Key gets locked briefly after holding down

Oct 12, 2024
Visit site
Hello! A strange issue started with my gaming laptop, playing League of Legends.
I have my spacebar bound to 'focus camera to character'. I started using this continuously. So whilst gaming I hold down my space bar for 3-5 min straight (without releasing it) and then release it some times to look around on the map.

The problem: my spacebar gets stuck for a few seconds after I take my finger off it. When I hold down the space bar for 20 sec, it will stay focused on my character for ~0.2 sec. 1 min holding it down is about ~0.6 sec and holding it down without releasing for 5 min it can go up to ~3 seconds. Also when I chat in game the spacebar does not work (right after releasing) and the wordsshowuplikethis.

Is the simple answer that the hardware is a bit sticky and I should get a professional have it cleaned? Or might there be something wrong with the software?

Thank you for your response! :)

Hello! A strange issue started with my gaming laptop, playing League of Legends.
I have my spacebar bound to 'focus camera to character'. I started using this continuously. So whilst gaming I hold down my space bar for 3-5 min straight (without releasing it) and then release it some times to look around on the map.

The problem: my spacebar gets stuck for a few seconds after I take my finger off it. When I hold down the space bar for 20 sec, it will stay focused on my character for ~0.2 sec. 1 min holding it down is about ~0.6 sec and holding it down without releasing for 5 min it can go up to ~3 seconds. Also when I chat in game the spacebar does not work (right after releasing) and the wordsshowuplikethis.

Is the simple answer that the hardware is a bit sticky and I should get a professional have it cleaned? Or might there be something wrong with the software?

Thank you for your response! :)

I would suspect its a mechanical problem. Definitely take off the keys and clean underneath first. Even in a pretty clean environment its surprising how much stuff gets in between the keycaps over time.

Whats the make and model of the keyboard?

You could have the keyboard/laptop cleaned professionally or you could take the keyboard off and dip it into an ultrasonic cleaner.

If you're trying to lift the spacebar key off the laptop's keyboard;
View: https://youtu.be/q9GvKlw-WgA

but I'd use either two toothpicks or a small flat head precision screwdriver.

Did you spill anything on the laptop's keyboard at any point of time and dried it?

Reactions: Brian Boru
Oct 12, 2024
Visit site
You could have the keyboard/laptop cleaned professionally or you could take the keyboard off and dip it into an ultrasonic cleaner.

If you're trying to lift the spacebar key off the laptop's keyboard;
View: https://youtu.be/q9GvKlw-WgA

but I'd use either two toothpicks or a small flat head precision screwdriver.

Did you spill anything on the laptop's keyboard at any point of time and dried it?
Thank you! I'll bring it to a local repair shop and have them apply all answers at once. Hopefully one will help! :)

What? No one suggested slamming the spacebar repeatedly hoping to jog something loose? How about pouring talcum powder around the key to tack onto the sticky substance and then blowing the rest out with a leaf blower? Amateurs...

I'm going to start my own version of Tom's Hardware, but you have to sign a liability waiver to access the forums.

• Haha

TRENDING THREADS