Installing additional fans

Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone!

Kindly help me with this as I am not that much expert.

I want to install 2 additional fans on my computer.
I will add them on the top of the case.

This is my MB MSI-H410M PRO (MS-7C89) -- MB website link -- | -- MB manual --
This MB only support 1 PWM and it is already occupied by a fan installed on the side of the case.

1) Can I use a PWM cable with 3 splitters to have in total 3 fans on 1 PWM plug on the MB?
Will this affect somehow the MB? Should I check technical details about the supported powerload that the MB stands?
Please help me with this, I really don't know how to do !

2) I heard that it is an option to install the fans on the PSU as well.
What's the real difference? Will the PSU have more workload and therefore not a good idea to do so ?

3) To have the lighting on the fans, do I necessarily need the RGB plug on the MB or is it possible to have that also without?
This model of MB have 1 RGB plug but I see that it is actually not there, probably manufacturing failure.

I would really appreciate if you could help me with this!

Thank you very much in advance :)

Hi, the short answer to your question is yes.

According to your manual you could run 12 Watts off of your sys1 fan slot.

If you look at the back of the fan you are using it will tell you how many amps (A) it runs at. It will be something like 0.13.

4 pin PWM fans always run at 12 Volts. 3 Pin fans are voltage controlled and so speed up and slow down as the voltage is altered. I would imagine you have 4 pin fans. Either way doesn't really matter, I believe most modern board can do both as long as you change the control method in BIOS.

If you remember any basic electrical theory you'll remember P=VI meaning the Power in watts is calculated by multiplying Voltage(V) x Current(I)

So if one of your fans runs at a current of 0.2A @ 12V it will consume 2.4 watts of power, so running three fans shouldnt be a problem.

TRENDING THREADS