Question Is My CPU Temperature Too High?

As far as the CPU is concerned, those temps are safe and okay.

Especially with an overclock on the CPU and the BCLK.

That doesn't necessarily mean your cooling is performing properly - if you have a very good CPU cooler, a case with good airflow, and have cleaned fans and radiators of dust recently, and have repasted the CPU relatively recently, etc, that could still be hotter than expected. Can't really say without knowing the above, or the kind of ambient temps you have.

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Is there a way to find out ambient temps?

I run a nzxt phantom 410 case with
1x 140mm front - intake
1x 140mm side - intake
1x 120mm rear - exhaust
2x 140mm top - exhaust
And have stock CPU cooler

Haven't repasted but did give a bit of a dust the other day.

So the Temps are nothing to worry about atm though?

You overclocked the CPU like that on the stock cooler? Those temps are pretty good then - assuming it was a demanding gaming load. Not all games tax the CPU the same.

I'd probably buy a better CPU cooler if planning to keep the CPU overclocked though. While the temps are fine, it might be ideal to keep temps below 80 during gaming loads. Some gaming loads could make it go higher than what you posted, potentially.

Reactions: Pumpkinslayer
Depends on your budget and local pricing, but just about any tower cooler with a 120mm fan would be a big upgrade over the Intel stock cooler. You could pretty much stick a pin in a catalogue and buy what the pin lands on.

Just to check, you're sure what you have is the stock Intel cooler, right? Looks a lot like this ? :)

Assuming you just want a decent, not too expensive, cooler to do the job, the Cooler Master 212 Evo is ever-popular as a stock CPU cooler upgrade:

The be Quiet! Pure Rock is a similar sort of thing.

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Yeah my current cooler is identical to the one in the picture.

I was actually just looking at the 212 black edition.
Is there any difference between the evo / black?

I reckon this will be the cooler I'll pick up

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
How is the RAM mounted in your PC? Are they all on the right side of your CPU?

If that's the case, the Scythe Mugen 5 will avoid all incompabilities because of RAM height. The cooler bends back away from the RAM modules. I'm not sure if they support the specific socket though (but there are other versions available). Also, the cooler is huge, so it could be an incompability if it doesn't fit into your case :blush:

620-2.jpg

@techtesters.eu

I dont think it really matter which slots you use for RAM as long its 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 to keep it dual channel. I think motherboard manuals say there's a preferable way but it didn't seem to affect anything AFAIK when Ive done it.

However had those exact same style Corsair DDR3 sticks before, I was able to use a similar cooler to the 212 EVO (Arctic I30) with them without a problem.

You can also just slide the fan up a tiny bit on the heatsink so that the bottom of it rests on the top of the RAM. It seems your case has 170mm clearance for coolers and the 212 is 160mm tall so it should be fine. It will hardly affect performance.

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
As far as the CPU is concerned, those temps are safe and okay.

Especially with an overclock on the CPU and the BCLK.

That doesn't necessarily mean your cooling is performing properly - if you have a very good CPU cooler, a case with good airflow, and have cleaned fans and radiators of dust recently, and have repasted the CPU relatively recently, etc, that could still be hotter than expected. Can't really say without knowing the above, or the kind of ambient temps you have.

Sorry to bring this back up, but did the voltage look alright on the OC Cpu? And am i able to get a bit more out of it? Or are the 2700k very limited?
TIA

Sorry, what do you mean BIOS settings? What did you actually do, what settings did you input?

What did you set the voltage to in the BIOS? if it's the same as CPU-Z says then it's apparently fine. CPU-Z apparently used to sometimes misreport the voltage I think for Sandy Bridge, so just checking.

Sandy Bridge overclocking predates my (still quite limited) experience by 1 generation I'm afraid :) I started with Ivy.

My eyebrow is raised however by the BCLK overclock - the 103MHz vs the default 100. You'd normally just increase the multiplier. And could probably raise the multiplier further, if only OCing that.

Will depend on your individual chip, but:
And being a 2700k, it may do better.

1x 140mm front - intake
1x 140mm side - intake
1x 120mm rear - exhaust
2x 140mm top - exhaust
And have stock CPU cooler

How dusty does it get in there? With negative pressure (more exhaust than intakes) all the dust be getting into all unfiltered cracks in case.

I would have had 2 x 120 on front (in)
1 x 140 on side (in) (although this isn't filtered)
not sure you need 3 exhaust really. One is probably enough.. perhaps the 120 on the rear.

if you have more in than out, all extra air will try to escape the gaps that aren't filtered (and this is what you want to keep PC dust free)

it might not help, just thought I mention it :)

TRENDING THREADS