Question Intel Build for NVIDIA RTX 3070

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
Dear PCGamers!!!

I hope you all are doing well at this crucial time due to the global pandemic.
As the title says, I am thinking of a build for the just-released new NVIDIA RTX 3000 series.

So, I would like to have your insights in the following build I did in order to put an RTX 3070 on it, please tell me what you think and what you would change (why?)!
Also, the budget is limited to roughly 1k7 (USD / EUR)

Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX LGA1200
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18
Hard Drive: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME + Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Case: NZXT H510 Elite ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold
Graphics Card: NVIDIA RTX 3070

What do you think? Will I have a good compromise with performance/price?

Take care!

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
Intended uses? what software?

What monitors(s) is it being used with?

Mostly I am a technology lover and I do like clean builds.
I play some FPS games (cs:go, COD) and some RPG as well. Nothing too competitive.

As for the screen I have an AOC 144hz IPS panel.

A RTX 3070+ is frankly wasted on a 1080p monitor - I'd get a higher res monitor.

32gb RAM will give no benefit vs 16gb for general gaming

The i7 CPU sits in a weird middle ground between the 10900k and 10600k. As well as offering poor value vs Zen 2. And given that the 3070 will not be available until October it arguably makes sense to wait for Zen 3 before building the system.

Modern games can be quite large so I'd have probably suggested a 1TB SSD, which in the context of the build overall is a small extra expense.

Reactions: ShadowTiger
Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
I know that RTX3070 is way better compared to the monitor I have. The thing is that, after watching NVIDIA presentation is kinda useless to buy an older generation of RTX. For the price of an RTX 2070 you get the new 3070 which is faster than a 2080ti according to NVIDIA.
So it makes sense to go for it right now. I also intend to upgrade the monitor in the future.

As for the processor, I was thinking of going to AMD burning never had one and I don’t really know if I’m ready for the change.
I also know that AMD is now supporting PCIe4.0 which is not the case on Intel’s side. However the performance is not that different (PCIe3.0 vs 4.0).

the 32gb ram is mostly because I do some GPU coding and I need extra for some tasks.

would you recommend AMD Ryzen 9 over the i7 ?

I'd recommend waiting for a Zen 3 CPU tbh. And very possibly an R7 or R9 from that stable.

As for the monitor, I'd recommend upgrading ASAP as otherwise you're just leaving GPU horsepower on the shelf.

I also know that AMD is now supporting PCIe4.0 which is not the case on Intel’s side. However the performance is not that different (PCIe3.0 vs 4.0).
What I get what you're saying, it would be prudent to wait and see what the story is with RTX 3090 and PCIe 4.0 and then re-evaluating. And considering future GPUs beyond the 3070. Not to mention storage. Also, would RTX IO benefit from the increased bandwidth?

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
What I get what you're saying, it would be prudent to wait and see what the story is with RTX 3090 and PCIe 4.0 and then re-evaluating. And considering future GPUs beyond the 3070. Not to mention storage. Also, would RTX IO benefit from the increased bandwidth?

That's a good question.

Thanks for the advice! I will wait for a few couple of months and see what I would need to change.
Some part of me wants to try the AMD but I'm not really 100% sure about it.

See how it reviews I guess.

It's a different architecture to Intel (who have been stuck on Skylake since 2015 :(), and there are things about it that are different as a result. But in real terms, building with it is the same, setting the RAM speed in the BIOS is the same, using it in Windows is the same. You can obsess over tuning the memory for Ryzen CPUs, but you can for Intel too.

Zen CPU tweaking has become well enough understood by the community that there's even now a tool that just does it for you. To be clear that kind of tuning isn't essential, it's just a sign of enthusiast tweaking going mainstream.

It's largely a question of straight up performance.

Intel still has a lead at the top end in gaming versus AMD's Zen 2 CPUs, though pricing (not just of the CPU, but the CPU + mobo package) - and the extent to which you can actually perceive a difference in usage - starts to come into it. And for certain non-gaming workloads, AMD's CPUs can often match or mop the floor with their Intel counterparts.

Zen 3 will tweak the design to deal with one of the issues that has undermined AMD's performance in gaming relative to Intel. Even if Intel technically retains the crown, the differences could by then be so slight that the attractiveness of PCIe 4.0, maybe power consumption. and any other factors, become the deciders.

I suppose we shall see soon enough :)

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 28, 2020
Visit site
Dear PCGamers!!!

I hope you all are doing well at this crucial time due to the global pandemic.
As the title says, I am thinking of a build for the just-released new NVIDIA RTX 3000 series.

So, I would like to have your insights in the following build I did in order to put an RTX 3070 on it, please tell me what you think and what you would change (why?)!
Also, the budget is limited to roughly 1k7 (USD / EUR)

Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX LGA1200
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18
Hard Drive: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME + Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Case: NZXT H510 Elite ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold
Graphics Card: NVIDIA RTX 3070

What do you think? Will I have a good compromise with performance/price?

Take care!
I'm not really seeing "compromise" here... Unless you assess compromise as not buying the utmost of everything as being a compromise. I think of it as comparable to saying purchasing a Mclaren is a compromise instead of buying a Lambo.

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
I'm not really seeing "compromise" here... Unless you assess compromise as not buying the utmost of everything as being a compromise. I think of it as comparable to saying purchasing a Mclaren is a compromise instead of buying a Lambo.
I did not understand what you wanted to say.
The "compromise" is the fact that the new GPUs are coming out and I wanted to prepare a machine in advance to receive them.
But, since there are a lot of questions that I do not know the answers, therefore, I decide to ask for advice.

Jul 28, 2020
Visit site
You said, and I quote, "Will I have a good compromise with performance/price". There's no compromise in your suggested build. That will perform stellar, cost under 2 grand (U.S. pricing), and offer premium performance in all regards (gaming/video/audio editing/workflow) for several years with no reason to replace or upgrade anything.

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
Yes, you are correct.
However, for the same price range, there might be other combinations that offer better performance at a cheaper price. That was the intention of my question.

Jul 28, 2020
Visit site
Yes, you are correct.
However, for the same price range, there might be other combinations that offer better performance at a cheaper price. That was the intention of my question.
Hmmm... alright, fair enough. 'Spose it really boils down to your usage then. AMD has some Ryzen CPUs w/ more cores, so if you have any sort of multi-threaded workflow that could be a benefit. Dumping the HDD for a larger NVMe could have its uses also, if speed is preferable to space. Variables are aplenty, and none factor in plausible future concerns/needs which may arise. Barring a GPU shortage, I'd recommend waiting until early November when holiday deals start rearing their head, and if u can justify the cost of the build you suggested now, just pull the trigger. Granted the 3070 isn't slated for release until Oct. anyway, but other components could see a price cut. Either way, don't overly scrutinize something for an overly long period of time when you can spend that time enjoying it. GL m8

Reactions: kapz
Jul 28, 2020
Visit site
Is a 1440p monitor enough?
If you've a high refresh rate 1440 (120hz/144hz/165hz etc) the a 3070 would probably perform great in everything out now and for awhile to come. If you have a 60hz monitor then the 3070 is almost undoubtedly overkill. But you'd always have room to upgrade monitor later if that's the case.

Reactions: Oussebon

TRENDING THREADS