My stop me from now Buying the HP Omen Obelisk RTX 2080Ti build if it doesn't explode

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
May 3, 2020
Visit site
With the B550 boards coming in June and my absolute impatience, should I just use this for the $100 now, wait one week and get an X570 or wait for the next gen mobo wars to happen and buy the upgrade when I need it? If i'm not taking a performance hit with my current hardware, on the board below. Does the 3000 ready label imply the bios on this mobo is ready for my chip?

Does the 3000 ready label imply the bios on this mobo is ready for my chip?
Yes :)

f i'm not taking a performance hit with my current hardware, on the board below.
You're not taking a performance hit.

should I just use this for the $100 now, wait one week and get an X570 or wait for the next gen mobo wars to happen and buy the upgrade when I need it?
Buying a component you want to upgrade already is almost always the wrong move. if you have an itch to upgrade the B450 relatively soon and that itch will keep coming back, just return it and get the X570 now.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Yes

You're not taking a performance hit.

Buying a component you want to upgrade already is almost always the wrong move. if you have an itch to upgrade the B450 relatively soon and that itch will keep coming back, just return it and get the X570 now.

Thanks, While I don't expect to upgrade anytime soon and hopefully won't see a reason too, I guess a weeks wait for the Asrock Steel legend isn't the end of the world since I don't even have the monitor yet. I also have some concerns reading up on the heat levels generated with this board and the Ryzen 9.

The B450-F is okay VRM temps wise with decent airflow on them, but yes, without that and/or an undervolt things can get uncomfortably hot under very heavy workloads. The Steel Legend fares better, not the coolest of the pack but cool enough certainly without an overclock. It's one of the reasons I quite like the Asus TUF (if it were available in your store). Very good VRM temps, with a pretty solid feature set, at a relatively low price for X570.

$300? best Buy seem to have the wifi version for $190 and seem to have the option to ship?

I added it to the cart and it said free shipping available to 04785, whatever that is. (Edit: google tells me Van Buren in Maine)

It's listed on Newegg too but Newegg especially and some other retailers see I'm in the UK and go all wibbly about showing whether a product is in stock or not in the US store. So the TUF (wifi and non-wifi) seem to be out of stock on newegg but I can't be sure.

Looks pretty in-stock in Best Buy though unless they don't deliver to your area / offer curbside pickup near you.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
$300? best Buy seem to have the wifi version for $190 and seem to have the option to ship?

I added it to the cart and it said free shipping available to 04785, whatever that is. (Edit: google tells me Van Buren in Maine)

It's listed on Newegg too but Newegg especially and some other retailers see I'm in the UK and go all wibbly about showing whether a product is in stock or not in the US store. So the TUF (wifi and non-wifi) seem to be out of stock on newegg but I can't be sure.

Looks pretty in-stock in Best Buy though unless they don't deliver to your area / offer curbside pickup near you.

wow. Thanks. I’m bummed. Out of stock by the time I got there. Really appreciate it

May 3, 2020
Visit site

Thnaks for the heads up Oussebon, So I noticed the motherboard popped up as available again, then again as no longer available, so I kept at it hoping that maybe they were doing stock allocations and the system wasn't fully updated. After about 20 tries of your cart is empty, I just kept trying and trying over and over (obnoxiously), suddenly it took my order and I supposedly have an order for the Asus TUF X570 arriving Fri. Haha, I'm waiting for the "we made a mistake email" but we'll see. As of now, I have the Strix B450 here, I have an order for the Asrock X570 Steel Legend which will ship on May 21 if I keep it and I supposedly have the Asus as of now for Friday. Let's see what happens. Would be a nice Bday gift if it actually arrived on my bday Fri :).

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Asus Tuf X570 arrived yesterday, just waiting for the cooler master masterliquid ml240L to arrive and monitor next week. Going to start build this weekend, but after looking at my parts setup, using the WD Black 1TB MVE ssd, is the WD 7200 rpm HDD as a secondary drive a stupid move or pony up a bit more and get an second SSD?

May 3, 2020
Visit site
How big is the HDD and how much does it cost? Having a large HDD for secondary storage is very common; using an SSD for mass storage e.g. music and movies is a waste of money.

Hi. The WD HDD 7200 is 2tb and was $109, I realize not really massive. Considering the 1tb wD black gaming mve SSD was $170

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Thanks.
That's a data centre HDD - you should generally be able to get a consumer drive of 4TB for that price. Or a 2TB HDD for half the price.

If it's about reliability, then buying a single, more expensive drive isn't as safe as buying 2 HDDs and using one as a backup, which you could afford to do for pretty well the same price.

That makes sense. Maybe I just add another 1tb SSD for now and I can always add another if I need and skip the HDD altogether. I can keep photos on my existing external drives as well.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi, yes I have photos on two external drives and I think I’m going to put them in cloud storage well. Storage will be music applications, games phot editing, not that much video. Kind of an everything computer. I don’t have a particular storage map in mind. I figured a 1tb was good stuff I’m regularly using and the second drive to store photos etc and possibly some bigger programs that aren’t very important. Should I just stick to my 1 tb mve ssd and maybe a 1tb SSd?

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I’m reading through the ASUS Tuf manual and I thought this mobo only had front Panel IO for audio. The manual under front IO section 2.1.7 shows usb 3.2 gen 1 and USB 2.0 connector in addition to audio

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Front Panel are just the connectors on the motherboard. You connect the cables from your case to it. I think most motherboards only will have 1 kind of connector for the front IO since cases usually won't have more anyway. My front panel has 3.5mm jacks for audio in and out, that's all. But these are the connectors on the motherboard, my back IO has another 2 or even 5 connections for Audio.

Back IO are usually just the connections you use for all your cables (at least I do for my keyboard / mouse / monitors etc).

Reactions: Zoid
Hi, I’m reading through the ASUS Tuf manual and I thought this mobo only had front Panel IO for audio. The manual under front IO section 2.1.7 shows usb 3.2 gen 1 and USB 2.0 connector in addition to audio
What's the question? That you're unsure what these other front IOs are?

In short, as @Inspireless Llama says, they're just the connections to the front of the case. I.e. the audio connections, usually audio out and mic in at the front of the case, USB 2, and USB 3 (5gbps). They are what connect the ports at the front of the case to the mobo.

Hi, yes I have photos on two external drives and I think I’m going to put them in cloud storage well. Storage will be music applications, games phot editing, not that much video. Kind of an everything computer. I don’t have a particular storage map in mind. I figured a 1tb was good stuff I’m regularly using and the second drive to store photos etc and possibly some bigger programs that aren’t very important. Should I just stick to my 1 tb mve ssd and maybe a 1tb SSd?

You'll want to plan a little ahead storage wise. If you buy 2 x 1TB SSDs and then fill them up, and then get another 1TB SSD, you end up with multiple 'small'(er) drives to faff around with and juggle content between. Whereas if you suspect you may need more storage and so in addition to your 1TB NVMe you buy a (e.g.) 2TB Crucial MX500, you end up with a tidier case and an easier to manage storage setup.

Same applies to hard drives. If you were going to buy a 2TB HDD because it's 'enough' you might actually want to buy a 4TB HDD instead.

I wouldn't buy another NVMe SSD because you'll then use up both M.2 slots. In general usage an NVMe SSD won't give much, if any, benefit over a Sata SSD. While going with a Sata SSD keeps the M.2 slot free for a time when PCIe 4.0 SSDs have matured - and maybe by then there will be real benefits to the faster storage.

So, in addition to your 1TB NVMe you already have I'd probably be thinking about a 2TB SSD (2.5") or a 4TB+ HDD rather than another 1TB SSD.

Reactions: Inspireless Llama
May 3, 2020
Visit site
Thanks. For all the input. Reason I asked about the front iO was that I thought the Asus TUF X570 only had front iO for audio and said no USB based on reviews. Maybe I misunderstood but it would be nice to be able to have access to the additional front ports instead of leaving them inactive.

TRENDING THREADS