PCG Article Latest Windows security update is locking users out of their PCs

hmm, looks in update history... got that 13 days ago.

Bitlocker only applies if you have Windows Pro, so its a bug that doesn't effect everyone who gets it, just those who mistakenly think Pro is useful in a home environment when really Home is good enough for most.

Dubbed KB5012170, this update comes with fixes for exploits that could allow unauthorised code to run during the boot process, so it's important for security, especially when Unified Extensible Firmware Interface is used.
UEFI AKA Unified Extensible FIrmware Interface been around since 2010
So it means any PC made in last 13 years... win 11 won't run well on older PC and trying can run into restrictions such as windows update not working, but win 10 will run on anything that has drivers.

Last edited:
This kind of thing is why I wait a good while before updating to the latest build version. I haven't gotten hit with anything ridiculous like this on the build version I'm running.

That said, it could as well be due to my having turned off literally all telemetry services and any feature I deem non essential to me, including BitLocker. I'm on W10 Pro btw.

The only way to avoid the problems caused by the ridiculous amounts off bloat MS puts into their OS is to not use the features that cause them. It's like that line from Aliens where Ripley suggests to nuke the site, as it's the only way to be sure, except the nuke here is the off switch. :ROFLMAO:

This kind of Tom foolery MS has their customers stumbling into is why completely stripped down "light" versions of their OS exist on torrent sites, and for good reason.

Last edited:
This kind of thing is why I wait a good while before updating to the latest build version. I haven't gotten hit with anything ridiculous like this on the build version I'm running.

That said, it could as well be due to my having turned off literally all telemetry services and any feature I deem non essential to me, including BitLocker. I'm on W10 Pro btw.

The only way to avoid the problems caused by the ridiculous amounts off bloat MS puts into their OS is to not use the features that cause them. It's like that line from Aliens where Ripley suggests to nuke the site, as it's the only way to be sure, except the nuke here is the off switch. :ROFLMAO:

This kind of Tom foolery MS has their customers stumbling into is why completely stripped down "light" versions of their OS exist on torrent sites, and for good reason.
Man, I'm telling you. If Linux supported a couple of programs I need to use, I'd be running it instead of Windows.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Man, I'm telling you. If Linux supported a couple of programs I need to use, I'd be running it instead of Windows.
Yeah it seems the main reason Windows is used so much is it has a broad range of software it supports. However the vast number of Windows compatible software is also why their installers are often made so poorly they fragment files badly, and the reason I always run Perfect Disk in the background.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Bitlocker only applies if you have Windows Pro, so its a bug that doesn't effect everyone who gets it, just those who mistakenly think Pro is useful in a home environment when really Home is good enough for most.
Yeah, I remember seeing a lot of folks posting in Steam forums asking for support and saying they got the Ultimate version of Windows, back when it was called that. It was abundantly clear that they bought it simply because it cost more, so they assumed it was better.

By the way, I looked it up and the Education version of Windows 11 also supports Bitlocker. Makes sense to me, as a lot of students walk around with their computers, so they probably get stolen fairly often. (Never lost, I'm sure. I mean - the games are on that thing! Nobody could possibly forget the game machine!)

If I see someone with the Ultimate version of windows 7, I suspect they didn't pay for it at all. It was the most hacked version and vast majority of its users got it for nothing. Who would spend that much on windows.

Educational version is really close to enterprise when it comes to features. I think main reason its similar is more for learning how it all works.

If I see someone with the Ultimate version of windows 7, I suspect they didn't pay for it at all. It was the most hacked version and vast majority of its users got it for nothing. Who would spend that much on windows.

Educational version is really close to enterprise when it comes to features. I think main reason its similar is more for learning how it all works.
I used to have it legit. My wife's old job provided her with her own MSDN account. She got a certain number of licenses for Win7 Ultimate and the full Visual Studio. That was pretty awesome because I used to be into programming at that time.

Reactions: Zloth and Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts