Question Joystick for PC gaming

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Hi all, I've not gamed for a few years (R-Type with a joystick with 2 buttons was the last time). I want to get into a few games with my son as he's keen to play together, but I'm struggling with the controllers that are available these days. I ordered a Logotech Extreme 3D Pro thinking I could program it for use with any game, but it seems like it's only compatible with flight games. Is there any such thing as a universal joystick these days that can be used with any game? I'm struggling to find anything like this, any guidance or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Reactions: neogunhero
Check out this joystick from Amazon. Reviews are good, people say they like the build quality and it’s compatible with many retro emulators for PC. I would give this one a shot, I don’t have it personally but based on reviews and comparing it to others I seen on Amazon, this seems to be one of the better ones.

When looking for joysticks, these days I think “joystick” mainly means flightsticks. You need to search more specifically, like “USB retro joystick”, that’s how I found the one I linked above.

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Check out this joystick from Amazon. Reviews are good, people say they like the build quality and it’s compatible with many retro emulators for PC. I would give this one a shot, I don’t have it personally but based on reviews and comparing it to others I seen on Amazon, this seems to be one of the better ones.

When looking for joysticks, these days I think “joystick” mainly means flightsticks. You need to search more specifically, like “USB retro joystick”, that’s how I found the one I linked above.

Thanks I'll check it out.

Reactions: neogunhero
What kind of games does your son want to play?

The amount of inputs needed to play games might be beyond most joysticks now. A PS4 Controller has 16 buttons including the menu ones, I imagine it would be hard to find a joystick that would have that many buttons so you'd be missing a fair amount of inputs. Games are way more complicated than they used to be.

Fully prepared to eat my hat on this one, but I think the stick linked above is meant to play retro games from the 90s and before. I dont think it will get you far in Fortnite or Minecraft unfortunately.

Fully prepared to eat my hat on this one, but I think the stick linked above is meant to play retro games from the 90s and before. I dont think it will get you far in Fortnite or Minecraft unfortunately.

You’re right, I misunderstood the original post. The joystick I posted definitely is for old “retro” games where that many buttons was standard. It probably will not be good for any modern games, especially since a lot of 3D games require you to move a camera in conjunction with the character, so one joystick will be insufficient.

@Stav it’s only good for old games, fully compatible with emulators.

It's for me to try and join in gaming with my son, so would be all the usual teen games. You're right, the joystick above is for retro so wouldn't be much use. I think the reality is I'll just need to learn how to use a controller!
It might be worth checking out Razer keypad(like Tartarus 2), it has programmable keys and a small joystick(for thumb).
It might give you the edge over your son:)

TRENDING THREADS