Need A New GPU For PC I'm Building - What Is The Best Option In Current Pricing Insanity?

Feb 19, 2023
Visit site
I recently read the PC Gamer best graphic cards in 2023 article, and was surprised by this statement:

"We suggest avoiding the high-end RX 6950 XT and RTX 3090 Ti, as you'll be able to get more performance for your money in a few months"

I've done a ton of research, read reviews, compared graphs and checked every reference possible, and the 6950 XT keeps coming up as the only logical choice. My budget is $800.00 max. Things are getting ridiculous when even moderately higher end GPU's cost more than entire pc's I've built in recent years.

I'm seriously wondering what is coming out in the next few months that will truly provide more performance for the money. Except for the release of the 4090, which has been a while, and costs more than an entire quality pc these days. every new NVidia card has been essentially trashed by the reviewers. I cannot see anything coming from them that will possibly mater. EVGA has already announced they will no longer make nVidia GPU's, and I understand there are more likely more companies about to announce that too. Who can blame them when they continue to release GPU's that perform no better than older models (and in some cases worse) but cost much more? And as PC Gamer posed the question themselves "What has nVidia ever done for us?"

So, I'm willing to wait a few months for a GPU if that will honestly give me a better performance option, dollar for dollar than a 6950 XT. The catch is that the entire 6000 series from AMD has been discontinued and are no longer being made. That means that 6950XT availability is already dropping and they will be gone soon. It won't be there as an option in a couple months.

I have everything else purchased for the new pc build, except the gpu. I'll still be willing to wait 2-3 months if it makes sense. But I have to be certain that really is true. I need a really good card that can run games in 4k at a high level. And again, my budget is $800.00, but okay, I would buy a 7900 XTX if it dropped to $900.00.

Any advice, perspective or recommendations appreciated.

Gaming at 4K doesn't come cheap.

average-fps_3840-2160.png

Reactions: Brian Boru
Feb 19, 2023
Visit site
Honestly, youre going to need to raise that budget if you want 4k gaming at a "high" level. Unless youre wiling to buy used or last gen, 800 is at the bottom of 4k ultra gaming imo.
Last gen would be considered. But In doing that, the AMD 6950 XT is about the only GPU that comparison tests show as reasonably competent at 4k. And it is something I cm aconsidering.

Reactions: ZedClampet
There have been a number of articles in PC Gamer about the prices of components lately and how AMD and Nvidia are seemingly abandoning the average PC gamer to chase after the profits made from outrageously priced high end cards. They (PC Gamer) seems to think the best hope for PC gaming at this point is a successful Intel, which seems to be targeting your average player and trying to keep prices down.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Feb 19, 2023
Visit site
There have been a number of articles in PC Gamer about the prices of components lately and how AMD and Nvidia are seemingly abandoning the average PC gamer to chase after the profits made from outrageously priced high end cards. They (PC Gamer) seems to think the best hope for PC gaming at this point is a successful Intel, which seems to be targeting your average player and trying to keep prices down.

Yes, I recently saw those comments by PC Gamer. Of course, their hopes are riding on whether the next batch from Intel actually do deliver, which their first GPU's sadly failed to do. The quote from them was:

"if Intel's upcoming Battlemage family of GPUs really does arrive early next year and offer RTX 4080 / RX 7900 levels of performance for far less money, as some sources suggest(opens in new tab). "

And, even assuming it all comes to pass, and the cards offer great value and performance for money, thats an entire year away from now.

Yes, I recently saw those comments by PC Gamer. Of course, their hopes are riding on whether the next batch from Intel actually do deliver, which their first GPU's sadly failed to do. The quote from them was:

"if Intel's upcoming Battlemage family of GPUs really does arrive early next year and offer RTX 4080 / RX 7900 levels of performance for far less money, as some sources suggest(opens in new tab). "

And, even assuming it all comes to pass, and the cards offer great value and performance for money, thats an entire year away from now.
I'm not really up on the latest Intel cards. All I know is that they've had two driver updates that vastly improved performance. Probably not high level 4k performance like you are looking for, but they are at least making headway.

TRENDING THREADS