Is it required to buy a cpu cooler other than stock cooler for gaming?

May 28, 2021
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I am new here, I am building my pc and I went to several guides this week, most of them suggest using the stock cooler which I receive with my Ryzen 9 3900X processor. But some YouTubers suggest that we shouldn't use any kind of stock CPU cooler if we are making it for gaming only.

I am a bit confused right now, here this guide that I was following while assembling the parts suggests using stock for gaming also, many people way it would work fine.

So hope you got my concern that should I buy a CPU cooler or not, if yes, then suggest a best for Ryzen. I got 3080 for gaming if this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: YoghaAW
It will work fine with the stock cooler as long as you have enough case fans moving air through and your room temperature isnt too high (hot climate).

You may lose a little performance as Ryzen CPU's boost frequency based on temperatures, but given decent case airflow it shouldn't be major.

What you might find is that the stock cooler gets a little loud, in which case an aftermarket cooler might be better.

Why do you want to suggest a cooler for Intel if you're getting a Ryzen CPU?

Reactions: muhammadhyasrian
it comes with a Wraith Spire cooler, most articles I find suggest using a AIO or a better cooler. but that depends on if you plan on overclocking it as well.

Ryzen CPU might cause the fans to ramp up and down depending on fan curve. So using an AIO reduces that as they normally base their fan curves on liquid temp. I have a 3600xt and its cores always bouncing from 41 to 51 all day, and yet I can't tell as my AIO is always same fan speed.

May 28, 2021
Visit site
It will work fine with the stock cooler as long as you have enough case fans moving air through and your room temperature isnt too high (hot climate).

You may lose a little performance as Ryzen CPU's boost frequency based on temperatures, but given decent case airflow it shouldn't be major.

What you might find is that the stock cooler gets a little loud, in which case an aftermarket cooler might be better.

Why do you want to suggest a cooler for Intel if you're getting a Ryzen CPU?
So it means it will be fine right?

And I mistyped intel in worry my bad as its my first ryzen processor.

As Colif said unless youre planning on overclocking it will work.

You can always pick up a better cooler later on if it proves a problem. Just make sure you think about your case airflow, get a couple extra case fans and check your GPU and CPU temperatures while gaming to make sure things are not getting too toasty.

TRENDING THREADS