Question Keycaps or extra keyboard for cleaning purposes.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Hey guys,

Simple question here. I currently own a Corsair K68 RGB keyboard, and I feel like occasionally cleaning it.
The issue I have is that it takes quite some time for the keycaps to dry (I clean them with water), and during that time I can't use my keyboard.

Basically I'm wondering, should I get an extra set of keycaps (which are €55 because Corsair) or just get an extra keyboard?
I already own a membrane keyboard and I don't like it much anymore. Especially not if I want to game on it for a longer period of time.

Because Corsair uses their own sizes of keycaps, there's basically only 1 set of them I can buy, and they're €55.

I also could just buy a 2nd mechanical keyboard and swap them arround when they require cleaning. I don't feel like paying another 150-200 euro for that though.

I possibly could get the Corsair K68 red edition (€90) as extra keyboard. It would be exactly the same, but without the RGB functions.

What other options do I have and what do you guys recommend? If it's about an extra keyboard, I do prefer a full sized keyboard with a rest for your wirst. Also about a max of €100 in Europe. I can order from other countries as long as they support PayPal :)

Reactions: Frindis
Erm, not sure I am going to much help here, but whenever I spill something on my keyboard I use a hairdryer and it does not take to long before the keys are dry. Mabe a combination of towel and hairdryers on max would be more efficient than buying a second keyboard/keys?

When I think of it, rubbing alcohol might be the best solution. All your keys will get clean pretty fast and dry up pretty much instantly. I have used it a couple of times on my keyboard and so far I have not seen any discoloring.

Last edited:

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
It's not necessarily about spilling drinks or something like that, it's never happened to this keyboard, but more about the regularly cleaning.

I'm not really the kind of guy that washes his hands 3 times before starting a game and using his keyboard, so eventually my keys will get dirty. So I have to wash them with water and green soap to clean them properly I think. Even with towels and a hairdryer I think some of the stickyness will stay right?

Also, I thought that if you used a hot airdryer, you risk deforming your keycaps so they don't fit on your switch anymore? Or was that wrong information?

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
That sounds good :D But spilling is not my issue haha.

It's more like this: I will watch a movie with a bag of chips on my PC. I will clean my hands but not properly enough, so eventually my keyboard will get fat keycaps. I want to clean them occasionally and I don't think I can clean this with towels and a hairdryer. To remove fat from keycaps I think I should clean them more thoroughly.

Reactions: Frindis
May 14, 2020
Visit site
Just use an electrical solvent to clean your keys/caps or even entire board if you wish.

It will clean better than water and you will be able to use your hardware within minutes of cleaning it.

Super Servisol is probably the most common brand but any generic brand will do. It's essentially IPA in a spray can.

I don't feel like paying another 150-200 euro for that though.
It's on Amazon.de for $130. Granted that's a lot more than 55€ but if I really liked the keyboard and was going to buy a 2nd set of caps I'd be tempted to just get a 2nd one whole. Potentially waiting for a sale.

Also, I thought that if you used a hot airdryer, you risk deforming your keycaps so they don't fit on your switch anymore? Or was that wrong information?
I recently had to clean my membrane keyboard, and the water was deep into the recesses of the caps. I used this thing to blow them out and dry them faster:

Had it any to dust the PC and various other things, so while perhaps not optimal, water + cold air was at least almost free.

Reactions: Inspireless Llama

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Frankly, there probably isn't "best middle ground" for this. I am lucky to have two similiar mechanical keyboards and an old membrane just in case, same with mousepads. Maybe hunting for some spicy offer would be good idea? Like on drop (ex-mass drop), when even I managed to grab few things in ok-ish price even after I got "VAT-ed" by customs.

Or maybe get keyboard that doesn't limit your keycaps. Just another idea.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Yeah I was also looking at MX keyboards that aren't Corsair and use generic keycaps. Got any tips for them?

Haha, buying from outside Europe gets a pain because of Customs VAT :D So maybe wait for an offer where there's an mechanical keyboard for under €20 lol.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
I never played around with changing keycaps, I own Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L Keyboard and CM Storm QuickFire Pro both with CherryMX Brown switches. They seem to have standard layout, so anything suits them - but they're kinda price'y.

On Drop right now I see Durgod for 80$ (30-40$ cheaper apparently), they're one of the cheapest "solid looking" on Cherry switches boards I have seen in there: https://drop.com/buy/durgod-k310-taurus-mechanical-keyboard

Sometimes there are offers for mechanical keyboard below 100$, but under 20$ might be a rare sight :p Keep an eye on special offers in your country. Or try your luck in giveaways. Tough decision, I know.

And customs VAT can be nasty, luckily for me when I buy things that may get this treatment I always calculate how much would that be and only when I am sure even with VAT it would be cheaper than here, I commit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts