Question Mid-Week Question: The best pet in a game is...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm late (again) with the mid-week question, but let's talk about your favorite video game pet!

Dog from Half-Life 2? Dogmeat from Fallout 3 & 4? Roach from The Witcher? Someone else?

Let me know who your favorite video game pet is and why -- I'll most likely publish the story tomorrow (Thursday)!

The creature from Black & White is the best pet in a video game by far.

It has an own, distinct personality (the cow's being to just eat everything it can get its hands on).

It can learn to cast any of the miracles you can, meaning it can care for your villagers or blow up entire towns, depending on whether you raise it to be good or evil.

It can learn to catch stones thrown at it and throw them back. It can also do this with fireballs.

It can get stoned off of mushrooms.

It's probably one of the most complex learning AIs ever made for a game and it's almost 20 years old.

There's a 6000 word article just on the various ways you can train your creature to do exactly what you want:

I'll always carry a torch for my Torchlight 2 pets purely for their ability to slog back to town and sell my crap for me. The only potentially troubling part being that they take a percentage of the profits in exchange for their efforts, and I'm not sure what a panda with a backpack needs money for when I've been footing the bill for all his fish and collar accessories. Does he have rent? Where? As far as I can tell he lives four feet behind my player character, on a pile of corpses.

I'll always carry a torch for my Torchlight 2 pets purely for their ability to slog back to town and sell my crap for me. The only potentially troubling part being that they take a percentage of the profits in exchange for their efforts, and I'm not sure what a panda with a backpack needs money for when I've been footing the bill for all his fish and collar accessories. Does he have rent? Where? As far as I can tell he lives four feet behind my player character, on a pile of corpses.

That timer isn't the time your pet needs to travel, it's the time he's in the tavern spending his cut.

Reactions: Mazer

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I like the very original concept of Sir Lora from Divinity: Original Sin 2. With the appropriate talent you can talk to animals in this game. But what about talking to squirrel that rides an undead cat? Maybe it's not the best pet in terms of interactions or bonuses, but it has a very exotic and unique feeling. You won't find anything like that in other games...

Reactions: Mazer
Always dogmeat from fallout 3, I spent many nights with that lovable scamp searching for raiders and ghouls, what if he died you ask? an earlier save will be loaded, no matter how many hours ago that was.

Also the beautiful Saber-toothed Tiger from Sacred two, Riding that beast through the Bendaresh Desert was a sight to behold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mazer and Krud
May 21, 2020
Visit site
My favorite looking pet in a game is Loque’nahak the leopard spirit beast in World of Warcraft and in ARK which has the best pets out of all games in my opinion, is the cute Jerboa, even though they are easily killed.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
It's from a mod but "Doge" for Skyrim.

9CCCFF2B8254703183905FEC56286CD1E8DFB4A6

May 2, 2020
Visit site
I will never forget my dragon, Wendel. I looted him from Wormguts down in Firecat Alley on a gamble that my relatively low-level character could pull off summoning a Phoenix, I had the perfect number of pips and it was my most powerful attack, but I only pulled it off about 30% of the times I tried. He served no purpose aside from having wings that were too small for his bulbous belly.

Wizard 101 was a blast and a half when it came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS