Is Red Skull Summit 16552-1 Motherboard compatible with Ryzen 5 5600G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2022
Visit site
Hello, fellow Gamers

Can anyone help me out, please?

I tried to upgrade my son's old gaming PC (Dell Inspiron Gaming PC) with a much beefier cooler and while I was removing old CPU cooler, I must damage CPU (Ryzen 2700x) that was stuck very strongly onto old CPU Cooler. Now, it does power on but no booting, no screen, keyboard or mouse is responding.

Since I might have to replace the CPU, I am thinking to replace it with a newer model Ryzen 5 5600G with an integrated graphic card.

My concern is if the existing motherboard is compatible with a newer CPU like Ryzen 5 5600G.

The motherboard is Red Skull Summit 16552-1 which is widely used among Dell PCs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and it is time critical since my son is very frustrating that he cannot play games any longer.... (ouch).

Thank you...

Reactions: Frindis
Jan 9, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Perhaps this thread might help;

Thank you for quoting the thread. I read it a couple of times and could not find a definite answer. All I found is that Dell does not support future CPU but not sure it means that it is not compatible with Ryzen 5 5600G.

Is it really different between the existing Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 5600G in terms of structure and compatibility?

Can you verify what chipset the board is based off of? I might find it but brands like HP and Dell are notorious for preventing you from dropping in higher spec'd parts into a build to create an artificial limitation. It's why I don't recommend a prebuilt to anyone(although some exceptions have been made during the pandemic).

You need to stop looking towards the 5000 series, that is definitely not going to work out of the box since their BIOS version will certainly limit you from going any higher.

Not supported and not compatible are the same thing - if the board won't support it, it's not compatible.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 9, 2022
Visit site
Can you verify what chipset the board is based off of? I might find it but brands like HP and Dell are notorious for preventing you from dropping in higher spec'd parts into a build to create an artificial limitation. It's why I don't recommend a prebuilt to anyone(although some exceptions have been made during the pandemic).

You need to stop looking towards the 5000 series, that is definitely not going to work out of the box since their BIOS version will certainly limit you from going any higher.

Not supported and not compatible are the same thing - if the board won't support it, it's not compatible.

Thank you for your explanation. I should have known this before purchasing used pre-built gaming PC.

Re; what chipset the board is baesd off, do you mean CPU? If so, it was factory built with Ryzen 7 2700X which was the top model back then.

There's a chipset on the motherboard that's located under the discrete GPU, which from the above image is located under the silver heatsink. It's alright, I found the info I was going to shoehorn into my prior post with an edit but the universe had other things in store for me.

Here's the specs to the motherboard;
I dug that up off of the prebuilt it should be coming out of, so it's an X370 chipset. Sadly, it's a prebuilt so I'm not expecting anything to happen past your 2700x. In fact if you were owning a motherboard made by say, Asus, ASRock, MSI or Gigabyte, you'd have been able to comfortably drop in a 3000 series processor, simply because they state that to be possible and they have released BIOS updates that will allow you to move to the next platform, with caveats(the 300 series bottom of the barrel boards lacked proper VRM cooling/design/components to deal with the 3000 series processors), ofc but that's sadly not possible on prebuilts.

*Edit;
+ You're welcome!
++ You might want to get a good quality thermal paste before reapplying the CPU onto the CPU, after you've removed the previous thermalpaste layer with isopropyl alcohol.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022
Visit site
Thank you very much for the info. I will try to locate same CPU chip (Ryzen 7 2700).
This old CPU costs almost same as newer chips somehow. Hope I can locate one soon and keep my son happy again.

Welcome!

Did you rip the CPU out of the socket while removing the cooler? If so, can you try and parse a couple of pictures of what you're seeing, bent pins? Broken socket? I'm worried you might have a damaged motherboard socket.

Just for the sake of relevance, next time you want to remove the cooler off of an AMD AM4 and prior platform motherboard, make sure the system is running for 5-10 mins, shut down, disconnect and then after undoing the screws for the mount, twist in a clockwise manner then lift up. The cold thermal paste tends to act as Loctite...which is not a joke, atop of the CPU's IHS. This is one example;
View: https://youtu.be/xQq-MQWAboI

Jan 9, 2022
Visit site
Thanks again and it is a great tip.

I should read some tips before trying to replace cooler fan. Expensive mistake for sure... Yes, it was very tightly stuck and I thought that I had to unscrew brackets so unscrew brackets on both sides and pull it off.

I noticed that one row of CPU pins was slightly bent so carefully straighten them up and it fitted fine then.

In the beginning, it did not even power on but after juggling a bit, it started powering on but the monitor, keyboard and mouse were not responding at all. And, orange light on power button blinking (when it worked fine, green light blinked)

I suspect the pin socket is possibly damaged. Is there any way to replace AMD 4 socket to try to see if it is socket damage instead of CPU?

If I have another computer to try then it would been much easier but do not have...

Here are photos of the CPU pin and socket.

Jan 9, 2022
Visit site
lzDzX2W.jpg

Can you take a photo of the processor in another angle, to show if all the pins are straight? Also, can you see any pins that are out of shape and perhaps knocked off(broken)? Edit, you beat me to it. You can use Isopropyl alcohol to wipe the slight amount of thermal paste near the bottom of that top photo.

When dropping the processor back into the board, make sure to line up the arrow on the board with the arrow on the processor.

What is the make and model of the aftermarket cooler you were going to replace the stock cooler with?

Jan 9, 2022
Visit site
You can use Isopropyl alcohol to wipe the slight amount of thermal paste near the bottom of that top photo.

When dropping the processor back into the board, make sure to line up the arrow on the board with the arrow on the processor.

What is the make and model of the aftermarket cooler you were going to replace the stock cooler with?

I will try to clean it with isopropyl alcohol shortly and report back.

Yep. it is perfectly aligned now. Previously it was not when the some of pins where bent slightly. After straighten them, it fits perfectly.

One thing I found is that some of the socket holes were not aligned perfectly so used pointed gimlet and carefully put into some of holes so it aligned and CPU now goes in without any gap between socket and bottom of CPU.

The make and model of cooler is Noctua NH-D15. However, it is a bit too big to fit into existing chassis so I put original one back and cleaned old thermal paste and put new paste.

Jan 9, 2022
Visit site
Just cleaned thermal paste near the bottom off with iso alcohol and tried and still the same result. Powers on but no response on screen, mouse and keyboard and orange light blinking...

Jan 9, 2022
Visit site
If it is the case that CPU is dead, instead of purchasing same old CPU, can I just get new motherboard that is more upgrade friendly?

I am thinking to get any one of below 3 matx motherboards;

ASRock X570M Pro4
MSI MAG B550M Bazooka
ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4

and put Ryzen 5 5600G and put all of the existing components from Dell gaming PC.

The main concern is if existing power supply is compatible with those matx motherboards.

Here is the spec sticker on the PS.

SITBPst.jpg

Last edited:
You might want to avoid spending anymore resources on that prebuilt and think about hitting your targets. I'd take the processor over to a friend or neighbor's place, or even a store where they have the platform that can accept your processor and can verify that your processor isn't the one that's conked out.

If the processor works, then it's probably the motherboard. You can drop a known working processor(not the one you have) onto your motherboard and see if you get display to rule out getting a replacement board.

If you start looking into buying a new motherboard, CPU and ram combo(assuming your current ram kit isn't DDR4-3200MHz), you're already on the verge of building a computer from the ground up.

Might want to read through this thread;
same story with swapping the innards to another case...same story with compatibility and support.

Jan 9, 2022
Visit site
You might want to avoid spending anymore resources on that prebuilt and think about hitting your targets. I'd take the processor over to a friend or neighbor's place, or even a store where they have the platform that can accept your processor and can verify that your processor isn't the one that's conked out.

If the processor works, then it's probably the motherboard. You can drop a known working processor(not the one you have) onto your motherboard and see if you get display to rule out getting a replacement board.

If you start looking into buying a new motherboard, CPU and ram combo(assuming your current ram kit isn't DDR4-3200MHz), you're already on the verge of building a computer from the ground up.

Might want to read through this thread;
same story with swapping the innards to another case...same story with compatibility and support.

Great suggestion. Thanks. I will try to find a shop that can take the CPU to test.

Meanwhile, I decided to build a PC with a new motherboard and CPU and just ordered below;

+ AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
+ ASUS AM4 MicroATX PRIME B550M-A WIFI

I will try to salvage all the other required parts such as HDD & SSD, the power supply, CPU Cooler, RAM (existing RAM 2 x Corsair DDR4 8GB ram) from Dell gaming PC.

I will sell the existing GPU (RX580) to cover some of the expenses and use Ryzen 5600G integrated GPU itself.

Those two main parts ordered are expected to arrive end of this week and hope I can build it and make it work so my son can play game again soon.

I will try to salvage all the other required parts such as HDD & SSD, the power supply, CPU Cooler, RAM (existing RAM 2 x Corsair DDR4 8GB ram) from Dell gaming PC.
Please stop! Leave the prebuilt as is. If the board is the issue, you can source a replacement board from Aliexpress or Ebay but not after you've ruled out the board and the rest are in working order.

This entire thread seems like you were looking for a reason(from us at least) to get a Ryzen 5 5600G, if that was the case all along, you might've just started afresh(building from the ground up) and got things right at first go, as opposed to recreating another mistake.

I will sell the existing GPU (RX580) to cover some of the expenses and use Ryzen 5600G integrated GPU itself.
The RX580 is a better prospect with GPU fidelity, as opposed to the iGPU on the APU. What games does your son play?

Jan 9, 2022
Visit site
Please stop! Leave the prebuilt as is. If the board is the issue, you can source a replacement board from Aliexpress or Ebay but not after you've ruled out the board and the rest are in working order.

This entire thread seems like you were looking for a reason(from us at least) to get a Ryzen 5 5600G, if that was the case all along, you might've just started afresh(building from the ground up) and got things right at first go, as opposed to recreating another mistake.

The RX580 is a better prospect with GPU fidelity, as opposed to the iGPU on the APU. What games does your son play?

Hello,

I must pull the trigger too fast. :)

Re: replacement mobo, does it have to be another Red Skull Summit 16552-1 if mobo is the issue?

The main reason for replacing CPU and Mobo is that the Red Skull is not upgrade-friendly and 2700X is already maxed out hence I was thinking to replace mobo that is upgrade friendly since either CPU or Mobo need to be replaced to make it work again anyhow.

My son mainly plays Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, Minecraft and Tetris.

Re: replacement mobo, does it have to be another Red Skull Summit 16552-1 if mobo is the issue?
Yes. I'd advise against dropping an aftermarket board into a prebuilt since you're going to have trouble with the front panel power, LED and reset button connectivity.

Tell you what, do your calculations on a piece of paper and see how much you're spending on upgrading the prebuilt. No matter which way you look at it, your return on investments are going to be in the high(not low) negatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS