New to PC Gaming ... Just Did A Build ... Where to Start

Hello, I'm new to PC gaming ... coming from a PS4 system ...

I just completed a build with an AMD 5950X, RTX 3090 FE ... 64GB ... I will mainly be using this machine as a workstation and also will use it for gaming ... But I've never done PC gaming before ...

Not sure where to start other than by asking a few questions ...

Where are the best places online to get games from?

Do I need a controller like you use on a PS4 or can I get away with a decent gaming keyboard?

This PC will also be connected to a 65" 4K TV.

Any & all information will help ...

Thanks

Reactions: Mazer
Microsoft Gamepass lets you download and play a lot of different games as much as you want for around around 10 (€£$) a month. IMO best place to start if youre not sure what kind of games you want to play.

I use a controller for 3d games that are mostly melee combat or 2d games like platformers. Anything with shooting a keyboard +mouse is far and away better, and of course any strategy game.

Its possible to use a controller for just about everything if you prefer it though these days, its just a preference.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Welcome to the forum :)

can I get away with a decent gaming keyboard?
No, you will need a mouse too—the number of KB-only games is very small as far as I know.

Your input gear choice largely depends on what you play, how you play, and what gives you satisfaction.
Some like to beat no-mercy games on hardest difficulty, or compete online, for which the most suitable gear is needed.
Others could care less about beating the game, and play non-threatening games on easiest, for which any KB & mouse will do.

I've never used a controller, but I hear they're better for fighting and racing games.

I just completed a build with an AMD 5950X, RTX 3090 FE ... 64GB ... I will mainly be using this machine as a workstation and also will use it for gaming ... But I've never done PC gaming before ...

Steam (been around since 2003) is the big place to buy. Epic is the up-and-comer. They give a free game away every week, but their store is kind of crap and hard to use. PC Game Pass (by Microsoft) is a great deal. Tons of top flight games to play for $9.99/mo. Almost all of the rest of the places that sell games just give you a Steam key, and you have to download and play the game on Steam.

I use mouse and keyboard for everything but racing and flying. Some people use them for third person melee games, but the only reason that's a thing is because From Software and other Japanese companies don't know how to support mouse/keyboard. The same type of game not made in Japan works great with mouse and keyboard. The other exception, as mentioned above, is fighting games like Mortal Kombat, which might be better with a controller. Overall, I would suggest that if you are serious about playing on PC that you get used to the mouse/keyboard because so many games are easier to play with them.

Steam (been around since 2003) is the big place to buy. Epic is the up-and-comer. They give a free game away every week, but their store is kind of crap and hard to use. PC Game Pass (by Microsoft) is a great deal. Tons of top flight games to play for $9.99/mo. Almost all of the rest of the places that sell games just give you a Steam key, and you have to download and play the game on Steam.

I use mouse and keyboard for everything but racing and flying. Some people use them for third person melee games, but the only reason that's a thing is because From Software and other Japanese companies don't know how to support mouse/keyboard. The same type of game not made in Japan works great with mouse and keyboard. The other exception, as mentioned above, is fighting games like Mortal Kombat, which might be better with a controller. Overall, I would suggest that if you are serious about playing on PC that you get used to the mouse/keyboard because so many games are easier to play with them.

Thanks Brian ....

I have a Razer Huntsman Tournament KB with a Razer Death Hadder Elite mouse which I'm sure will get me by ...

The other main stores not mentioned yet, except for in @Colif's article, are:

GOG—It's very good for older games, which they update to keep up with the latest Windows version.

Humble Bundle—Has great bundle deals, gives some of every sale to charity.

Those two, plus Steam, Microsoft's GamePass, and Epic should serve most of your needs.

Coming from console, you'll find there's a much wider choice of game types, as in sub-genres of the main genres. So I suggest grabbing some of the free games all the stores offer, and keep an eye on our free game thread here, while you're figuring out what you want to play.

Thanks Brian ....

I have a Razer Huntsman Tournament KB with a Razer Death Hadder Elite mouse which I'm sure will get me by ...

Death Adder is very good. Had a couple of those before. Usually when I go with Razer I get the Lancehead because of the extra buttons, but I don't seem to be able to convert people to my way of thinking on ambidextrous mice.

Oh, and @Brian Boru and I are not the same people even though you've never seen us in the same room together. :p

Humble Bundle—Has great bundle deals, gives some of every sale to charity.
I prefer Fanatical and IndieGala to Humble, but that's just a personal thing. All have pretty good deals to go along with their bundles sometimes. You can get God of War cheaper at Fanatical and IndieGala for $41 right now.

All of these companies, especially Humble, are leeches, though. They sell you Steam keys, which Valve then has to host forever. Valve is extremely generous. And then Humble's founder filed a lawsuit against them for being a monopoly. I guess letting him make many millions from selling their keys (which he wasn't charged a penny for) wasn't enough for him.

Last edited:
I prefer Fanatical and IndieGala to Humble
They would be my next 2 choices—didn't want to drown OP in too many choices. We'd better not add many more, given Miller's Law :)

Ok, here's one more I forgot. For casual games, BigFish is excellent—you get an hour's free play demo of every game. I have hundreds of games with them over decades, never a problem.

you've never seen us in the same room together
Long may that happy state continue…

• Love
Reactions: ZedClampet
Jan 9, 2022
Visit site

Do I need a controller like you use on a PS4 or can I get away with a decent gaming keyboard?

This PC will also be connected to a 65" 4K TV.

Any & all information will help ...

Thanks

no worries bro i got you the best websites to get games from ill recommend steam.io and battle net us/apps/battle.net/desktop , nah bro you don't need a controller a gaming keyboard will work just fine feel free to message me about anything

Welcome aboard!

To add to the ongoing controller v. keyboard discussion, if you use a bluetooth adaptor or micro-USB cable then you can use your PS4 controller with your PC: https://www.pcgamer.com/au/how-to-use-a-ps4-controller-on-pc/

And also to suggest my favourite site for buying games: isthereanydeal.com. They aggregate the contents of dozens of key retailers and sort by price for you. Great way to keep an eye out for deals or to check whether a listed discount is worth pulling the trigger on as they also record past discounts.

Oh, and @Brian Boru and I are not the same people even though you've never seen us in the same room together. :p

Don't listen to him, there's actually only three people posting on this website under an assortment of accounts. Anything raving about Daggerfall is me, anything sexually charged is Zed/Brian, and the third guy just posts spam from youtube.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS