newb into Watercooling

I have a i7 skylake with a nvidia 1070 (soon something on the nvidia 3000 series if argentinian goverment allows me, the fuc%&#s). All my life I just use stock cooling methods but lately I have starting to note -and getting annoyed by- the fans noise when I'm gaming; specially on longer sessions. Maybe I'm getting older.
I tried to play with fans configuration checking the temps, but I can´t get to reduce it enough. On idle or not demanding stuff is well within "not an annoyance" level of noise, but I start anything kind of demanding and goes to **** (just exagerating, just annoying the longer I'm there)
I was thinking going the watercooling path since these days is way easier with those kit and all, but I don't have any idea. The ones I see have more fans and I don't know if its worth it if I'm going to get just a slight reduction in this sound while playing. Can you guys give some advice? Are there kits for GPU and CPU or those comes separately? How difficult are to install? (I know enough to build my systems on my own)
I won't be doing OC. I just want a stable silent rig.

Zoid

Community Contributor
I have a i7 skylake with a nvidia 1070 (soon something on the nvidia 3000 series if argentinian goverment allows me, the fuc%&#s). All my life I just use stock cooling methods but lately I have starting to note -and getting annoyed by- the fans noise when I'm gaming; specially on longer sessions. Maybe I'm getting older.
I tried to play with fans configuration checking the temps, but I can´t get to reduce it enough. On idle or not demanding stuff is well within "not an annoyance" level of noise, but I start anything kind of demanding and goes to **** (just exagerating, just annoying the longer I'm there)
I was thinking going the watercooling path since these days is way easier with those kit and all, but I don't have any idea. The ones I see have more fans and I don't know if its worth it if I'm going to get just a slight reduction in this sound while playing. Can you guys give some advice? Are there kits for GPU and CPU or those comes separately? How difficult are to install? (I know enough to build my systems on my own)
I won't be doing OC. I just want a stable silent rig.
The number of fans isn't so important to noise as the speed of those fans. Three fans spinning slowly will be quieter than one fan spinning to the max.

What case do you have? Some coolers are quite large so your case may influence your decision somewhat.

In general, if you are going for silence, I'd actually recommend looking into a massive air cooler. Water coolers can be great for ultimate cooling, but they aren't always the quietest pick, since the pump can make a bit of a fish tank noise in addition to the fans.

You can water cool your CPU and GPU if you want, but that's getting into custom loop territory. What's your budget for this upgrade?

Your computer is still going to sound loud with water cooling regardless if the only reason you were thinking of going that way was because of noise, you also run the risk of it breaking and ruining your system. You can get a sufficient air cooler like a 212evo and keep the noise down too, like i said if you play for a long time, fans are going to spin up to keep it cool regardless of the setup (unless u turn ur fans off manually of course).

Case is quite bulky.
I don't have a "budget". I want to see what is around and what can actually have access in my country. Then decide if I'm willing to pay that amount. Custom devices aren't easy to get your hands on or excessively expensive. Isn't unusual to be forced to pay 2-3 times the price of some stuff just to get them inside the country. And then some to securely arrive at your home.
I'll check for massive aircooler in the meantime :D

Zoid

Community Contributor
What country are you in?

I'd take a look at air coolers such as the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 or Scythe Ninja 5, or the Cryorig H7 for something not quite as massive. They would all cool your CPU well and would all be a good sight quieter than the stock Intel cooler.

If you want something less expensive, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition might be an oldie, but there's a reason it's been popular for so long. It's an acceptably performance cooler considering its discount price, and it would run a bit quieter than stock.

I'm from Argentina. Here we have taxes on taxes on taxes. So businesses (legal ones) fight to keep prices competitive. And Getting something through customs if you don't know someone or ARE not someone is a nightmare.
Is not the worst country to be a techie high end gamer but is in the group.

TRENDING THREADS