Question Motherboard/network issue

So i am building my comp, it's all together and working but for the life of me i can't get the LAN port to work. I have a Asus z-490-a Prime. I have contacted their support and ran their entire gambit of tests/checks. Check bios if Intel LAN is on, Updated firmware, Updated MB bios. The issue is i can't get the drivers to install. The program starts and then just crashes. I see the little box open for a flash, but it blanks out and is gone. If i install from the disk, it pretends to install it, or acts like it. (shows writing/installing) then restart pops, but nothing.

I'm at the point i don't think there is another option besides sending the board back, which is a PIA. (do i really want to take the whole comp apart!!) Asus should give me shipping RMA and pay for it, but still, putting in that watercooler and that darn microscopic screw to hold that SSD, Which only took me about 30 mins of trying.. (Who makes a screw that tiny, it's not a watch, It could be a darn 1" tall bolt with all the room there!) But i digress.

So i ordered a PCI-E Net rosewill net card. (no PCI slots, I had two old net cards collecting dust), Why not have an old PCI slot on new boards btw.. There is plenty of great old hardware like very nice sound cards for example that could easily be used in modern systems and be upgrades to what is there.

My q's

should i Just Bite the bullet and RMA the thing now and just do the dirty work which i really don't wanna do lol. OR just ask for the RMA just so they know it's bad and not send it right now just incase i have future issues. (then let them know i fixed it with the work around PCI-E card)

2, In the bios should i disable the Intel LAN setting. (the rosewill net card is an intel LAN card,) but my thinking is, turn it off as it is most likely referring to the onboard, aka bios.. But I'm not positive.

Reactions: FreMz
The program starts and then just crashes. I see the little box open for a flash, but it blanks out and is gone. If i install from the disk, it pretends to install it, or acts like it. (shows writing/installing) then restart pops, but nothing.
anything showing in event viewer when this error occurs? should be a record of it.

which version of windows 10?
  1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 21H1

2 does refer to onboard motherboard, not the lan card.

But what is this event viewer thing and where is it located?
1 R-click Start, it's 3rd item on my popout.
2 Press Windows key and type event viewer, click the app up top when it appears. It's actually located in the Computer Management suite.

Before settling on using the Rosewill:

Uninstall the existing LAN driver in Device Manager;
Disable the on-board LAN in BIOS.

Reboot.

Enable in BIOS;
Windows should locate & install driver.

Point is, sometimes turning stuff off and back on solves a glitch like this.

I assume WiFi LAN is no good to you? I got a couple of these many years ago, did the trick:

It's the base version that comes on the disk. It's a brand new build.
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - that will give you latest version, it might have newer drivers for your lan on it.
its 2nd link on page, 1st just download upgrade assistant that will update current install but not handy if you want a USB installer instead.

TRENDING THREADS