Question My pc crashed and now it doesn't correctly boot nor does it let me reinstall windows

May 21, 2024
Visit site
I just built by partner a desktop pc with windows, before installing it, I checked the bios for if all the components were loaded correctly, and there was not a problem at all, and then I installed W11.

I didn't have any kind of problem installing the drivers from the official msi page and the nvidia program, I even tested the pc with Elden Ring at max settings with rtx on, but then I tried Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart (pc port known to be unstable and crash a lot, which I didn't know at the time) and after 10 minutes of perfect play the game completely crashed the pc, no Windows combination worked, which ended in a blue screen, since then the computer doesn't load correctly and I only managed to boot it correctly in windows safe mode.

I thought reinstalling windows would fix it but it didn't, and because of trying now I dont have it installed anymore so I cant boot into secure mode, the installation screen also gives me either an error or a blue screen.

I already did a memory test and a ssd check with no errors at all.

The pc didn't give any kind of problem before the crash and we used it for a day or so.

these are some of the error messages from the blue screen:
system service exception
page fault in nonpaged area
irql not less or equal
critical process died

the pc specs are

intel core i7 12700KF
32 gb ram ddr5 6000mhz (acer predator vesta II)
msi b760 motherboard
pny 4060 ti

Kingston nv2 1tb ssd

May 23, 2024
Visit site
Make sure all your drivers are updated and from the manufacturer website if needed (this is usually the case for GPU's) Those errors could be a driver issue. It can also be faulty RAM.

In any case, I would also run this in your command prompt as administrator, sfc /scannow

Reactions: Brian Boru
I already did a memory test and a ssd check with no errors at all.
did you run memtest?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Other thought is it could be the ssd itself.

May 21, 2024
Visit site
Make sure all your drivers are updated and from the manufacturer website if needed (this is usually the case for GPU's) Those errors could be a driver issue. It can also be faulty RAM.

In any case, I would also run this in your command prompt as administrator, sfc /scannow
the thing is, I don't even have windows installed anymore, but even in the installation screen I still get blue screens

May 21, 2024
Visit site
did you run memtest?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Other thought is it could be the ssd itself.
I ran both memtest on both sticks and an ssd test with no errors in any case :(

system service exception
page fault in nonpaged area
irql not less or equal
critical process died
three of those BSOD could be drivers, but the last one is specifically a windows error. It can only happen if a Microsoft process crashes. Alas, there are a number of them that can cause it so its not really helpful to identify problem.

I suggested memtest as in a lot of cases, errors during install caused by ram.
Is it running in XMP? Try running stock speeds until we get OS back on.

how new was the installer? Could make a new one (2nd link) on another USB drive, and see if its any better - https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

is it this board?
Do you have latest BIOS as it can help on new builds.

May 19, 2024
Visit site
If your PC crashed and now it won't boot or let you reinstall Windows, start by checking hardware connections and removing any unnecessary peripherals. Try booting into Safe Mode to diagnose issues. If that fails, use a Windows installation USB to repair or reinstall Windows. You might also need to access BIOS/UEFI to check boot order or reset settings. If these steps don't work, consider seeking professional help.

May 21, 2024
Visit site
three of those BSOD could be drivers, but the last one is specifically a windows error. It can only happen if a Microsoft process crashes. Alas, there are a number of them that can cause it so its not really helpful to identify problem.

I suggested memtest as in a lot of cases, errors during install caused by ram.
Is it running in XMP? Try running stock speeds until we get OS back on.

how new was the installer? Could make a new one (2nd link) on another USB drive, and see if its any better - https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

is it this board?
Do you have latest BIOS as it can help on new builds.
Memtested both sticks, together and one by one, in multiple slots.
It always ran at stock speed, never used XMP, also tried to install using multiple bootable USBs, and running the latest bios.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts