Minisforum Mini PC

Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
Good day everyone,

I recently saw this company Minisforum thats making mini PCs for quite competitive prices and the specs also looks quite good. I was wondering if I should get one but I first wanted some advice from you guys as I don't know much about PCs and the company is quite new, it was founded in 2018. I saw some pretty bad reviews but also some good ones. It looks like the wait time is a bit long but that isn't a big deal for me. The most powerful model is the Minisforum Neptune HX99G I think. It has a AMD Ryzen 6900HX CPU and a AMD Radeon 6600M (8GB VRAM) graphics card which is a dedicated one I think, up to 64GB of RAM and 2TB of SSD storage. I saw a YouTube video of one playing Cyberpunk 2077 at 1080p 60fps comfortably. As far as I understand Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the most challenging games for a PC so I must then be able to comfortably game on it. This will also be my first PC so I am still deciding which monitor I want but I think I will be going for a 1440p one as the 4K ones is a bit expensive for me. Please let me know your thoughts on this and maybe someone on here has already made this purchase. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum :)

I understand Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the most challenging games for a PC
Not really—Steam specs:

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 or AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
    • Memory: 12 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GTX 1060 6GB / GTX 1660 Super or Radeon RX 590
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 70 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: SSD recommended
It's fairly challenging, but my cheapish 2017 PC meets those specs.

I know nothing about Minisforum, but this recent PCG article makes me question their design ability: Minisforum's new mini-ITX PC lets you mount a GPU on top of the case.
They want a GPU sitting on top with only the cable connecting it? Not attached in any other way?? Haven't these people heard of cats or kids or drunk gamers???

Tom's Hardware also recent article—they have older ones too—Minisforum Announce Six-Liter Desktops With Discrete GPU Options is neutral about the topic—doesn't knock it, but has questions.

Wait for one of our hardware experts to drop by, but I'll be amazed if a GPU cable connection can come close to the data transfer speeds of a motherboard bus. I also have questions about the PSU used and the cooling solution in such a tiny box.

The most powerful model is the Minisforum Neptune HX99G I think
$740.

Anyway, wait for expert input :)

Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
Maybe the 4K setting of Cyberpunk is more challenging I don't know, I don't know much about PCs. I also don't understand that design there, as far as I understand of the cooling systems there are 2 fans on top but I don't know if they are inlet or exhaust and it has a bunch of heatsinks. I'll definitely wait for some expert advice, thank you.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I'm not any kind of professional, but I wouldnt go for one of those unless I really had to save the space. No knowledge of the particular product but I understand specs. Cooling is always an issue the smaller you go, and running hot reduces the lifetime of hardware. Add to that the fact that once its bnroken you arent going to be easily replacing any parts.

You could build something with a mini ITX case for the same money that would only be a little bigger and cost about the same, while also being upgradeable in the future and more powerful off the bat.

Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
I'm not any kind of professional, but I wouldnt go for one of those unless I really had to save the space. No knowledge of the particular product but I understand specs. Cooling is always an issue the smaller you go, and running hot reduces the lifetime of hardware. Add to that the fact that once its bnroken you arent going to be easily replacing any parts.

You could build something with a mini ITX case for the same money that would only be a little bigger and cost about the same, while also being upgradeable in the future and more powerful off the bat.
Thanks for the advice. I am also starting to think the same thing. For $1000 I will still be able to get a decent PC right?

For $1000 I will still be able to get a decent PC right?

"Decent" yes, but less decent if all the extras are included in that budget—monitor, keyboard, mouse, mat, wrist rest, powered USB hub, headset, speaker system …uh wait, how many thousands did you say? :D

Would you prefer to build or buy, what country are you in, and any preferred retailers there?

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
"Decent" yes, but less decent if all the extras are included in that budget—monitor, keyboard, mouse, mat, wrist rest, powered USB hub, headset, speaker system …uh wait, how many thousands did you say? :D

Would you prefer to build or buy, what country are you in, and any preferred retailers there?

That is quite true. I think I will be best of buying a pre built PC because I don't want to be struggling by building one myself.

I assume you are in the US? And do you still want a mini PC or are you happy with a normal desktop tower? Do you need a monitor and peripherals for the $1000?

Another option would be to buy parts for the build and take them to a local independent PC store to assemble. It eats in to the budget but no more than the tax you would get from buying a prebuilt straight up. You'd also have the benefit of having better quality components all round. Pre build stores tend to cheap out on non headline parts like the power supply or case to increase profits.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
I assume you are in the US? And do you still want a mini PC or are you happy with a normal desktop tower? Do you need a monitor and peripherals for the $1000?

Another option would be to buy parts for the build and take them to a local independent PC store to assemble. It eats in to the budget but no more than the tax you would get from buying a prebuilt straight up. You'd also have the benefit of having better quality components all round. Pre build stores tend to cheap out on non headline parts like the power supply or case to increase profits.
Sorry no I am in South Africa. The main reason I am looking for a PC is because I am obsessed with Farming Simulator. I currently have a normal laptop but its too weak to play FS22. I have thought about a gaming laptop but they are generally not so powerful as a PC I think. The $1000 is just for the PC, I'll rather spend a bit more as you said I won't get all the monitors and stuff for a $1000. Would it be cheaper to build my own PC? Thanks.

Farming Simulator
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-5675C or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or better
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GeForce GTX 1060 or Radeon RX 570 or better (min 6GB VRAM)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 35 GB available space
    • Sound Card: Sound card
    • Additional Notes: These system requirements can´t cover all possible system configurations so issues could occur that influence the functionality in some cases.
Steam Specs are pretty low, my 2017 cheapish PC can handle that.

Would it be cheaper to build my own PC?

Depends on how many corners are cut on a pre-built PC, like Kaamos said. One of the main reasons to build is to increase the chances that the system will last a good while, especially by picking top grade power supply, motherboard and cooling.

Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-5675C or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or better
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GeForce GTX 1060 or Radeon RX 570 or better (min 6GB VRAM)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 35 GB available space
    • Sound Card: Sound card
    • Additional Notes: These system requirements can´t cover all possible system configurations so issues could occur that influence the functionality in some cases.
Steam Specs are pretty low, my 2017 cheapish PC can handle that.

Depends on how many corners are cut on a pre-built PC, like Kaamos said. One of the main reasons to build is to increase the chances that the system will last a good while, especially by picking top grade power supply, motherboard and cooling.
Thanks for the advice. It is maybe not so demanding game but if you are the kind of person that run loads of mods it can get quite demanding I think. What do you think about getting a gaming laptop instead?

Generally its cheaper to build your own desktop. It does take a bit of thought and research but once youre up and running you can upgrade and troubleshoot everything for yourself afterwards. If you are interested watch some videos from Linus tech tips or Jayz2cents on Youtube on how to build to familiaize yourself with the process. Otherwise you could post some links to shops you would trust to buy a pre built system from and we can take a look for you for the best options there.

Laptops are fine and good but suffer from the same problems as teh mini PC, as in when theyre out of date or parts break then the whole system is generally done for, and theyre more expensive for less performance. Convenience is what you pay for.

I dont know much about South African PC shops as to which are most reliable and how prices are there. Heres an example build from the US version at about $1000

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($144.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($18.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($138.39 @ MemoryC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($117.98 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1053.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-08-04 08:40 EDT-0400

I'll also page @Why_Me in case he is familiar with any good south african stores as he's very good at finding the best deals locally for parts.

Let us know what you think.

Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
Generally its cheaper to build your own desktop. It does take a bit of thought and research but once youre up and running you can upgrade and troubleshoot everything for yourself afterwards. If you are interested watch some videos from Linus tech tips or Jayz2cents on Youtube on how to build to familiaize yourself with the process. Otherwise you could post some links to shops you would trust to buy a pre built system from and we can take a look for you for the best options there.

Laptops are fine and good but suffer from the same problems as teh mini PC, as in when theyre out of date or parts break then the whole system is generally done for, and theyre more expensive for less performance. Convenience is what you pay for.

I dont know much about South African PC shops as to which are most reliable and how prices are there. Heres an example build from the US version at about $1000

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($144.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($18.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($138.39 @ MemoryC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($117.98 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1053.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-08-04 08:40 EDT-0400

I'll also page @Why_Me in case he is familiar with any good south african stores as he's very good at finding the best deals locally for parts.

Let us know what you think.
Hi again, thanks a lot for all the advice. I have done some research and it seems to me this company builds some solid PCs chaoscomputers.co.za and then we have a online store called takealot (https://www.takealot.com/computers/gaming-pc-27163) that also sells some PCs. 20,000 South African Rand is about 1,000 USD I think. In the meantime something else caught my eye regarding the laptop situation. The Framework 16 laptop. It seems really cool but some people say they are not going to make it or they are too expensive but I don't know. I think they were quite successful with their smaller one the Framework 13. Let me know your thoughts about this. Thanks.

The framework 16 looks pretty nice on paper, with a Radeon 7700 it will game pretty well at 1080p.

The Takealot PC's around your budget are all using pretty low end power supplies, as are the ones from Chaos so I dont want to recommend any of them. I also tried to spec out a custom build for 20k Rand and its pretty tough to put something decent together with the pricing you have there. The Framework with a Radeon 7700M certainly has everything possible in that budget pretty soundly beaten, again on paper..

Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
The framework 16 looks pretty nice on paper, with a Radeon 7700 it will game pretty well at 1080p.

The Takealot PC's around your budget are all using pretty low end power supplies, as are the ones from Chaos so I dont want to recommend any of them. I also tried to spec out a custom build for 20k Rand and its pretty tough to put something decent together with the pricing you have there. The Framework with a Radeon 7700M certainly has everything possible in that budget pretty soundly beaten, again on paper..
Thanks a lot for having a look. I guess the PC components is a bit more expensive here in South Africa. I think I will be waiting a bit to see if the Framework 16 is worth getting. I don't know if they will be able to ship to my country. I think if I get the one with dedicated graphics it will cost around $2000 but then I I don't have to worry about getting a monitor and other things. The framework 16 has a 1440p screen I think, maybe it will be able to play Farming Simulator 22 at that resolution? I don't know much about resolutions. Thank you to everyone that gave me advice.

Farming simulator will work fine on that laptop as will any game, you may have to reduce settings to high or medium from ultra in some of the most demanding ones, but theyll work fine.

If you were willing to up the budget to the same price as the laptop (40k rand?) and were willing to build I could likely and put something together from TAKEALOT that would beat it including a monitor.

Sorry for irregular replies, I'm busy and trying to answer when I can.

Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
Farming simulator will work fine on that laptop as will any game, you may have to reduce settings to high or medium from ultra in some of the most demanding ones, but theyll work fine.

If you were willing to up the budget to the same price as the laptop (40k rand?) and were willing to build I could likely and put something together from TAKEALOT that would beat it including a monitor.

Sorry for irregular replies, I'm busy and trying to answer when I can.
Thanks for the reply. Its good to hear that it would work good for plenty of games. So for 40k rand you think I might be able to get a better PC combo?

zGFbXfl.jpg

I played a round a bit with TAKEALOT and put together this basket from them. Would be really nice if there was a price comparison site for SA but doesnt seem to be.

Anyway this would work as a build and in gaming outperform the framework with the by a bit. Prices and range there arent as good as Europe and the US unfortunately. The monitor works with Gsync over a Display Port cable as tested by Rtings.

Added bonus is upgradability for the future without being stuck in the Framework ecosystem, the cons are the fact you have to build it yourself and it will have a bigger footprint. Just putting options on the table for you, not as much ahead as I would have hoped tbh :)

Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
zGFbXfl.jpg

I played a round a bit with TAKEALOT and put together this basket from them. Would be really nice if there was a price comparison site for SA but doesnt seem to be.

Anyway this would work as a build and in gaming outperform the framework with the by a bit. Prices and range there arent as good as Europe and the US unfortunately. The monitor works with Gsync over a Display Port cable as tested by Rtings.

Added bonus is upgradability for the future without being stuck in the Framework ecosystem, the cons are the fact you have to build it yourself and it will have a bigger footprint. Just putting options on the table for you, not as much ahead as I would have hoped tbh :)
Thanks a lot, you really seem to be a very good tech guy. So building the PC won't be rocket science? This build seems to be very good, I think I will definitely consider it but for now I will be waiting to see what the tech reviewers say about the Framework 16 laptop and if it is worth the money. Thanks again.

Thanks a lot, you really seem to be a very good tech guy. So building the PC won't be rocket science? This build seems to be very good, I think I will definitely consider it but for now I will be waiting to see what the tech reviewers say about the Framework 16 laptop and if it is worth the money. Thanks again.
BntZ4Oy.png

I just enjoy reading about tech and been doing it for quite a while :)

Not such a good tech guy that I didnt pick the wrong screenshot though, this one is the 40k I meant to post :D

Its not rocket science but it does demand a bit of research and a steady hand. Watch some build videos and with a bit of care it will be fine, everyone has to start somewhere.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
BntZ4Oy.png

I just enjoy reading about tech and been doing it for quite a while :)

Not such a good tech guy that I didnt pick the wrong screenshot though, this one is the 40k I meant to post :D

Its not rocket science but it does demand a bit of research and a steady hand. Watch some build videos and with a bit of care it will be fine, everyone has to start somewhere.
Thanks a lot. Have a great day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts