Question Need Fan Advice

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Recently added two intake fans to my case as i had upgraded to a RTX 2060 but had to use a molex adapter as their wasnt enough mobo headers, the fans run at full speed even when pc is idle, what adapter would i need to allow them to be controlled by the mobo. Also wanting to replace the exhaust fan that came with the case but looking for a fan with a short 3 pin cable as the noctua fans i have, their cables would be far two long, any recommendations please.

Thanks.

While this is horses and stable doors, it's generally better to buy a better case with better airflow and more/better fans than to buy a cheap case and then add extra fans.

Is the noise obnoxious? There's no problem with running them at full speed on idle, it just means lower idle temps.

That said, again, if it was an ultra quiet system you were after you should have bought a different and better case - and possibly other different components too, depending what else is in there.

The thing with fan splitters is that you can only chain so many fans off a single motherboard header, until you get to a point of drawing too much power. Two fans are probably fine but tbh I'd probably consider getting a powered adapter anyway, especially if there's a chance you might add even moar fans.

Make sure your Noctua fans are actually the PWM versions or else they won't be PWM controlled.

Why replace the rear fan? Again it sounds like sinking yet more cash into the case where you should have just bought a better one if you wanted improved cooling. Also if your replacement one is 3 pin it's not going to be PWM controlled either. As for wanting a specifically short cable, you'd normally just route the cable to hide it. Especially if you are getting a splitter type cable where only 1 cable for all your fans leads to the motherboard.

May 8, 2020
Visit site
No the sound from the fans doesnt sound bad at all, just audible, Im new to pc building so when i bought the pre built pc i didnt think about cooling, airflow etc, its only since upgrading my gpu that ive learnt about it. As for for wanting to replace the rear fan, it makes a ticking noise sometimes when ive got a game running and worried that ticking means the fan is starting to fail.

If the noise isn't a problem, then just let the front fans run at full speed all the time.

As for the rear fan, it could be developing a fault. That said other than the noise annoyance, it may not meaningfully impact its function. Make sure there are no cables near the fan that might be getting poked by it, and also check in case hairs or similar are caught in it / around the central mechanism.

If it all looks clear and clean and if the PC is still under warranty (1 year parts is the standard for PCS) then ask them to send you a replacement. May as well get it replaced for free if you can. If it's out of warranty but the ticking doesn't bother you, you could leave it.

TRENDING THREADS