my computer is really slow/laggy and can hardly play Apex/overwatch

Jan 5, 2023
Visit site
Hello, I have a gaming pre-built pc, I got it two years ago and now I find it hard to play any game no matter the intensity of it(but my most common are Apex and Overwatch 2) when I play them lag is so bad I can hardly move or see. I don't know if this helps but I have a Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb of corsair vengeance rgb pro(Installed yesterday) and a ryzen GPU don't really know what to try next. help greatly appreciated!

Zoid

Community Contributor
What GPU do you have (ryzen GPU isn't a thing, if you pull up task manager and go to the performance tab it'll tell you what you have)? And what actual framerates are you getting?

While you are gaming and getting poor performance, use task manager or some other monitoring software (MSI afterburner, AMD adrenaline, etc) to track what hardware utilization you are seeing. Is your CPU, GPU, RAM, or Disk usage constantly at or near 100%?

Other things to check would be temperatures to make sure nothing is overheating and throttling performance.

Once you know the answers to the above then we can do some more troubleshooting.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 5, 2023
Visit site
I Don't see a GPU option all it says is CPU, Memory, disk 0, disk 1, WIFI, ethernet.

I noticed that my CPU while playing APEX especially was like 97-100% constantly

and I don't know how to check temp.

Edit: Radeon RX 580

nothing is being throttled, and

Last edited:
Have you done anything to the power supply? What power supply is in it and how many watts is it?

Have you checked for components that need driver/firmware updates? Especially look at your system drive (C: drive) which is performing terribly. If it's in need of updating and causing errors, it could be impacting everything else. Be sure to check for a bios update.

Does your computer crash frequently?

Your CPU is under performing and your GPU isn't showing up. Please open a game and then open Task Manager to the performance page and tell us the CPU and GPU utilization. It should be nearing 100 percent for the GPU..

Is the PC plugged into a surge protector with a joule rating of 1000 or better?

What all is plugged into your USB ports?

Have you done a fresh installation of Windows?

Have you run a virus/malware scan?

Jan 5, 2023
Visit site
Have you done anything to the power supply? What power supply is in it and how many watts is it?

Have you checked for components that need driver/firmware updates? Especially look at your system drive (C: drive) which is performing terribly. If it's in need of updating and causing errors, it could be impacting everything else. Be sure to check for a bios update.

Does your computer crash frequently?

Your CPU is under performing and your GPU isn't showing up. Please open a game and then open Task Manager to the performance page and tell us the CPU and GPU utilization. It should be nearing 100 percent for the GPU..

Is the PC plugged into a surge protector with a joule rating of 1000 or better?

What all is plugged into your USB ports?

Have you done a fresh installation of Windows?

Have you run a virus/malware scan?
ok umm how do I check the firmware/driver update

no crashes, but occasionally freezes

I cant see the GPU part in task manager but CPU is near 100% frequently

it is plugged into an old power strip I found lying around my house

Keyboard, Mouse, phone charger

idk how to do that(ill check settings bc I think thats what you mean)

a while ago

I also found that my case is really dusty so i'm cleaning it with some pressurized air today

ok umm how do I check the firmware/driver update

no crashes, but occasionally freezes

I cant see the GPU part in task manager but CPU is near 100% frequently

it is plugged into an old power strip I found lying around my house

Keyboard, Mouse, phone charger

idk how to do that(ill check settings bc I think thats what you mean)

a while ago

I also found that my case is really dusty so i'm cleaning it with some pressurized air today
Your GPU didn't show up in the benchmark or in the Task Manager, so I'm assuming it either doesn't exist or stopped working. Go to your Device Manager (there's a search bar at the bottom of the desktop) and find the GPU in the list and click on it. When the box pops up, it should say something like, "This device is working properly."

Your power unit is probably okay since your CPU is at or near 100 percent usage.

You should be able to check for updates automatically by going to the Device Manager and going through each component individually and having Windows search for a new driver. Firmware updates would be on the manufacturer's websites. I'm unfamiliar with AMD's GPU drivers, but that should be as easy as going to Google and typing in "AMD graphics drivers".

Your GPU isn't that old. It wouldn't surprise me if you didn't have an electrical incident. If you can get the rest of your components back up to snuff with updates, or a fresh installation of Windows, you could replace the GPU and be back in business.

But you have a mess on your hands and are still learning your way around a PC. My suggestion for you is to take it to a local computer repair shop and pay them to diagnose the problem. It shouldn't be that expensive. This will be cheaper in the long run than guessing the problem and buying new components.

Jan 5, 2023
Visit site
Your GPU didn't show up in the benchmark or in the Task Manager, so I'm assuming it either doesn't exist or stopped working. Go to your Device Manager (there's a search bar at the bottom of the desktop) and find the GPU in the list and click on it. When the box pops up, it should say something like, "This device is working properly."

Your power unit is probably okay since your CPU is at or near 100 percent usage.

You should be able to check for updates automatically by going to the Device Manager and going through each component individually and having Windows search for a new driver. Firmware updates would be on the manufacturer's websites. I'm unfamiliar with AMD's GPU drivers, but that should be as easy as going to Google and typing in "AMD graphics drivers".

Your GPU isn't that old. It wouldn't surprise me if you didn't have an electrical incident. If you can get the rest of your components back up to snuff with updates, or a fresh installation of Windows, you could replace the GPU and be back in business.

But you have a mess on your hands and are still learning your way around a PC. My suggestion for you is to take it to a local computer repair shop and pay them to diagnose the problem. It shouldn't be that expensive. This will be cheaper in the long run than guessing the problem and buying new components.
ok I found out that my GPU was disabled and I enabled it, reinstalled the drivers and now it works fine I played a round of overwatch and now it works fine

Reactions: Brian Boru and Zoid

TRENDING THREADS