My stop me from now Buying the HP Omen Obelisk RTX 2080Ti build if it doesn't explode

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
May 3, 2020
Visit site
They gave it to me for $100 but I’ll return it if I can get something better next week. Should I be looking for the X570 quickly. I can get from amazon or any other. Should I bellowing first the B470 chipsets ?

Many of MSI's X570s are really substandard.

You don't need an X570, a B450 will decent VRMs will do fine, but the Asus X570 TUF is a pretty good value in terms of features, VRM, etc if you do want an X570 board for PCIe 4,0 and possible better Ryzen 4000 series support.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, Haha, this order has been a bit of a joke, now I have te motherboard, but just noticed they backordered the power supply without telling me. At this rate, I might as well just see who has one with a lower fan idle speed while my monitor doesn't ship until May 13th. This is becoming kind of funny. I'll hopefully update with a few build pictures and a final system sometime in the near future ;-) most of the parts will arrive next week.

That is frustrating indeed!

All else being equal, Corsair's fans go to a relatively high % of load before the fans need to switch on, in their RMx series and presumably their RM too.

They say 40% here:

Reportedly the same for the 2019 RM:

I don't have the links to hand but I vaguely recall hearing the RMx despite being older is a bit better quality than the RM. Though either would be very good, it's just if A and B are the same price...

May 3, 2020
Visit site
That's great I was trying to see where this data was for the PSU's. Knowledge I never had. Now on the search for the PSU. I guess I'll have to be happy with the B450 mobo for now. I guess for $100 I can always upgrade at a later date. I found a MSS X570 gamer with WiFi but with shipping and tax would cost me $260 which just didn't seem worth it.

Reactions: Oussebon
May 3, 2020
Visit site
Well, crown me noob sucker of the day on the forum. My PSU fiasco lead me to searching everywhere and I ended up on corsairs own website and I was scared of a refurbished Rm750x and the new choices were an Rm1000x at $199 or an AX850 at $249. Both are 10% off and free ship. I purchased the Ax850. How stupid was that move? Amazing how even the computer sites are price gouging. Cheaper to buy from Corsair directly. Any of the RM series and others in the 650 to 850 range all out of stock. I’m hoping to find something else and cancel this one. If I keep it, I guess I’ll have a black Mercedes under my desk 😂😂😂

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Yet another wrinkle. Now, my original order is shipping with the the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W PQ Platinum at a total of $199 shipped or the Corsair AX850 at a total of $249 shipped. Which should I keep?

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I kinda think it is to do with Corsair itself. I happened to look for Corsair keyboards today, alot of keyboards were unavailable on Dutch stores.

As for PSU, I think I'd leave advice to Oussebon since I'm lacking sufficient knowledge :p

How stupid was that move?
Not stupid, at least you got a very good quality PSU - and these are strange times we live in (generally, and PC parts price wise)

As for PSU, I think I'd leave advice to Oussebon since I'm lacking sufficient knowledge
Appreciate the vote of confidence but those units are completely outwith my experience - they're in a price range I tend to forget exists :p

Now, my original order is shipping with the the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W PQ Platinum at a total of $199 shipped or the Corsair AX850 at a total of $249 shipped. Which should I keep?
Both have 10 year warranties, both are really good units (Platinum and Titanium rated). Both have good reputations for handling RMAs should you need to call on them. And both are way more than needed for the system. EVGA is $50 cheaper so of the two that would seem to be the better buy. There isn't a standout feature for the Corsair that jumps out at me, at a glance. No digital monitoring for instance afaics.

Reactions: Inspireless Llama
May 3, 2020
Visit site
Not stupid, at least you got a very good quality PSU - and these are strange times we live in (generally, and PC parts price wise)

Appreciate the vote of confidence but those units are completely outwith my experience - they're in a price range I tend to forget exists

Both have 10 year warranties, both are really good units (Platinum and Titanium rated). Both have good reputations for handling RMAs should you need to call on them. And both are way more than needed for the system. EVGA is $50 cheaper so of the two that would seem to be the better buy. There isn't a standout feature for the Corsair that jumps out at me, at a glance. No digital monitoring for instance afaics.

I was thinking the Same on the PSU as long as both were comparable quality. I'd prefer to save the $50 too as I'm hedging above my budget. I just want to build this thing already. It will hopefully last me a long time and or at least allow me to have a system I can upgrade for a while if needed 🙂. Thanks.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
One thing I read was that the EVGA is rather long and the Corsair more compact and small emouxt to work Inna micro atx case should I change cases down the line. I don't think that is really anything I'm going to be doing soon if the NZXT case is good. I guess I should check dimensions. I actually got the case. It's like a medium sized black obelisk with and obsurely printed NZXT on the front. Very monolithic 😉

The AX850 is 170mm long. The EVGA 1000W PQ is 180mm long. Both are relatively long PSUs (my Corsair RMi is 180mm).

So both the PQ and AX would cause issues in quite a lot of compact cases.

Even where cases technically support a PSU of X length, sometimes they don't really because they are assuming fixed cables rather than the extra length of modular ones plugged into the PSU body, and so on. And even if it all still fits it might not be much fun to work with.

I don't think 10mm is worth $50 for a project that may not happen, and may not be helped by the spend even if it does.

Reactions: Daso
May 3, 2020
Visit site
The AX850 is 170mm long. The EVGA 1000W PQ is 180mm long. Both are relatively long PSUs (my Corsair RMi is 180mm).

So both the PQ and AX would cause issues in quite a lot of compact cases.

Even where cases technically support a PSU of X length, sometimes they don't really because they are assuming fixed cables rather than the extra length of modular ones plugged into the PSU body, and so on. And even if it all still fits it might not be much fun to work with.

I don't think 10mm is worth $50 for a project that may not happen, and may not be helped by the spend even if it does.

Oh boy. Crossing my fingers. Will check the case and hope it fits 🙄🙄 the adventure continues.

I didn't check the NZXT 510 but it's an ATX case with a PSU shroud - unless it has drive cages really close it's probably fine.

I can't find PSU length confirmed anywhere but this review of the 510 says they confirmed "at least 170mm" - and if you look at their build pics you can see how much space there is left with their 170mm PSU:

The extra centimetre should be fine.

Reactions: Zoid and Daso
May 3, 2020
Visit site
The parts are slowly arriving . Option to get this board if I hold off for a week on build. Asrock x570 Steel Legend at $199, or keep my Strix B450-F Gaming AM4 ATX Motherboard ? Also, the AMD cooler has thermal material in place but how hard is it to get off of CPU if I decide to use the liquid cooler which will arrive a week later. Should I hold off on build for liquid cooling or try it without first?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1495027-REG/asrock_x570_steel_legend_amd.html. Cant wait to build this. Monitor a week away too.

View: https://imgur.com/a/jMB2jzr

Reactions: Zoid

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Unless you have cleaning stuff to get the cooling paste off I'd hold off for a week. Also, I personally managed to get my CPU out of the socket while removing the cooler twice now. Once it destroyed my CPU.

When removing a cooler, there's always cooling paste left on the CPU which you need to remove. I use artic cleaner for that, I guess there are other things but you need to have those :)

Reactions: Daso
May 3, 2020
Visit site
Unless you have cleaning stuff to get the cooling paste off I'd hold off for a week. Also, I personally managed to get my CPU out of the socket while removing the cooler twice now. Once it destroyed my CPU.

When removing a cooler, there's always cooling paste left on the CPU which you need to remove. I use artic cleaner for that, I guess there are other things but you need to have those

I'll probably hold off. I hope it makes a difference using liquid cooling since the fan and heat sink that came with the chip seems fairly solid too. . Pretty inexpensive cooler master 2 fan unit. Now I have the Mobo choice as well.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I still haven't figured out yet if my liquid cooler cools better than my previous air one or not. From what I understood it will cool better during long sessions because of the liquid, the CPU will be cooled for a longer period of time.

So far the hottest I've seen my CPU on was 75 degrees and that was after I noticedd the liquid was a bit too hot for my liking. I've changed my fans on the radiator so my liquid is more of a preferable temperature, my CPU is at about 37-38 degrees celsius at idle. With my current case, liquid cooling is more quiet too than the AMD stock aircooler I had.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
I guess I’ll start with the liquid cooling and if all is well just stick with it. My biggest concern is figuring out out to hook it up in my case and Mobo once I decide if im using the B450 or X570

Zoid

Community Contributor
I guess I’ll start with the liquid cooling and if all is well just stick with it. My biggest concern is figuring out out to hook it up in my case and Mobo once I decide if im using the B450 or X570
I agree that waiting for the liquid cooler is probably better, in your case at least. The stock Ryzen coolers do an alright job with temperatures, but they aren't exactly whisper quiet. Since noise level is important for this build, you'll be happier if you just slap that water cooler in when it arrives. Installing them really isn't to tricky - not much different than installing a regular CPU cooler except that it has a fan and radiator attached that you mount like any other fan.

How exciting that parts are starting to come in!

May 3, 2020
Visit site
I agree that waiting for the liquid cooler is probably better, in your case at least. The stock Ryzen coolers do an alright job with temperatures, but they aren't exactly whisper quiet. Since noise level is important for this build, you'll be happier if you just slap that water cooler in when it arrives. Installing them really isn't to tricky - not much different than installing a regular CPU cooler except that it has a fan and radiator attached that you mount like any other fan.

How exciting that parts are starting to come in!

now my last dilemma is to use the ROG Strix B450 mobo which arrives today or wait until next week for the Asrock X570 Steel legend and return the ROG. I’m tempted to just wait since monitor wont arrive until end of week. Would be too cool to haveall the parts for my bday end of week, neither board seems stellar but beggars can’t be choosers 😀

TRENDING THREADS