Question Need suggestion, a sad 11600k chip on z590e system

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
I'm drafting my parts on pcpartpicker.com right now, intel gen 11th is a total disaster, and I'm forced to choose i5-11600k(since I have z590e already) so my mom will not smack me down with electric bill.

CPU ---- Intel core i5-11600k ---- $269.99 from amazon(ordered)
CPU Cooler ---- need suggestion
Mother Board ---- ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI ---- $379.99 from amazon (delivered)
RAM ---- Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 C16 ----$173.99 from amazon (delivered)
SSD(bootdrive) ---- Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ----$199.99 from amazon(delivered, price drop to $179,99 now!!!)
SSD(gamedrive) ---- Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ----$349.99 from amazon(planing)
HDD(file) ---- need suggestion
GPU ---- GTX 1080TI (from my current PC)
PSU ---- need help!!
Case ---- I will pick one from youtube later

This is my first build, my current PC is a nearly 7 years old 4790k + z97pro system on win7, I need to build a new pc on win10. I need suggestion on CPU Cooler, power supply and HDD.
I have never touched water cooling and I'm not sure if air cooling can handle gen 11th?
How much power would this PC cost and what PSU should I use?
Right now I don't want to think about the cost from the rest after all these spent -- I just want this build to be done with ... gen 11th is such a disaster, I was planning to get the best 14nm since late 2020 and yet intel squeezed it backward

Last edited:
Reactions: abrunson
Despite all the justified criticism of the 11th Gen high end, the 11600k is a good chip for gaming and you can console yourself knowing that whichever chip you would have bought when you're actually playing a game you probably wouldnt be able to tell which one you were using using if they were side by side.

It does use a lot of power for a 6 core so go for one of the biggest and best air coolers. I picked the NHD15-S because its offset for better PCI-E compatibility and loses the front fan to be more compatible with larger RAM heat spreaders. If you wanted to add a fan to the front later it comes with clips to do so. There is a Black version but I couldn't see it in Partpicker. Otherwise there the Cryorig R1 Universal(slim front fan)/Ultimate, Deepcool Assassin III, and a new Thermalright Frost Commander 140, amongst other dual tower 140mm coolers that will all perform around the same if you prefer the look of one of those and can find one.

Make sure whatever case you pick is compatible with the cooler you choose, some of the ones I mentioned are over 170mm tall, and may be a little close to your GPU on some motherboards. If that's a problem I would go with a 280mm AIO like the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280. 240mm AIOs don't perform much better, if at all, then big air coolers and the Arctic range perform very well. Although you miss out on RGB if that#s important to you.

The Superflower Leadex III is a top quality PSU that will be more than enough power and allow you to upgrade to a 3000 series card if they are ever available.

As far as storage goes I dont know much. I'd just get something like the Toshiba as its fairly cheap and has decent reviews unless you need a top performing HDD for some reason.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $314.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-03 01:35 EDT-0400

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
Despite all the justified criticism of the 11th Gen high end, the 11600k is a good chip for gaming and you can console yourself knowing that whichever chip you would have bought when you're actually playing a game you probably wouldnt be able to tell which one you were using using if they were side by side.

It does use a lot of power for a 6 core so go for one of the biggest and best air coolers. I picked the NHD15-S because its offset for better PCI-E compatibility and loses the front fan to be more compatible with larger RAM heat spreaders. If you wanted to add a fan to the front later it comes with clips to do so. There is a Black version but I couldn't see it in Partpicker. Otherwise there the Cryorig R1 Universal(slim front fan)/Ultimate, Deepcool Assassin III, and a new Thermalright Frost Commander 140, amongst other dual tower 140mm coolers that will all perform around the same if you prefer the look of one of those and can find one.

Make sure whatever case you pick is compatible with the cooler you choose, some of the ones I mentioned are over 170mm tall, and may be a little close to your GPU on some motherboards. If that's a problem I would go with a 280mm AIO like the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280. 240mm AIOs don't perform much better, if at all, then big air coolers and the Arctic range perform very well. Although you miss out on RGB if that#s important to you.

The Superflower Leadex III is a top quality PSU that will be more than enough power and allow you to upgrade to a 3000 series card if they are ever available.

As far as storage goes I dont know much. I'd just get something like the Toshiba as its fairly cheap and has decent reviews unless you need a top performing HDD for some reason.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $314.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-03 01:35 EDT-0400
Thank you! I decided to go with your suggestion but choose WD HDD instead, Western Digital 4TB WD Black Performance 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" HDD - WD4005FZBX (amazon $149.99)

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama