Question Looking for advice - new self-build PC

Jun 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi there,

I have ordered a couple of parts to build a new PC as replacement for my still nice but also old i7-3770k-setup.
Meanwhile most of them have arrived, but here and there I am not sure, if everything harmonize.
Therefor I humbly ask for your wisdom of the crowd
My recent part-list:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900X
MB: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX
RAM: 4x16GB G.Skill DIMM GB DDR4-3600 F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC, Trident Z
CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A
Power-Supply: be quiet! System Power 9 CM 700W
Case: be quiet! DARK BASE 700
NVME-SSD for Apps and Video-Processing: Corsair MP600 1TB
NVME-SDD for OS: I am reusing a 500GB from my recent HP Spectre 15" Spectre (inserted 1TB instead)
SATA-SSD for Data: Generic Samsung Sata6-SDD (1TB)
GPU: I am reusing my 1080-TI

Thanks in advance & Cheers.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
My main question for now is: Do you really need 64gb of RAM?

Also, it's very much possible the motherboard won't like 4 sticks of 3600mhz RAM and you'll end up needing to lower the frequency. I already had that with 3000mhz, my motherboard didn't like it and I had to set it to 2933 mhz instead.

Reactions: Frindis
Jun 14, 2020
Visit site
Hey, thanks for your answers.
I assume at first, that most of the parts will pretty harmonize. Regarding RAM, especially the decision for 4x16GB:

My usecases for the desktop are:
1. Gaming
2. Virtualization (via VM or via Container)
3. Image-Processing

Additional I had always trouble when adding RAM, due to different timings, clockings etc, and ended everytime in totally replacing ram then just adding two modules.
therefor my thought was to just fullfill this in advance by using a pretty nice DDR4 to just fill all slots available.

Regarding 2:
I am hosting gameservers for my kids & friends right now on my QNAP NAS... but there are limits, regarding processing but also memory-wise (it takes around 25 minutes to restart the ARK-server, and while ARK-server is running I have to stop the Minecraft-Server :D).

Edit:
Regarding 1. I've to add a special usecase. I am addicted to Kerbal Space Program, which is unfortunately developed via Unity and therefor even from SSD a pretty slow loading game (plus tons of mods).
Therefor I'm looking also forward to use some RAM as RAMDisk.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020
Visit site
In the last three days I have built the system, but I had to choose another RAM due availability issues:

Not so fast Corsair Vengeance, CMK32GX4M2Z3600C18, still a 64gb configuration.

I had some issues having docp setting it's values correct, also I was to lazy to use 3r party tools to calculate the best timings. I just increased the voltage a bit and just reduced the frequency from 3600 to 3400, stable.

Probably any of you has similar RAM in a X570 setup and could please provide me his memory settings?

Thanks in advance :).

Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
For me, I believe my RAM is not compatible with AMD as CPU-Z shows a base speed of 2400MHz instead of 4000MHz. When I turn on XMP the BIOS recognizes the RAM but CPU-Z does not. Kinda a big question mark there so I figure its not compatible. But I knew the risk going in so my fault.

3600MHz is pretty fast. I wouldn't bother overclocking it and Corsair RAM is usually compatible with all systems. XMP or whatever your motherboard designates as RAM overclock should suffice.

Jun 14, 2020
Visit site
Thank you. Meanwhile I have reached 3533Mhz and I am still stable, Memtest reports no errors.
Guess I rather will enjoy this stability then playing around with the settings anymore, as the benefit is just an academic one.
Gaming-wise the bottleneck is clearly the 1080TI and not the missing 67 mhz of the DDR4 :).

TRENDING THREADS