2666MHz max)

I second this. I'd consider building on a Ryzen 5 and B450 platform, and if you link us to the page you've configured this on, we can see the state of local pricing and offer good alternatives that are within your budget.

If you'd be open to self-building then some more options may come available to you, though I know you say you're in rural Australia so we'd make sure to keep shipping costs down.

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site

This is the exact website where I've just changed to the components listed and I'm just unsure if I wanna build myself as I'm just afraid of doing it wrong or breaking something. But building it myself would help as I wouldn't have to buy a new HDD as I was just going to use the one on my current PC. So if you believe I could probably build myself and it would be cheaper I could give it a go. Thanks

Aha, cool.

So, looking at the site, if you add the PC spec to the cart, go to the cart, and then click "share cart" it formats it for posting on forums.

The RX 5500 XT almost the same performance as RX 580 / GTX 1060 / GTX 1650 Super. But on that site it costs 100 AUD more than an RX 580. So go with the RX 580.

[b]PC Case Gear - Shared Shopping Cart[/b]
1 x PCCG AMD Hellcat Gaming System - $1,811.00ea
Total: $1,811.00
- @pccasegear.com 02/05/2020

PCCG AMD Hellcat Gaming System
Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh Edition TG Black Case
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with Wraith Stealth
ASUS Prime B450M-K Motherboard

Team T-Force Dark Za 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz CL18 DDR4
MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor OC 8GB
Kingston A400 2.5in SATA SSD 480GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM010 3.5in Hard Drive
Phanteks PH-P550GF 550W Gold Power Supply
Deepcool RF-120 RGB Fan 120mm

Standard assembly
2 Year Warranty

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM DVD

If you configure the PC under the Hellcat brand it lets you swap the case to the 300A, which has a mesh front and much better airflow
I added 1 fan as the case only has 1 fan as standard
3600MHz RAM as that seems to be the sweet spot for Ryzen systems - and it seems 3600MHz even with slightly higher CL than 3200MHz may still be the better choice.
RX 580 8gb version as it seems much better bang for buck than the RX 5500 XT.
Upped the SSD to 500gb as that's a much more convenient size for gaming.

Self building could look something like:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($149.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 580 8 GB DUAL Video Card ($299.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($171.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $1383.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-02 11:03 AEST+1000

I've no idea what domestic shipping to your area costs, or if those sellers have a good reputation in Australia (I'm in the UK) but if you want to think about self building hopefully that's a fair starting point.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Self building could look something like:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($149.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 580 8 GB DUAL Video Card ($299.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($171.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $1383.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-02 11:03 AEST+1000

I've no idea what domestic shipping to your area costs, or if those sellers have a good reputation in Australia (I'm in the UK) but if you want to think about self building hopefully that's a fair starting point.
In your personal opinion, do you believe that I should build it myself or buy it pre-built. As I could save a lot of money and nearly even upgrade a bit as I have more money to spend if I build it myself. The only issue I'm having right now is whether to build it myself or have it built for me.

Maybe look up some self build guides. See if it's the kind of thing you'd be comfortable doing. Even if you get it custom built after all at least you have a better understanding of the process - could even be useful if you ever need to replace a part.

You could also shop around other custom PC builders in australia. Even if they're not less expensive as such, if they let you build without forcing you to get an HDD, or forcing you to get a GPU, you could shop around and save money by using your old HDD or buying and installing your own GPU.

Custom PC builders also sometimes do special offers on prebuilts with fixed specs, so you might just find something very close to what you're after but with a big discount. Maybe have a shop around -if you didn't already - and see?

I have a very quick look and didn't see any cheaper custom builds, but only checked a few stores

TRENDING THREADS