Need some help with upgrading!

Dec 4, 2021
Visit site
Hi!

I have an HP Omen 870-120 and was looking to upgrade the motherboard, but I'm not very knowledgeable on PCs. I was wondering what, if any, motherboards would be compatible with my computer?

Thanks!

COLGeek

Looks like a standard mATX motherboard. Confirmation can be found here:

That being said, what is your budget? I assume you need a motherboard, CPU, and possibly memory.

Dec 4, 2021
Visit site
Looks like a standard mATX motherboard. Confirmation can be found here:

That being said, what is your budget? I assume you need a motherboard, CPU, and possibly memory.

Honestly, I'm just looking around right now, again I don't have much knowledge of computers so I didn't know if it's possible to just get a new motherboard and transfer what I already have?

COLGeek

Transferring the CPU to a new motherboard won't really do much (or anything) in terms of performance gains.

If you are still using the stock 8GB of memory that shipped with the device, increasing your memory, using matched 2x16GB (total of 32GB) would help quite a bit.

Swapping the HDD for a SSD would massively improve performance as well.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 4, 2021
Visit site
Transferring the CPU to a new motherboard won't really do much (or anything) in terms of performance gains.

If you are still using the stock 8GB of memory that shipped with the device, increasing your memory, using matched 2x16GB (total of 32GB) would help quite a bit.

Swapping the HDD for a SSD would massively improve performance as well.

Oh okay!!! Any SSDs you would recommend in the $100-200 range that would work in my scenario? Also, I have added another stick of 8GB, so I'm on 16gb rn, am I able to use any sticks/brand of 16gb or do they differ depending on the motherboard?

COLGeek

Very easy. With the Samsung SSD, you can use their very good migration software to clone your HDD to your SSD.

Better yet, if you have a good back up of your personal files, a fresh install of Windows and your apps would be even better.

Dec 4, 2021
Visit site
Very easy. With the Samsung SSD, you can use their very good migration software to clone your HDD to your SSD.

Better yet, if you have a good back up of your personal files, a fresh install of Windows and your apps would be even better.

Okay awesome!!! Thanks so much for the help!

TRENDING THREADS