Marvel's Spider-Man Remaster - Port and Gameplay Experiences

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
That part looks cool. I just wonder how awkward the swinging is.
Just swinging to navigate is pretty easy. The game auto locates the web shots as you do, as long as you're swinging near something higher than you. Even the trees in Central Park work well. You can also tap Space whenever there's a gap of nothing higher than you, which auto shoots a horizontal yank web at a pretty good distance, There's also a skill that allows 2 successive horizontal shots. Seriously, web swinging is one of the easiest things, even turning mid swing 90 degrees to go from a wide street to a narrow alleyway, it's a rush.

For me it's not as fun as the Batman games combat wise, but I could see how if I improve a fair bit at my fighting, this game could get a lot more fun. There may even be simple ways to do that. For instance tonight I discovered you can't just look a direction to toss an enemy that way with a web throw. Spidey has to be turned that direction as well. So this makes me think of binding the default web toss key F, to a mouse thumb button instead. This way I would have all WASD keys free to orient Spidey correctly when web throwing foes.

Last edited:

Sarafan

Community Contributor
The visuals look great on this game. But I'm not sure that it would be fun to play.

If you played Batman Arkham series and liked it, there's a huge chance you'll like Spider-Man as well. Of course the character movement is different, but the general rules of the game are quite similar. Combat is also heavily inspired by Batman.

That part looks cool. I just wonder how awkward the swinging is.
Honestly, you can close your eyes and spam a couple of buttons and you'll swing through the city like a pro. It's almost impossible to screw it up.

@WoodenSaucer going to the next mission area:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Honestly, you can close your eyes and spam a couple of buttons and you'll swing through the city like a pro. It's almost impossible to screw it up.
Oh. That's kinda disappointing, really. I thought you would get to target spots and it would do some semi-wonky physics, so you would have something to master. This sounds more like bumpy flying.
I don't believe in tapping Space. I only believe in using controllers. :D
I find your lack of faith disturbing!

Combat is also heavily inspired by Batman.
Well, the hand to hand melee certainly isn't, meaning Spidey can't auto connect darting around from one enemy to another. Thankfully though, you can still chain a 10-20 combo string together, enough to easily satisfy the combo challenge side objectives I've faced so far, and also enough to unlock special combo moves.

I would say Spidey is more about the web shots, and Batman more about punches and kicks.

Oh. That's kinda disappointing, really. I thought you would get to target spots and it would do some semi-wonky physics, so you would have something to master. This sounds more like bumpy flying.
Everyone knows I don't carefully consider my words. I'm much more like the 20 immortal monkeys banging away at typewriters. "Like a pro" needs some enhancement. Let's go with "like a drunken, addled pro". That's a much more accurate description. The point is that you can be bad at it and still get from point a to point b fairly quickly, but if you get good at it, it's not just faster, it's beautiful. It would definitely be something you would want to master.

There's enough going on with the change from high to low objects you can swing from and very narrow corridors between bindings to keep one plenty busy skillfully plotting a path. If you had to look at every object you shot a web at and swung from, it would be drunken camera time with your view wildly changing all the time. There's a bit of a slow mo effect that happens when you aim a web with RMB or pad equivalent, but that's more appropriate for things like timed side missions where you have to plug water tower leaks or steam vents to keep the city utility systems from falling apart.

That said, there's plenty of "bumpy flying" going on just with side missions like the one for a homeless guy named Howard where you chase down and capture his pigeons that he takes care of. In all 12 chases though I only failed the very first one just once, and it was only because I didn't expect the thing to suddenly fly strait upward when it got within inches of a skyscraper. I had many instances where I bumped off buildings and had to run a bit mid chase, but it's still doable. They did very well actually at accommodating the player movement while web swinging, it's pretty well polished, and forgiving.

The hardest web swinging I've done so far is chasing down one of the main villains Shocker. Even with the skill to shoot two horizontal yank webs back to back, he's fast and hard to catch, and you have to dodge his attacks while web swinging. It can also be hard to avoid his attacks in the final area you fight him.

Last edited:
Well, here's some highlights of my Spider-Man playthrough so far...

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS