Legion 5 Pro-16ACH6H Laptop crashes at game launch

Jan 20, 2022
Visit site
Greetings,

I bought a new Lenovo Legion 5 Pro with GeForce RTX 3060 (130W) two days ago. For whatever reason, whenever I start a game, it crashes after around 5-10 seconds. Everything works fine though when the laptop charger is not connected.

I could not find a solution so far (tried to change the power plan, to turn off some Windows security / firewall features, reinstall Nvidia drivers, use different versions of those drivers etc.) and could you please help me find what might be the solution here ?

Thank you in advance for your help!

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from "Question regarding Legion 5 Pro-16ACH6H Laptop";
Added paragraph;
Moved to Troubleshooting forum.]

Last edited by a moderator:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If new, you should return, or seek resolution with Lenovo.

Sounds like a possible heat and/or power issue. Are you fans speeding up rapidly when starting a game, before the crash?

Also, have you allowed the system to update Windows and drivers?

Jan 20, 2022
Visit site
Hey @COLGeek,

Thank you for the reply. No, it doesn't seem to be a power issue and there is no strange fan noise / behavior. I've just found out that there are the following error messages in Windows Event Viewer (Windows logs/System):

nvlddmkm error
\Device\Video8
Graphics Exception: ILLEGAL_OPCODE

I can see that there are a lot of discussions about this and I'll post a solution (in case I find any) :)

Reactions: Brian Boru

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hey @COLGeek,

Thank you for the reply. No, it doesn't seem to be a power issue and there is no strange fan noise / behavior. I've just found out that there are the following error messages in Windows Event Viewer (Windows logs/System):

nvlddmkm error
\Device\Video8
Graphics Exception: ILLEGAL_OPCODE

I can see that there are a lot of discussions about this and I'll post a solution (in case I find any) :)
That is an Nvidia driver error. Have you updated those drivers?