Must have 90's- Mid 2000's Games?

Sep 24, 2023
Visit site
Hello,

In process of getting back into some old 90's PC Game favorites........what are some must have/must play games from this era?

Besides AOE of course :) that was the first one I got again recently.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Welcome to the forum :)

old 90's PC Game favorites

Baldur's Gate
Civilization
Command and Conquer
Command and Conquer Red Alert
Commander Keen
Counter-Strike
Diablo
Doom
Dune II
Everquest
Frontier: Elite 2
GoldenEye 007
Half-Life
Lemmings
Myst
Prince of Persia
Quake
Quake III: Arena
Secret of Monkey Island
StarCraft: Brood War
Starsiege: Tribes
System Shock 2
The Operative: No One Lives Forever
The Sims
Thief: The Dark Project
Tomb Raider
Total Annihilation
UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-COM: UFO Defense)
Ultima Online
Ultima: Stygian Abyss
Warcraft
WC III: Heart of the Tiger
Wolfenstein 3D

Zloth

Community Contributor
Sacrifice, BattleZone, Descent, Ultima series, Freelancer (I still haven't gotten to play that), Final Fantasy 6, 7, and 10, XenoGears (another I've never been able to play)....

Classics released before internet let devs cheat and release broken games, and maybe fix them...
First, no, the games always had plenty of bugs, they just wouldn't fix them. Or they would upload the fixes to BBSs and let them spread. Or they would put them on CompuServer/GEnie/AoL. Second, no, the internet was going pretty strong by then, especially for gamers. Didn't you ever finger John Romero? I know I did, on many occasions. (Don't think about that too much.)

Plenty of lucas arts adventure games to consider grim fandango being one of them. Stuff like Loom, the original monkey island, monkey island 2, day of the tentacle, the dig are worth searching for.

other point and click adventures like beneath a steel sky and the broken sword series are worth snapping up. The former is also free, so no reason to not play it.

Oh and the rise of CD meant being buried full of actors in front of green screens. So stuff like The 7th guest, ripper, black dahlia will be on the list.

i suppose commandos, doom 2 (although more for the community wads) and unreal tournament (the rival of quake 3 at the time).

if we're counting the 90s as it 1990 -2000 we might be here for quite a while....

i could probably list the older stuff that probably hasn't aged well that were brilliant games for its time. Like moonstone : a hard days knight or normality, the original worms , dungeon keeper, dungeon master, rise of the triad etc etc

Last edited:
This is slowly turning into the retro games scene. thinking of games that were good that were decent back in the day and still playable, 2 games spring to mind:

Syndicate
Cannon fodder 1 and 2

both of those games are fairly simple in controls but they are entertaining even today. perhaps theme park, theme hospital as well? Sim city 2000 is good, but Sim city 3000 might be worth a look as well.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts