Question Is it now a good time to upgrade?

May 25, 2020
Visit site
Hello Community,

I'm new here xD and I am a casual gamer.

I got some money recently (yeyy!!) and I have had wondering if this is a good time to upgrade my PC now.

I am wondering that because my actual PC can run the newest game with good settings (sometimes ultra). But, in some cases like Assassinds Creed Oddysey I realized my pc is getting older and older hehe. The FPS drops to 25some times in High-Ultra mix setting 1080p monitor.

For that reason, I don´t sure if I should upgrade or maybe wait 2 o 3 years.

CPU Intel Core i7 2600k Stock.
RAM 16 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz.
GPU EVGA GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 Suplerclocked edition.

Maybe I could upgrade CPU + MoBo + RAM and still have my GTX 970 for a while (It's even a good GPU mid-range builds). And Later maybe buy a RTX 2016 or GTX 1060.

I saw on amazon i5 9600k (200$) + MoBo + 16 Gb RAM DDR4 2333mhz (200$). Total 400$ keeping my actual GPU.

What do you think guys about it?.

Thank you very much in advance for your time :)

There's always something new around the corner, so it's always temping to hold off on upgrading.

That said, later this year will see AMD's Zen 3 CPUs, new GPUs by Nvidia, and new GPUs by AMD too.

Upgrading your CPU now is kind of pointless, as while it will help a bit with AC:OD, you'll still be GPU bound most of the time. On the other hand, upgrading the GPU now means you'll get CPU bottlenecked periodically in AC:OD. So upgrading both at the same time, and perhaps making a jump up from 1080p at the same time (since 1440p is now becoming mainstream). A lot of the new stuff is expected from September so perhaps hold off until then, and also save up a little more so you can do a more substantial upgrade in one go.

Not to mention poor availability of certain components right now, as @loomis1978 notes

As for the 9600k specifically, it's not worth buying especially with the new CPUs and platform Intel just released too.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Since I have a bit similar specs, I will chip in and say: wait. In just few months (probably september) both Nvidia and AMD are supposed to show off their new GPU's and there's also new AMD's CPU on the way. With new stuff not so far on the horizon and with current covid-related-issues, I would advice waiting.

Good things happen to people who wait. Right?

May 25, 2020
Visit site
Thanks very much you guys.

Yes, you all are right.

I decided to keep my PC for a while.

I could earn a little more money and buy in the future better componenents and no worring about 3 years about upgrade again my PC.

TRENDING THREADS