Solved Need help with Wi-Fi network card not recognized after installing ssd

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Hello!
Recently I decided to upgrade my computer by installing a new ssd in my secondary M.2 slot(since my first slot is already being used by a primary ssd which contains my OS/windows10). However, after installing it and booting up the PC, I could no longer connect to my PC via Wi-Fi.
For information, I’m using a stationary PC, with a Rog Strix X470-f motherboard, where I have installed a network card that enables me to use Wi-Fi instead of Ethernet cable.
The ssd that I installed was Corsair MP510 and aside from the Wi-Fi problem, it was installed successfully.

what I have tried so far:
- restarting the computer several times.
- switching place of the network card to another PCIe slot.
- switching network card for an identical network card.
- Rearranging the antennas for my network card.
- Reinstalling the network via windows.
- disabling my malware protection program.

I’m starting to run out of ideas. I have looked around on the web but not found a clear solution to the problem. I know it’s not my router that is the problem since other devices can connect to it without any problems. However, I’m starting to wonder if there was some kind of short circuit on the motherboard, since it had some dust on it. Although the rest of the computer works fine and according to the manual there’s no bad lights showing up.

Do you guys have any suggestions on possible solutions for my problem?

Last edited:

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Is your network card on PCI slot? If so, using second m2 port could disable the PCI - so it's either this or this, not both at the same time.
Just a guess, I know using second m2 port disables some SATA lanes, so maybe this is similar behaviour?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lime_x
Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Is your network card on PCI slot? If so, using second m2 port could disable the PCI - so it's either this or this, not both at the same time.
Just a guess, I know using second m2 port disables some SATA lanes, so maybe this is similar behaviour?
Oh that’s a very good idea. I tried removing the ssd from the m.2 slot and suddenly the Wi-Fi started working. Thanks for the tip.
However then my second question would be: How can I connect my secondary ssd to the motherboard and still keep my Wi-Fi working?

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Okay, so I just wanted to update on the issue and it seems to have been resolved after I switched the pci port for the network card. It turns out that two of the ports were disabled when I added the secondary m.2 ssd to the motherboard.
Thank you so much for the help. I was so afraid that I have fried the motherboard. Now I’m happy that everything is working as it should. :)

Reactions: OsaX Nymloth

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Glad to hear you solved the issue! Not gonna lie I would be a bit dumbfounded if it happened to me and would need a bit to piece the dots - I am not really used to "if you utilize all your m2 ports something else gets disabled" trend that is going on in recent years.

TRENDING THREADS