My stop me from now Buying the HP Omen Obelisk RTX 2080Ti build if it doesn't explode

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
May 3, 2020
Visit site
looking at the NZHT 510 and I’m a bit surprised by its smaller size Or I guess how narrow it is. Concerned about airflow. Kinda simple looks which are totally ok

Zoid

Community Contributor
Zoid, on the power supply, anticipate the Vega I picked save $20 in taxes so my real cost is $199 with not tax and then nice unit you suggested is $149 + tax so about $155. To keep it simple and for an extra $45 is it stupid to go with the available Vega.
I can't say that going with the EVGA PQ 1000 is stupid, because it's a very good power supply. I just don't think in your case that you'll realize any real benefit over the also very good EVGA SuperNova G3 750. However, if the ordering simplicity is worth the cost difference to you then by all means, the PQ 1000 is a great unit.
looking at the NZHT 510 and I’m a bit surprised by its smaller size Or I guess how narrow it is. Concerned about airflow. Kinda simple looks which are totally ok
The NZXT H510 is a couple inches taller than the Fractal Meshify C and within half an inch in width and depth, that said, they're both relatively compact ATX towers. I don't think the H510 is a bad pick. It doesn't have the best airflow of its competitors, but it has overall reasonable thermal performance.

My main gaming rig right now is in the baby brother NZXT H210i, and my thermals are fine, frankly. I'm running an R7 3800X and a GTX 1070. Temps are not the most optimized they could possibly be, but certainly still cool enough not to cause issues with performance or component longevity. The benefits I've found with the H210i (which extrapolate up to the H510) are that it's a really nicely designed case with very good build quality and cable management. The whole exterior is metal which I much prefer over plastic front panels, and it's a really nice case to build in thanks to the options for cable routing and the quality of the interior construction. I also find that what restrictions there are to airflow do benefit you in terms of acoustics. It's a fairly quiet case.

A final note if you go for the NZXT case: the H510i is the same case as the H510(non-i), it just has an added fan and LED hub that runs off of the NZXT CAM software. That software has lots of hate, but it's been updated recently and I think it's fine. If you don't care for case LEDs and have enough fan headers on your motherboard for all your fan needs, then the regular H510 might save you some money.

The PSU choice on BHP at the moment is dire.

It's bad everywhere I think, but limiting to 1 store cuts down options even further

WRT the EVGA (not Vega - Vega is an AMD GPU architecture!) PSU, their semi-passive modes are called 'Eco Mode'.

If you look up the various EVGA PSU models on their website, you'll notice that the EVGA G3 apparently only has a completely idle fan at 20% load max, while the Platinum is around 30%.

Other companies like Corsair's can have even higher thresholds.

One could argue 20% load threshold is fine, because under light load you'll be within 20% and in gaming load the other components like the GPU will be more audible anyway, but it still seems a bit lean and I definitely notice the difference on my completely idle RM850i fan versus some other Corsair and EVGA units with fans that do run under load. If noise is a sensitive issue, the EVGA Platinum might be worth it, but only if you can't get a model with a more 'generous' allowance for load until the fan kicks in at a reasonable price.

Reactions: Zoid
May 3, 2020
Visit site
The PSU choice on BHP at the moment is dire.

It's bad everywhere I think, but limiting to 1 store cuts down options even further

WRT the EVGA (not Vega - Vega is an AMD GPU architecture!) PSU, their semi-passive modes are called 'Eco Mode'.

If you look up the various EVGA PSU models on their website, you'll notice that the EVGA G3 apparently only has a completely idle fan at 20% load max, while the Platinum is around 30%.

Other companies like Corsair's can have even higher thresholds.

One could argue 20% load threshold is fine, because under light load you'll be within 20% and in gaming load the other components like the GPU will be more audible anyway, but it still seems a bit lean and I definitely notice the difference on my completely idle RM850i fan versus some other Corsair and EVGA units with fans that do run under load. If noise is a sensitive issue, the EVGA Platinum might be worth it, but only if you can't get a model with a more 'generous' allowance for load until the fan kicks in at a reasonable price.

hi, I’m going to search for the PSU suggested by you guys elsewhere. That’s easy. Deciding on the NZHT 510. I thin it’s the easiest pick for me and I’m not sure if the extra $30 for the 510i is anything I would fully understand to take advantage of.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi All,

I ordered my system, but missing a monitor MSI Optix MPG341cgrv (far back ordered) so back to drawing board for a 34" curved 120-144hz any suggestions? I also kept the power supply but will see if I can get another an just cancel this one. I really appreciate all this incredible help. You all rock

Zoid

Community Contributor
Hi All,

I ordered my system, but missing a monitor MSI Optix MPG341cgrv (far back ordered) so back to drawing board for a 34" curved 120-144hz any suggestions? I also kept the power supply but will see if I can get another an just cancel this one. I really appreciate all this incredible help. You all rock

High-end monitors are a little out of my wheelhouse, so I'll let others address that one. But congrats on the order! You have a very powerful system coming your way. Keep us updated on the build process with some photos if you don't mind sharing!

May 3, 2020
Visit site
High-end monitors are a little out of my wheelhouse, so I'll let others address that one. But congrats on the order! You have a very powerful system coming your way. Keep us updated on the build process with some photos if you don't mind sharing!

I totally will and wouldn't have gotten here without all your help. I added this liquid CPU cooler in case. I can always return it if i don't use it. Wasn't sure if it was necessary since the AMD comer with a cooler. Been a few years since I built a PC and things weren't nearly as thermonuclear on the inside. I hope things haven't changed too much ;-) Can't believe Windows 10 on USB backordered everywhere.

Zoid

Community Contributor
I totally will and wouldn't have gotten here without all your help. I added this liquid CPU cooler in case. I can always return it if i don't use it. Wasn't sure if it was necessary since the AMD comer with a cooler. Been a few years since I built a PC and things weren't nearly as thermonuclear on the inside. I hope things haven't changed too much ;-) Can't believe Windows 10 on USB backordered everywhere.

Yeah your CPU does come with a stock cooler, so you're right, you can try that out before making the choice to upgrade it. You may decide that temps and noise level are too high on the stock cooler, or you may decide that it's fine.

As for Windows 10, don't worry about buying a Windows USB, you can easily buy a digital download of Windows 10 and make your own installation media.

Reactions: Oussebon
Deciding on the NZHT 510. I thin it’s the easiest pick for me and I’m not sure if the extra $30 for the 510i is anything I would fully understand to take advantage of.
The point of the -i is that it has a 'smart' controller hub. The hub has had mixed reviews to put it mildly. It's unlikely to be worth the extra to you.

Re the stock cooler, while the CPU does have one, it will clock higher with a decent after market CPU cooler because of how the CPU's boosting features work. If you're interested:

As for the monitor, I don't know what local availability/pricing is like for you or what new models might be out, but here is a list I did a little while ago:

Budget options ~£350-450
There are some very budget options out there ~£350-£450. VA panels, 100hz, with Freesync
(Element Gaming) EG 35" (no reviews, advert here) which may be similar to the Massdrop Vast - Tom's Hardware review.

34" MSI Optix MAG341CQ - ~£450, 48-100hz freesync range, with LFC. VA panel, apparently by Samsung. - Tom's Hardware review

34" VA panels for ~£600+
Typically: Freesync, 100hz, 48-100hz range, with LFC. Mostly based on the same panel, 1800R curvature.
BenQ EX3501R (AMVA panel, AUO M350QVR01.1) - tftcentral review
AOC Agon AG352UCG (AMVA panel, AUO M350QVR01) - pcmonitors.info review, tftcentral review
ASUS ROG Strix XG35VQ (AMVA panel, AUO M350QVR01.1) pcmonitors.info review
ASUS TUF VG35VQ - (new, no review at the moment, may be a refresh of the XG35VQ with token HDR support)

That MSI monitor is only 7-14 days away on BHP though. It seems to be in stock on Newegg and Adorama. Which are the vendors PCPartpicker linked me to. Maybe just get the MSI and if it needs to be on BHP, wait upto 14 days for it to appear.

Reactions: Daso and Zoid
May 3, 2020
Visit site
Oussebon, Thanks again. Yes, the monitor thing is kind of annoying ;-) I saw the MSI you mentioned and was tempted. I had originally wanted the 144hz version at $799, but it's impossible to find, then I saw there is a 120hz version (otherwise exactly the same at $749 which I can get online and finally the one you mentioned at a way more attractive price at 100hz, but without some of the adjustability of the monitor and bells and whistles. I guess the question is now that I put the $$$ into the 2080ti, will I be able to see a difference between a 100, 120 and 144hz monitor. I've looked at some of the technical comparison videos online and while not great between 120-144 there is a bigger jump from 100hz. Ultimately, to this e with more experience with the current tech, does this make a difference?

It can make a difference if you are actually running the games at those framerates. But depending on the title, 100hz will be enough most of the time.

I didn't read carefully enough as I thought the 100hz monitor I mentioned was the one you mentioned :)

There are a lot more options in the $800 price range including ones with IPS panels I should think

May 3, 2020
Visit site
It can make a difference if you are actually running the games at those framerates. But depending on the title, 100hz will be enough most of the time.

I didn't read carefully enough as I thought the 100hz monitor I mentioned was the one you mentioned

There are a lot more options in the $800 price range including ones with IPS panels I should think

May 3, 2020
Visit site
all very confusing 😂 agreed. There are three MSI panels. The one you mentioned is the bargain at under $500 but limited adjustability (important to me) and 100hz, then the one I had originally chosen which is essentially the same panel with a 120hz refresh, fully adjustable at $749 then I noticed there was the exact same thing with a 144hz refresh at $799 but it seems unobtainable. They are all VA panels, so I get the dark blacks and higher contrast but why do they make the IPS panels sound not as attractive for gamers? Taking into account that I want to obviously game on this rig, I will also be doing my work on music apps, some 3D cad review (not creation) and general web browsing, word and excel use during the day So does an IPS panel make more sense as a general use monitor? As it is I’m excited and scared of the concept of a large curved monitor. I’d like to max out at $800 but would be thrilled to spend $500. An articulating base really means a lot since it’s on a desk and my son and wife will use it as well and all different heights

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
From what I read, for games VA seems to be the more interesting choice, mainly because the colors are better than TN, and it has a faster responsetime than IPS. So it basically scores in between.

I personally use a MSI Optix MAG322CQRV, it's a 1440p 144hz VA panel with adjustable height. Colorwise I'm liking it, great color adjustments possible using the gaming OSD (which basically is a software version of the color adjustment buttons). As far as I know there's a 4k version available (Optix MAG321CURV), but it only runs at 60hz. The 1440p I picked up for €500.

The 4k version currently is 415$ on Amazon415415$ on amazon.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
From what I read, for games VA seems to be the more interesting choice, mainly because the colors are better than TN, and it has a faster responsetime than IPS. So it basically scores in between.

I personally use a MSI Optix MAG322CQRV, it's a 1440p 144hz VA panel with adjustable height. Colorwise I'm liking it, great color adjustments possible using the gaming OSD (which basically is a software version of the color adjustment buttons). As far as I know there's a 4k version available (Optix MAG321CURV), but it only runs at 60hz. The 1440p I picked up for €500.

The 4k version currently is 415$ on Amazon415415$ on amazon.

Thanks, I got super excited and then realized I want the 34” version of yours which is unobtanium right now. $749 on the 120hz seem like a lot of money when the 144 I’d $799. Salesguy on one site tried to convince me that I should do IPS, but at this point I’m game for anything. I still have. Week so I’m scouring the sites for stock

I think VA panels sometimes might claim a faster response time, but in practice IPS often still has the edge. e.g.
(note the first response times chart, which has the more realistic scenario).

Quite a few other sites seems to echo that. Although almost any decent modern gaming monitor will have an acceptable response time outside of very competitive gaming.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
I think Insanity and cabin fever has gotten me here in NYC. I'm considering this panel which will supposedly be available next week and at $1,000 is $200 more than the max budget I had considered. Am I crazy?

Depends if it's affordable for you :p

You're buying a 2080 ti, so a high end monitor is pretty much a mandatory pairing.

However

1) I'd wait for professional reviews of the product before placing an order

2) Make sure the store you buy this or any expensive monitor has a decent returns policy in case of stuck/dead pixels.

Reactions: Zoid and Daso
May 3, 2020
Visit site
Depends if it's affordable for you

You're buying a 2080 ti, so a high end monitor is pretty much a mandatory pairing.

However

1) I'd wait for professional reviews of the product before placing an order

2) Make sure the store you buy this or any expensive monitor has a decent returns policy in case of stuck/dead pixels.

Only problem is that this is a new build and I don't have a monitor. It's the only one available in tbat category since it's brand new. BH has an excellent return policy so that is at least some security

In fairness, the 'waiting for reviews' thing is a standard policy of mine that I blanket apply to everything. Hardware, PC games, etc

In the case of the monitor, and if the store has a very good returns policy, that's arguably less of an issue. Because we know the sort of thing it is, LG's Nano-IPS screens have gone down very well, it's unlikely LG have dropped the ball, and if they have you still have the option to return. Moreover, especially with monitors, they can have excellent reviews and you can still end up with a bad unit (that is substandard while not technically being defective). So returns policy trumps reviews.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
I agree with you on every level. The added issue is needing the part in a barren part world. It's odd how LG numerates a newer model with a lower number (850 vs 950). I agree the reviews seemed positive on the previous with some concern for light bleed and qc of panels. Bother the previous model and the current will end up costing me the same with this panel having slightly better stated response time and overclocked hz to 166 refresh which the concept of over locking a monitor is not clear to me. We'll see.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
So, I'm a bit annoyed, they messed up my order and left the MSI tomahawk off and now only have the Asus Strix B450 left which I have to take for now. I noticed it only uses meemmory speeds up to 32oo when I purchased 3600.

Taht B450 mobo costs $135. Considering you can get the X570 Plus for $180, that's a tad expensive. I know it's a question of stock/availability, but still.

Use another store potentially?

The B450-F does support upto 3600MHz on 3rd Gen (3000 series) CPUs (the 3200MHz max relates to 2nd and 1st gen Ryzen). Getting those speeds could potentially depend on how much the mobo likes your kit.

TRENDING THREADS